Re: Revelations as Valentinian Scripture--Who's calling?

  • morphodyte
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2002
      Yes that was a bit of me channeling Sta. Teresa de Avila I
      suppose, in some mystic frenzy seeing Achamoth giving suck to
      her fallen child Yaltabaoth.

      Sometimes the symbols seem so clear and I find it impossible
      to write anything coherent because I haven't the language and
      the language is what Valentinus or Mani provide...I think.

      I am finding a great deal of explanatory power in Valentinus just
      now and am seeing like Ernst explained the interior college of
      Christianity as being what Valentinus, Basilides, Simon Magus,
      Paul, Marcion...all expelled in the Christian Coalition of the
      day...Nicea. Or is it etically seen to be Christian Coalition? Maybe
      it was more like Salem Witch Hunt? Stalinist purge?

      Of course my understanding is technically etic and I am trying to
      apply my emic perspective (my Church of One) onto something
      that appears to have correlates to my experience, however, in
      relation to the historical, mythical and textual material, my
      viewpoint of Valentinus or Mani is and must always be etic.

      Eticality does not speak to mystical experience per se, and so it
      does not matter or apply if i say Valentinus really rocks my boat
      and Mani is like a brother to me. What do eme-etics have to do
      with what is an interior experience.?

      Direct vision of the Father through the agency of the Son has no
      correlate to eme-etic dialectic, and also no language in
      common parlance of the flesh.

      So what does one do in this Cartesian world but use analogy to
      what preceded the Doctrines of Chalcedon and
      Nicaea...summon Basilides from the grave.

      So Hey_Market, I see your point and I also see Ernst and Flag's
      points as well. It is bridging the type of intellectual gaps that
      arise from a confusion of scholarly language in mystical
      discourse, or mystical language in scholarly discourse.

      But I am learning immensely from all of you here.

      Morph