Re: [Gnosticism] FYI

  • AJRoberti@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2002
      Hello Lady Caritas,

      << I was just over at http://gnosis.org/ and noticed that the prolific Stephan Hoeller has written yet another book due to be published in July, 2002 ~ _Gnosticism: New Light on the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing_. This is advertised as "a comprehensive introductory guide to the Gnostic tradition." >>

      Good! There is a dire need for a decent, basic, introductory text. Pagels' "Gnostic Gospels" is my primary recommendation when people ask where they should start, but Pagels covers mostly the social history of the Gnostics and is somewhat light on the theological aspects.

      I anticipate that Hoeller will bring the perspective of spiritual practice to cast light on which elements, out of the impenetrable mass of Gnostic scripture, are relevant and important to modern Gnostics.

      Tony Roberti
      ---
      Gulf Coast Gnostics: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GCGnostics/

      One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. --C.G. Jung