Gnostic grave picts.

  • Aleph
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2002
      Greetings all,
      93,

      I found these pictures at the local tattoo shoppe. A
      dude took these in Virginia. Comments?

      My apologies for the size of the message and to groups
      that dont allow attachments. I thought these pictures
      merit sending, they are quite lovely.

      Aleph

      =====
      Liber LXV, Cap. II, v. 24 ["And I laid my head against the Head of the Swan, and laughed, saying: Is there not joy ineffable in this aimless winging? Is there not weariness and impatience for who would attain to some goal?"],

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • hey_market
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2002
        Why do you see this as a specifically Gnostic grave?

        I wasn't quite able to make out what was at the center of the inter-
        looping horns.

        --- In gnosticism2@y..., Aleph <amthsh@y...> wrote:
        > Greetings all,
        > 93,
        >
        > I found these pictures at the local tattoo shoppe. A
        > dude took these in Virginia. Comments?
        >
        > My apologies for the size of the message and to groups
        > that dont allow attachments. I thought these pictures
        > merit sending, they are quite lovely.
        >
        > Aleph
        >

        > =====
        > Liber LXV, Cap. II, v. 24 ["And I laid my head against the Head of
        the Swan, and laughed, saying: Is there not joy ineffable in this
        aimless winging? Is there not weariness and impatience for who would
        attain to some goal?"],

        > LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        > http://launch.yahoo.com
      • Aleph
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2002
          Hey market,

          Hi,
          Well, I suppose I should not have. The Ourobos serpent
          is what gave it some gnostic significance, but what is
          it? Hermetic, Masonic? Curious, it certainly seems
          esoteric in flavor. ;^)

          93's,

          Aleph

          =====

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2002
            Looked like an old Masonic grave to me. Maybe rosicrucian. Some sort
            of lodge. Then again, at some point people just liked pretty symbols,
            and there were stonecarved options for folks to pick.

            I guess tt's hard to invest too much meaning without some knowledge
            of the diseased, but it's a cool "Midnight in the garden of Masons"
            image (well, I guess it's more like midday).

          • s_e_k_h_m_e_t
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2002
              There is a carving *very* similar to the 'saturn' one inside the
              Templar building in London. Perhaps they are Templar graves?

              Felis

            • hey_market
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2002
                Come to think of it, I thought that looked familiar. I saw that only
                a few months back at the Middle Temple.