Re: (im-)Perfection

    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 5 6:03 PM
      Hate to say it "Play Nice", but I'm forced to question your grasp on
      the notion of internal consistancy. Some of your statements simply
      don't pan out. I say this not to upset you, but to give you the
      opportunity to examine your statements a little more closely before
      you post them. Gerry and Cari are completely justified in questioning
      the way you come accross. However, let me base my points on the
      idealogical, for instance....

      If there is such a thing as the "Infinite" source, then you are right
      to some extent to point out that the notion of a "flaw" is in error
      (since no opposites exist there). On the other hand it also means
      that the "everything is good" ideal is equally in error. Someone once
      said that nothing is good or evil but that our thinking makes it so
      (yes, it was a Gnostic ;)).

      Let me post this again since I don't think it hit home....

      "Therefore they have introduced other types of explination, some
      saying that it is according to providence that the things which exist
      have thier being. These are the people who observe the stability and
      the conformity of the movement of creation. Others say that it is
      something alien. These are the people who observe the diversity and
      the lawlessness and the evil of the powers. Others say that the
      things which exist are what is destined to happen. These are the
      people who were occupied with this matter. Others that it is
      something in accordance with nature. Others say that it is self
      existent. The majority, however, all who have reached as far as the
      visible elements, do not know anything more than them."

      The difference between the Gnostic "flaw" and the New Age rose
      colored glasses? Well the difference is that we make our mistake
      conciously rather than out of ignorace or the pathological need to
      feel warm and fuzzy in spite of the dual nature necessary for time
      to exist. We do it for the sake of description. However, that isn't
      the problem. The fact is, until you know what Gnostics mean by the
      things they say, you don't really know if you agree or disagree, nor
      how to state what is right or wrong about it. The thing is, you are
      still doing so. The word for this behavior is "presumption", and many
      people find it annoying. I will be patient, as you have asked of us,
      but don't think that "patience" is the same as letting you off the
      hook where critical thinking is concerned.

      >Actually I don't "know" shit. But I do have some insights of where
      we may be able to find truth and how you can come to know it. And it
      has nothing to do with flaw and error.<

      If you "don't know shit", then that is about what the "insights" you
      offer are worth. That doesn't mean that they may not be true, they
      just haven't flowered into true cogniscence yet. Hold on to them,
      test them, and after you _really_ know what we are talking about see
      if they stand up to what you may learn here. We also believe we have
      some insights as to where to find truth, and how to come to know
      it.... and it has much to do with flaw and error (at least in an
      allegorical sense). To add to that, there are some here who know
      thier "shit" pretty well.

      I hope you are able to take this in the light it is meant. I am
      giving you a hard time, but it is not meant in an angry manner at
      all. I think the fact is that there are a few basic principles to
      Gnosticism that may still be a little foggy to you, let alone the
      deep stuff for now. Yes, there is a great deal of study that is going
      to be involved if you wish to have some understanding of Gnosticism
      (whether or not you decide you agre with it), and you stated that you
      are in fact curious. Any true esoteic path is going to be blood sweat
      and tears, expect some work and some concepts that had not previously
      hit you. This is a continual process, and any worth while esoteric
      path is a tremendous amount of work.

      PMCV
    • play_nice_now
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 6 8:07 AM
        --- In gnosticism2@y..., pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Hate to say it "Play Nice", but I'm forced to question your grasp
        on
        > the notion of internal consistancy. Some of your statements simply
        > don't pan out.

        That is partly because I'm not explaining them clear enough and also
        partly because this is a very difficult subject to present in an
        absolute sense of the word as you well know.

        > I say this not to upset you, but to give you the
        > opportunity to examine your statements a little more closely before
        > you post them.

        I understand and examine my statements more closely than you think.

        > Gerry and Cari are completely justified in questioning
        > the way you come accross.

        Of course they are. So are you and so am I.

        > However, let me base my points on the
        > idealogical, for instance....
        >
        > If there is such a thing as the "Infinite" source, then you are
        right
        > to some extent to point out that the notion of a "flaw" is in error
        > (since no opposites exist there). On the other hand it also means
        > that the "everything is good" ideal is equally in error. Someone
        once
        > said that nothing is good or evil but that our thinking makes it so
        > (yes, it was a Gnostic ;)).

        I would more agree with the latter. Everything isn't good as much as
        everything isn't bad. I think that was the point I was trying to
        make. When I come off sounding like everything is good, it is more to
        illustrate the idea that everything is exactly as it should be and
        not flawed is as valid as the idea that flaw and error exists. I'm
        saying the same thing as you but adding this insight to it. The
        former way of thinking allows one to see God's perfection much more
        readily than the latter. Acceptance, love and compassion are things
        of tremendous importance and value especially in this day and age,
        are more easily assimilated into being than seeing things as flawed
        or in error in my opinion. Humanity seeks to "fix" things that are
        considered "flawed" or in "error". Our track record in judging what
        is messed up or not isn't exactly the best if you catch my drift. I
        don't trust that judgement as much as I trust love, tolerance and
        compassion which by their very nature don't concern themselves with
        the flaws and errors that seemingly exist from a perspective that
        roots out love, compassion and tolerance in their thinking. I can see
        that these are not valued from the perspective here when I get
        comments from you and others that ideas based upon love, acceptance
        and tolerance are "rose colored", "warm and fuzzy" and the like. Like
        these are "bad" things. I'll tell you truly that warm and fuzzy ideas
        are much more preferable to suicide bombers dieing and killing for
        their belief in what they consider "right". Fixing what they consider
        as flawed and in error. Rose colored glasses are better than blood
        stained ones anyday.

        This subject of truth and God and spirituality is very much a matter
        of perspective. It isn't as objective as many people think it is. You
        don't agree? That is why I question every path when it seems to me
        that people are so married to one idea over all others. From what I
        see here, Gnosticism isn't much different in this regard. Like I have
        said a bunch of times already, truth isn't a matter of right and
        wrong, good or bad, up or down, left or right. All things are part of
        what is true. It is more about acceptance and tolerance than anything
        else in my opinion.

        > Let me post this again since I don't think it hit home....
        >
        > "Therefore they have introduced other types of explination, some
        > saying that it is according to providence that the things which
        exist
        > have thier being. These are the people who observe the stability
        and
        > the conformity of the movement of creation. Others say that it is
        > something alien. These are the people who observe the diversity and
        > the lawlessness and the evil of the powers. Others say that the
        > things which exist are what is destined to happen. These are the
        > people who were occupied with this matter. Others that it is
        > something in accordance with nature. Others say that it is self
        > existent. The majority, however, all who have reached as far as the
        > visible elements, do not know anything more than them."

        No. It hit home. I would agree with that and it is why I say that "I
        don't know shit". Compared to what there is to know, I don't. Neither
        does anyone here. I give that the respect that it deserves. Doesn't
        mean that I know nothing as much as it means that I have much to
        learn. Much to remember. So do we all.

        > The difference between the Gnostic "flaw" and the New Age rose
        > colored glasses? Well the difference is that we make our mistake
        > conciously rather than out of ignorace or the pathological need to
        > feel warm and fuzzy in spite of the dual nature necessary for time
        > to exist. We do it for the sake of description. However, that isn't
        > the problem. The fact is, until you know what Gnostics mean by the
        > things they say, you don't really know if you agree or disagree,
        nor
        > how to state what is right or wrong about it. The thing is, you are
        > still doing so. The word for this behavior is "presumption", and
        many
        > people find it annoying. I will be patient, as you have asked of
        us,
        > but don't think that "patience" is the same as letting you off the
        > hook where critical thinking is concerned.

        My thinking about what is being said in here is critical. I'll try to
        be more clear if and when I decide to post anything in here again.
        I'm sorry if I annoyed anyone.

        > If you "don't know shit", then that is about what the "insights"
        you offer are worth.

        I explained what I meant by that statement above so it should be
        clearer to understand now.

        > That doesn't mean that they may not be true, they
        > just haven't flowered into true cogniscence yet. Hold on to them,
        > test them, and after you _really_ know what we are talking about
        see
        > if they stand up to what you may learn here. We also believe we
        have
        > some insights as to where to find truth, and how to come to know
        > it.... and it has much to do with flaw and error (at least in an
        > allegorical sense). To add to that, there are some here who know
        > thier "shit" pretty well.

        I have said many times that you all "know" as much as anyone when it
        comes to what is true. And all paths eventually lead to truth. You
        know well what you know but compared to what there is to know,
        well.....each of us doesn't know much. That isn't presumption. It is
        truth.

        > I hope you are able to take this in the light it is meant. I am
        > giving you a hard time, but it is not meant in an angry manner at
        > all. I think the fact is that there are a few basic principles to
        > Gnosticism that may still be a little foggy to you, let alone the
        > deep stuff for now. Yes, there is a great deal of study that is
        going
        > to be involved if you wish to have some understanding of Gnosticism
        > (whether or not you decide you agre with it), and you stated that
        you
        > are in fact curious.

        I am not at all irritated and have read a bunch of Gnostic "stuff"
        already. I am still curious. The one item that impresses me the most
        is the Gospel of Truth. The Gospel of Thomas is interesting but open
        to too much interpretation by the reader. Words taken out of context
        lends itself to much confusion in my opinion. Reminds me of what
        fundamentalist Christianity does to support ideas that the original
        teachings weren't meant to portray.

        > Any true esoteic path is going to be blood sweat
        > and tears, expect some work and some concepts that had not
        previously
        > hit you. This is a continual process, and any worth while esoteric
        > path is a tremendous amount of work.

        So true. I've been on the inner path for a while now and it is
        exactly as you say. I have shared much with you in this post and
        hopefully now you understand me and my "contradictory" nature a bit
        more. Hey, come to think of it, a gnostic shouldn't have much of a
        problem with contradictions. You have read the Gospel of Thomas
        haven't you?

        peace be with you,
        play
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 6 11:54 AM
          Ok Play, you do in fact make some areas of where you are comming from
          more clear, and that is quite helpful.

          To deal with some specific points you raise....

          >When I come off sounding like everything is good, it is more to
          illustrate the idea that everything is exactly as it should be and
          not flawed is as valid as the idea that flaw and error exists. I'm
          saying the same thing as you but adding this insight to it. The
          former way of thinking allows one to see God's perfection much more
          readily than the latter.<

          I see two problems that present themselves to the Gnostic perspective
          here. One is a logical flaw called "non sequitor" (which means "it
          doesn't follow"). Whether or not things are "as it shood be" is not
          necessarily relevent to whether or not there is a flaw. A flaw can be
          intentional. On the other hand, intent can be a flaw which would make
          the notion of "as it should be" flawed in and of itself
          since "should" could be error from the getgo. The next one is
          concerning "God". You are assuming we believe in one to make this
          statement.

          >Acceptance, love and compassion are things of tremendous importance
          and value especially in this day and age, are more easily assimilated
          into being than seeing things as flawed or in error in my opinion.<

          Once again, non sequitor. The notion of flaw in no way implies a lack
          of love or compassion. However, love, like all other things you can
          name, applies to the field of time rather than to infinity.

          >I don't trust that judgement as much as I trust love<

          I don't "trust" period (as far as philosophical points are
          concerned). "Trust" is another way of saying "believe" or "have faith
          in". The point is, that is "pistic" not "gnostic". We don't seek
          to "believe", we seek to "know". I know that love and compassion are
          very valuable, and can even be footsteps in the path to Gnosis, they
          are also limited.

          >I can see that these are not valued from the perspective here when I
          get comments from you and others that ideas based upon love,
          acceptance and tolerance are "rose colored", "warm and fuzzy" and the
          like.<

          No, you misunderstand. In fact, I run a club solely on the subject of
          love and compassion in esoteric practice. What is "rose colored" is
          the need to imply that that love is a matter of providence, and that
          we should float along being guided by it to the point of excluding
          critical thought, that we should simply "trust" our hearts and not
          stop to think about it. If you have been following my discussion with
          Wilbro you may have noticed that I outlined the function of "Logos"
          and "Sophia" in a sort of Jungian manner.... well that applies here
          as well.

          >I'll tell you truly that warm and fuzzy ideas
          are much more preferable to suicide bombers dieing and killing for
          their belief in what they consider "right". Rose colored glasses are
          better than blood stained ones anyday.<

          Not if everything is "the way it should be". If that is the case then
          thier hate is every bit as important as your love, and even
          preferable in some circumstances. Beyond love and hate is the true
          repose of the spirit. You see, those rose colored glasses are one and
          the same as the blood stained ones. The eyes of the spirit need no
          glasses at all.

          >All things are part of what is true.<

          Only when talking about worldly perception. Remember the post from
          the Tripartite tractate? "The majority, however, all who have reached
          as far as the visible elements, do not know anything more than them."
          The "truth" you keep mentioning is one that is dependant on the
          visible elements, as is "love", and "acceptance". All these things
          that exist as "part of what is true", no longer exist in what is
          really True.

          >This subject of truth and God and spirituality is very much a matter
          of perspective.<

          Only when looked at from somewhere that has "perspective", i.e. the
          world of the "visible elements".

          >And all paths eventually lead to truth.<

          Demonstrate this. I doubt it seriously.

          >The one item that impresses me the most
          is the Gospel of Truth. The Gospel of Thomas is interesting but open
          to too much interpretation by the reader.<

          It is also debatable as to whether Thomas is in fact "Gnostic".

          >I've been on the inner path for a while now and it is
          exactly as you say.<

          Hmmm, except I didn't say the "inner path", I said the "esoteric
          path", there is a difference.

          >Hey, come to think of it, a gnostic shouldn't have much of a
          problem with contradictions. You have read the Gospel of Thomas
          haven't you?<

          There is a difference between intentional contradiction for the sake
          of illustration (such as we see at the biginning of the tripartite
          tractate), and idealogical inconsistancy. Once again, The "Gnostic"
          validity of Thomas is open to debate.

          I do think though, that we may be closer to understanding each other.

          PMCV
        • play_nice_now
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 6 1:58 PM
            --- In gnosticism2@y..., pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Ok Play, you do in fact make some areas of where you are comming
            from
            > more clear, and that is quite helpful.
            >
            > To deal with some specific points you raise....
            >
            > >When I come off sounding like everything is good, it is more to
            > illustrate the idea that everything is exactly as it should be and
            > not flawed is as valid as the idea that flaw and error exists. I'm
            > saying the same thing as you but adding this insight to it. The
            > former way of thinking allows one to see God's perfection much more
            > readily than the latter.<
            >
            > I see two problems that present themselves to the Gnostic
            perspective
            > here. One is a logical flaw called "non sequitor" (which means "it
            > doesn't follow"). Whether or not things are "as it shood be" is not
            > necessarily relevent to whether or not there is a flaw. A flaw can
            be
            > intentional. On the other hand, intent can be a flaw which would
            make
            > the notion of "as it should be" flawed in and of itself
            > since "should" could be error from the getgo.

            I know what non-sequior is. Spiritual concepts are filled with them.
            Even Gnostic ones my friend. OK I can accept that as strictly a
            gnostic perspective. But I can't accept that as absolute truth, I'm
            sorry.

            > The next one is
            > concerning "God". You are assuming we believe in one to make this
            > statement.

            Well, maybe the word "believe" isn't the correct one to use.
            Gnostics "know" there is one. Why do I say that? Read the Gospel of
            Truth. Who is the Father? What is meant by "This is the manifestation
            of the Father and his revelation to his Aeons. He revealed his hidden
            self and explained it. For who is it who exists if it is not the
            Father himself? All the spaces are his emanations."

            Maybe this might be a good time for a clarification of terms? Who is
            the Father? What exactly about himself did he explain to his Aeons?
            Where are his spaces?

            > >Acceptance, love and compassion are things of tremendous
            importance
            > and value especially in this day and age, are more easily
            assimilated
            > into being than seeing things as flawed or in error in my opinion.<
            >
            > Once again, non sequitor. The notion of flaw in no way implies a
            lack
            > of love or compassion.

            You need examples?

            > However, love, like all other things you can
            > name, applies to the field of time rather than to infinity.

            Love is also quite timeless and infinite in many ways. Do you
            understand what I mean by that?

            > >I don't trust that judgement as much as I trust love<
            >
            > I don't "trust" period (as far as philosophical points are
            > concerned). "Trust" is another way of saying "believe" or "have
            faith
            > in".

            Not really. You trust what you know even if it is philosophical,
            don't you?

            > The point is, that is "pistic" not "gnostic". We don't seek
            > to "believe", we seek to "know". I know that love and compassion
            are
            > very valuable, and can even be footsteps in the path to Gnosis,
            they
            > are also limited.

            What isn't limited? Pistic or Gnostic. Even knowledge has its limits.
            However, we are seeking to know and that is more valuable, even for
            me than to trust or believe in something blindly.

            > >I can see that these are not valued from the perspective here when
            > get comments from you and others that ideas based upon love,
            > acceptance and tolerance are "rose colored", "warm and fuzzy" and
            the
            > like.<
            >
            > No, you misunderstand. In fact, I run a club solely on the subject
            of
            > love and compassion in esoteric practice.

            Can I join?

            > What is "rose colored" is
            > the need to imply that that love is a matter of providence, and
            that
            > we should float along being guided by it to the point of excluding
            > critical thought, that we should simply "trust" our hearts and not
            > stop to think about it. If you have been following my discussion
            with
            > Wilbro you may have noticed that I outlined the function of "Logos"
            > and "Sophia" in a sort of Jungian manner.... well that applies here
            > as well.

            I'm with that and agree with you completely. *smiles*

            > >I'll tell you truly that warm and fuzzy ideas
            > are much more preferable to suicide bombers dieing and killing for
            > their belief in what they consider "right". Rose colored glasses
            are
            > better than blood stained ones anyday.<
            >
            > Not if everything is "the way it should be". If that is the case
            then
            > thier hate is every bit as important as your love, and even
            > preferable in some circumstances. Beyond love and hate is the true
            > repose of the spirit. You see, those rose colored glasses are one
            and
            > the same as the blood stained ones. The eyes of the spirit need no
            > glasses at all.

            So true and great point.

            > >All things are part of what is true.<
            >
            > Only when talking about worldly perception. Remember the post from
            > the Tripartite tractate? "The majority, however, all who have
            reached
            > as far as the visible elements, do not know anything more than
            them."
            > The "truth" you keep mentioning is one that is dependant on the
            > visible elements, as is "love", and "acceptance". All these things
            > that exist as "part of what is true", no longer exist in what is
            > really True.

            Not really CV. I can't get into this right now because I'm running
            out of time. But we should get back to it.

            > >This subject of truth and God and spirituality is very much a
            matter
            > of perspective.<
            >
            > Only when looked at from somewhere that has "perspective", i.e. the
            > world of the "visible elements".

            True. Perspective is fragments of the All. or sort of anyway.

            > >And all paths eventually lead to truth.<
            >
            > Demonstrate this. I doubt it seriously.

            All paths are the truth. Just by reason that they are paths that are
            being taken. They exist and are therefore valid from the perspective
            of the All.

            > >The one item that impresses me the most
            > is the Gospel of Truth. The Gospel of Thomas is interesting but
            open
            > to too much interpretation by the reader.<
            >
            > It is also debatable as to whether Thomas is in fact "Gnostic".

            I could see why.

            > >I've been on the inner path for a while now and it is
            > exactly as you say.<
            >
            > Hmmm, except I didn't say the "inner path", I said the "esoteric
            > path", there is a difference.

            Excuse me. Yes you are correct. There is a big difference.

            > >Hey, come to think of it, a gnostic shouldn't have much of a
            > problem with contradictions. You have read the Gospel of Thomas
            > haven't you?<
            >
            > There is a difference between intentional contradiction for the
            sake
            > of illustration (such as we see at the biginning of the tripartite
            > tractate), and idealogical inconsistancy. Once again, The "Gnostic"
            > validity of Thomas is open to debate.
            >
            > I do think though, that we may be closer to understanding each
            other.

            so do I CV. So do I.

            Thanks,
            Al

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 6 8:51 PM
              Now we are getting to some meaty bits Play.

              >I know what non-sequior is. Spiritual concepts are filled with them.
              Even Gnostic ones my friend. OK I can accept that as strictly a
              gnostic perspective. But I can't accept that as absolute truth, I'm
              sorry.<

              Now you're talking. This is the kind of response I can respect. You
              have stated that you get the point, and that you disagree with it.
              Good man. Anyways, I'm sure you are right that there are some
              examples here and there in Gnostic scripture of "non-sequitor", but
              generally speaking it is something that Gnosticism takes great pains
              to avoid (being a classical philosophy and all). In fact, it is this
              very point that to some extent the cosmology of Gnosticism grows
              from. Perhaps you can point out some past Gnostic mistakes of this
              sort?

              >Gnostics "know" there is one (a god). Why do I say that? Read the
              Gospel of Truth. Who is the Father? What is meant by "This is the
              manifestation of the Father and his revelation to his Aeons. He
              revealed his hidden self and explained it. For who is it who exists
              if it is not the Father himself? All the spaces are his emanations."<

              You've read this passage overly literally if you think it is talking
              about "God" in the normal meaning of the word. This is why I have
              stressed familiarization with certain Gnostic concepts before really
              stating which ones you are with and which ones you don't. However,
              your next question is a good segue for that discussion.

              >Maybe this might be a good time for a clarification of terms? Who is
              the Father? What exactly about himself did he explain to his Aeons?
              Where are his spaces?<

              That "Father" is the "Image", the reflection of the Infinite. It is
              from the image that the emanations proceed. The emanations are
              constructs of our capacity to understand the realms of existance that
              we percieve as the Platonic base existantial realms where the "Forms"
              are expressed (in other words, areas of lessor division from the
              unity of the image, which is a reflection of the lack of being that
              is the Prime Source). The "explination to the Aeons" is revelation of
              the reflection as WE proceed to greater understanding of the process
              (the Gnostic experience of the Pleroma)

              Thus, all these terms that look like the pistic Christian lingo are
              allegories, not literal realities, in the Gnostic meaning. When it
              says "God is Good" it means that true perfection is in the unity
              beyond the field of opposites, and it diminishes with the movement
              away from the unity.

              Lets deal with the Gospel of Truth for a second. It is largely a
              Valintinian work, so we can temper it's meaning to a Valintinian
              interperater with another Valintinian work (we must be careful not to
              say "this is what Gnostics believed" from the outline of a single
              sect, that would be false... and we should avoid drawing on another
              sect's works to fill in). Take a look at the second paragraph in "A
              Valintinian Exposition", this should make clear the "Image" aspect I
              was talking about. There is a First father that is ambiguous, and the
              second Father, who is the Son and the source of the All. Then, if you
              look over at the first part of the Tripartite Tractate (another
              Valintinian work), it will make clear how all of this is allegory, a
              means of conceptualization rather than a literal reality (also notice
              the repeating phrase "I for my part call it..." in a Valintinian
              Exposition)

              >Love is also quite timeless and infinite in many ways. Do you
              understand what I mean by that?<

              Yes, I understand your intent, but I'm not sure you understand what I
              mean by "infinite".

              >You trust what you know even if it is philosophical,
              don't you?<

              No, I proceed with assumption for practical reasons only. I don't
              trust my perception, I don't trust my philosophy, I don't
              trust "God". The one thing I "trust" is that my spiritual
              understanding is based on a methodology that is as sound as one can
              get in this world... which is not to say perfect or "trustable". My
              statements concerning my grasp of "truth", what I "know" (Gnosis),
              must be understood to refer to relative degree, not absolute
              attainment.

              >All paths are the truth. Just by reason that they are paths that are
              being taken. They exist and are therefore valid from the perspective
              of the All.<

              You still haven't demonstrated this though. Why should I believe all
              paths are equal in validity? Do all roads _really_ lead to Rome?
              nope! Why should I believe that ignorance is equal to knowledge, or
              that matter is equal to spirit? If there is such a thing as "truth"
              (which implicitly contains the notion of accuracy vs error) then
              there is also such a thing as being closer to or farther from it.
              Some paths promote ignorance, they discourage people from looking
              inward, they are materialistic, aspiritual, and even harmful. A
              society exhibits the collective neurosis of it's constituency. So, a
              path (being a social creation as it is) can be lazy, greedy, hateful,
              ignorant, silly, addictive, loving, intellegent, prideful, or any
              other failing or strength you can apply to an individual. No right or
              wrong? Maybe (though I would debate that), there still seems to
              be "better".

              Here is another thought. In spite of all our differences there are
              also areas that are generalities to all of humanity. This collective
              subconcious denies individual perspective as anything more than
              ornament, and deals with that universal humanity... the area we are
              all the same. For all paths to be equally valid, they would have to
              be demonstratable as not only comparatively similar on this front (as
              many paths, though not all, do indeed demonstrate), but also as
              having equally positive effect (since spirituality is initiated
              partly from the individual's ability to deal with this connection on
              a more concious level). I would challenge you to demonstrate this
              principle as it relates to a comparative study of silopsism vs the
              Pentecostal church vs science.... and the way they define "reality".
              If you pull that off I will be impressed, and you will have convinced
              me of your point.

              PMCV
            • play_nice_now
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 7 8:10 AM
                --- In gnosticism2@y..., pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Now we are getting to some meaty bits Play.

                *smiles* Did you have any doubt that this was going to happen?

                > >I know what non-sequior is. Spiritual concepts are filled with
                them.
                > Even Gnostic ones my friend. OK I can accept that as strictly a
                > gnostic perspective. But I can't accept that as absolute truth, I'm
                > sorry.<
                >
                > Now you're talking. This is the kind of response I can respect. You
                > have stated that you get the point, and that you disagree with it.
                > Good man. Anyways, I'm sure you are right that there are some
                > examples here and there in Gnostic scripture of "non-sequitor", but
                > generally speaking it is something that Gnosticism takes great
                pains
                > to avoid (being a classical philosophy and all). In fact, it is
                this
                > very point that to some extent the cosmology of Gnosticism grows
                > from. Perhaps you can point out some past Gnostic mistakes of this
                > sort?

                OK. In the Tripartite Tractate:

                "Not one of the names which are conceived or spoken, seen or grasped -
                not one of them applies to him, even though they are exceedingly
                glorious, magnifying and honored. However, it is possible to utter
                these names for his glory and honor, in accordance with the capacity
                of each of those who give him glory."

                It doesn't follow that if names can't be conceived or spoken that
                they can still be uttered.

                and:

                "the form of the formless,
                the body of the bodiless,
                the face of the invisible,
                the word of the unutterable, "

                C'mon. If I wrote this, you would get annoyed.

                There are more but this is all I have time for right now.

                > >Gnostics "know" there is one (a god). Why do I say that? Read the
                > Gospel of Truth. Who is the Father? What is meant by "This is the
                > manifestation of the Father and his revelation to his Aeons. He
                > revealed his hidden self and explained it. For who is it who exists
                > if it is not the Father himself? All the spaces are his
                emanations."<

                > You've read this passage overly literally if you think it is
                talking
                > about "God" in the normal meaning of the word.

                That is where you misunderstand me. I don't view "God" in the normal
                meaning of the word. When I talk about "It" God is nothing akin to
                what fundamentalists say IT is. Unfortunatel, the word "God" was used
                too much by others that it now has a negative stigma attached to IT
                that just turns people off. But that is not the God of which I speak.

                > This is why I have
                > stressed familiarization with certain Gnostic concepts before
                really
                > stating which ones you are with and which ones you don't. However,
                > your next question is a good segue for that discussion.
                >
                > >Maybe this might be a good time for a clarification of terms? Who
                is
                > the Father? What exactly about himself did he explain to his Aeons?
                > Where are his spaces?<
                >
                > That "Father" is the "Image", the reflection of the Infinite. It is
                > from the image that the emanations proceed. The emanations are
                > constructs of our capacity to understand the realms of existance
                that
                > we percieve as the Platonic base existantial realms where
                the "Forms"
                > are expressed (in other words, areas of lessor division from the
                > unity of the image, which is a reflection of the lack of being that
                > is the Prime Source). The "explination to the Aeons" is revelation
                of
                > the reflection as WE proceed to greater understanding of the
                process
                > (the Gnostic experience of the Pleroma)

                I understand. But I also take it to mean much more than that. These
                emanations of image also take form into a physical "reality" of which
                we now find ourselves immersed. What you say above is true but there
                is also this physical component of matter and form that is a part of
                what is being eminated from the "Father" which is unity. I posit that
                this physical existence is a part of what the infinite has created,
                however finite, flawed or in error it may seem. It then follows that
                if that is the case, then it has some value and is valid. No matter
                what the form or station in life.

                > Thus, all these terms that look like the pistic Christian lingo are
                > allegories, not literal realities, in the Gnostic meaning. When it
                > says "God is Good" it means that true perfection is in the unity
                > beyond the field of opposites, and it diminishes with the movement
                > away from the unity.

                That is so true.

                > Lets deal with the Gospel of Truth for a second. It is largely a
                > Valintinian work, so we can temper it's meaning to a Valintinian
                > interperater with another Valintinian work (we must be careful not
                > say "this is what Gnostics believed" from the outline of a single
                > sect, that would be false... and we should avoid drawing on another
                > sect's works to fill in). Take a look at the second paragraph in "A
                > Valintinian Exposition", this should make clear the "Image" aspect
                > was talking about. There is a First father that is ambiguous, and
                the
                > second Father, who is the Son and the source of the All. Then, if
                you
                > look over at the first part of the Tripartite Tractate (another
                > Valintinian work), it will make clear how all of this is allegory,
                > means of conceptualization rather than a literal reality (also
                notice
                > the repeating phrase "I for my part call it..." in a Valintinian
                > Exposition)

                OK, I see what you are talking about.

                > >Love is also quite timeless and infinite in many ways. Do you
                > understand what I mean by that?<
                >
                > Yes, I understand your intent, but I'm not sure you understand what
                > mean by "infinite".

                Maybe it is time for another clarification of terms, eh?

                > >You trust what you know even if it is philosophical,
                > don't you?<
                >
                > No, I proceed with assumption for practical reasons only. I don't
                > trust my perception, I don't trust my philosophy, I don't
                > trust "God". The one thing I "trust" is that my spiritual
                > understanding is based on a methodology that is as sound as one can
                > get in this world... which is not to say perfect or "trustable". My
                > statements concerning my grasp of "truth", what I "know" (Gnosis),
                > must be understood to refer to relative degree, not absolute
                > attainment.

                Trust, or anything else for that matter in this existence, is rarely
                absolute. I'm talking about to a relative degree. I'm afraid that
                will have to suffice for us in this life. But, from that perspective,
                I take it that you do trust what you have come to know. That is what
                I'm talking about.

                > >All paths are the truth. Just by reason that they are paths that
                are
                > being taken. They exist and are therefore valid from the
                perspective
                > of the All.<
                >
                > You still haven't demonstrated this though. Why should I believe
                all
                > paths are equal in validity?

                OK. Because I exist and have my truth, you exist and have your truth
                and everyone and everything else exists and has it's truth, it
                follows, whether we agree with these truths or not, that these truths
                do in fact exist and are therefore her, now and valid. We are
                products or emanations of the "Father's" word which is to say
                emanations of his total truth. Because we are "here", we are a part
                of "his" word. "His" truth which can't be denied.

                > Do all roads _really_ lead to Rome?
                > nope! Why should I believe that ignorance is equal to knowledge, or
                > that matter is equal to spirit?

                I'm not looking at it that way. Not a matter of equality. It is a
                matter of what is and isn't. Fact is ignorance, whether equal or not
                is still part of truth since it does, in fact, exist.

                > If there is such a thing as "truth"
                > (which implicitly contains the notion of accuracy vs error) then
                > there is also such a thing as being closer to or farther from it.

                Only from our limited perspective is that true. But truth, the truth
                itself has its own say and is its own entity. It doesn't
                concern "itself" with who is closer or further from it. It is what it
                is. So again. I'm sorry but I can't agree with that.

                > Some paths promote ignorance, they discourage people from looking
                > inward, they are materialistic, aspiritual, and even harmful. A
                > society exhibits the collective neurosis of it's constituency. So,
                > path (being a social creation as it is) can be lazy, greedy,
                hateful,
                > ignorant, silly, addictive, loving, intellegent, prideful, or any
                > other failing or strength you can apply to an individual. No right
                or
                > wrong? Maybe (though I would debate that), there still seems to
                > be "better".

                These are judgements of truth. But the truth is that these paths do
                exist and are therefore a part of what is truth. If we can accept
                that all things emanate from one source, from the "Father" or from
                what the infinite, it follows that what we consider bad or good,
                wrong or right, error and perfection or whatever came from this one
                source and therefore can't help but to lead back to it.

                > Here is another thought. In spite of all our differences there are
                > also areas that are generalities to all of humanity. This
                collective
                > subconcious denies individual perspective as anything more than
                > ornament, and deals with that universal humanity... the area we are
                > all the same. For all paths to be equally valid, they would have to
                > be demonstratable as not only comparatively similar on this front
                (as
                > many paths, though not all, do indeed demonstrate), but also as
                > having equally positive effect (since spirituality is initiated
                > partly from the individual's ability to deal with this connection
                on
                > a more concious level). I would challenge you to demonstrate this
                > principle as it relates to a comparative study of silopsism vs the
                > Pentecostal church vs science.... and the way they
                define "reality".
                > If you pull that off I will be impressed, and you will have
                convinced
                > me of your point.

                I think we are getting bogged down in terms of what is valid. The way
                I'm looking at this, if it "is" then it is valid regardless of what
                we think about it. I'm not placing judgement or comparing anyone or
                anything here. If it "is" it must have come from the prime source
                directly or indirectly since all things that "are" come from that one
                thought. In that sense they are valid. I'm careful to say it this way
                to avoid judgeing what is right or wrong. Another way of saying this
                is that the one truth is broken up into all sorts of truths which
                makes the one truth all encompassing. In its own "image". No matter
                which way you look at this, from the top down or from the bottom up
                it leads to and from the prime source. This is who I refer to
                as "God". The one God. Not Demiurge. The All are with the "Father"
                and do not exist for themselves. The All exist for and with him, even
                in the physical sense, for physicality can also be allegory to what
                is infinite. Nothing is far from the "Father" if it is all in Him.

                peace,
                play
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 7 4:31 PM
                  >It doesn't follow that if names can't be conceived or spoken that
                  they can still be uttered.<

                  Well, technically neither of these examples are non sequitor Play.
                  They are a contention of our need to give a name to something in
                  spite of the innacuracy that this causes.

                  >C'mon. If I wrote this, you would get annoyed.<

                  No Play, if you had said this then it would be clear that you were
                  cogniscent of the allagory, rather than being literal. In other
                  words, the issue here has been that you _appear_ to be speaking from
                  the opposite direction as the examples you give. Now, if it is part
                  of your point here with these examples to show that you are indeed
                  aware if this, and that your belief in the connection of "love" to
                  the infinite (for example) is only a metaphore rather than literal,
                  then I would say "well why didn't you say so in the first place!"...
                  I mean, the whole point of what I have said to you is that you seem
                  to be very literal minded in interpreting some things that are not
                  intended that way. For instance, it has seemed that you believed the
                  Aeons are a literal accurate cosmological structure. If this is not
                  the case, then we are in agreement.

                  >I don't view "God" in the normal meaning of the word.<

                  The question is whether or not you view "God" as a literal
                  providential force, or as a construct of ours for the sake of dealing
                  with higher philosophical subjects.

                  >I understand. But I also take it to mean much more than that. These
                  emanations of image also take form into a physical "reality" of which
                  we now find ourselves immersed.<

                  I understand that you believe that, however it isn't what the author
                  of this book believed. Instead the Aeons (to the Gnostic writer) are
                  seperated from physicality by a limit placed in the eighth (or ninth
                  depending on the source) realm of the Archons (sometimes this is
                  Saboath, others it is Low Sophia). It is beneath that limit that
                  Yaldabaoth works.

                  >I posit that this physical existence is a part of what the infinite
                  has created<

                  The question however is whether or not the Infinite "created"
                  anything. If it did then it isn't really infinite since it has
                  motive.... and motive is a finite action.

                  >Maybe it is time for another clarification of terms, eh?<

                  Ok, think of it this way.... there can be two meanings of the
                  term "infinite". One is the general principle of physical un-
                  measurability. The universe for instance may be "infinite" in this
                  way, since it has no end (at least that we are able to positively
                  discern) right?. This lack of ends gives it sort of an eternal
                  quality. The same is true of numbers, as far as we know they don't
                  end, they are "infinite" in that sense. However, this is only
                  physical "infinity" not pure philosophical "Infinity". This second
                  form of Infinity not only has no measurable ends, but no points of
                  measurability anywhere. Numbers may go off into infinity, but
                  wherever you are on that journey is still a finite point. No such
                  thing exists in true, pure, infinity, since the existance of a finite
                  point counters the absolute quality of the philsophical "form". Since
                  all terms are finite concepts, we can only talk about pure infinity
                  according to what it is not. Infinity isn't "big", because "big" is a
                  thing right? This is what the biginning of the tripartite tractate is
                  trying to say when it goes through that long list of negations, then
                  saying that in reality God is not good, but we call it that because
                  it gives honor to the concept.

                  There is an implication here that I want to make clear. If we are
                  talking about "part" of an infinity, we can only mean that physical
                  infinity since the pure concept has no "parts"... no points of the
                  finite to disrupt the pure form of the concept. This is the crux of
                  our conversation in that the point you seemed to make, and the one
                  that I was countering, is the notion of a "God" that has literal
                  (rather than allegorical) attributes like "love". To Gnostics, such a
                  conceptualization of "God" prevents one from being able to begin to
                  gain that realization of pure philosophical infinity (which is partly
                  what "Gnosis" is)

                  Now, let me backtrack. This conversation started between you and
                  Gerry primarily on the subject of anthropomorphization. The true
                  question though is not whether you commit this fallacy (which we all
                  must do), but whether you do it conciously, or if you believe it
                  literally.

                  >OK. Because I exist and have my truth, you exist and have your truth
                  and everyone and everything else exists and has it's truth, it
                  follows, whether we agree with these truths or not, that these truths
                  do in fact exist and are therefore her, now and valid.<

                  AH, so by "truth" you mean "realities" it seems. In that way yes, we
                  all have our material existance. However, to the Gnostic those are
                  not truth, on the contrary they are quite false.

                  >We are products or emanations of the "Father's" word which is to say
                  emanations of his total truth. Because we are "here", we are a part
                  of "his" word. "His" truth which can't be denied.<

                  Are we? The Gnostic cosmology certainly raises question about just
                  what we are a part of.

                  >I'm not looking at it that way. Not a matter of equality. It is a
                  matter of what is and isn't. Fact is ignorance, whether equal or not
                  is still part of truth since it does, in fact, exist.<

                  That is assuming that "existance" is "truth". Unless the real truth
                  is not found in existance, but in the pure philosophical infinity. So
                  what "is" and "isn't" is not the truth.

                  PMCV
                • ZELITCHENK
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 8 3:49 AM
                    2 simple questions. First. I see the difference between "to believe"
                    and "to know" is fundumental for you. Can you articulate this in more
                    details. What does it mean - "to know"? What does it mean - "to
                    believe"? Where is difference?

                    Second. What is the difference between "esoteric path" and "inner
                    path"? What is it - "esoteric path"?

                  • hey_market
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 8 3:41 PM
                      I'm stepping into this conversation late, and haven't read all the
                      threads, so I may be repeating thing or speaking out of turn here.

                      For what it's worth Play, I will note that it's a bit simplistic to
                      even suppose that love and suicide bombers don't mix, since the
                      latter certainly have rose-tinted glasses (godly and saintly even, at
                      least in their estimation), even rosier than most I'd warrant, since
                      they so adamantly believe they can take action to realize a world of
                      perfection--a world they love--one that would exsist if they could
                      only blow up or otherwise eradicate all of the enemies of their
                      perfect world.

                      And those enemies are located in the mind as much as anywhere else,
                      particularly in minds that refuse to see that their world is as
                      flawed as the next person's.

                      It was Shakespeare who wrote that "nothing is, but thinking makes it
                      so." And given your appreciation for this line, then you might see
                      how it applies not only to any conception of love, including a suiced
                      bombers, but to any thoughts period.

                      As such, how this little bit of wisdom plays out in this instance is
                      that "nothing is love, but my thinking makes it so," or "nothing is
                      good, but my thinking makes it so," and then invetably, "nothing is
                      evil, but THEIR thinking makes it so." And yet, this thinking is not
                      exclusively THEIR thinking, is it?

                      How it Plays out for you is that, "nothing is bad, but THEIR thinking
                      makes it so." So why don't they think about better things--the power
                      of positive thinking?

                      And yet look at the evidence of our thinking--even your own mind must
                      contend with an unavoidable evil within its walls, even if only to
                      contend with the thoughts of other. Even if only to say, "ah, that's
                      evil over there and there and there, and here's goodness over here."

                      You are compelled to be discerning and make distinctions, and these
                      distinctions define your own definition of love.

                      So why not discern love in a fully conscious fashion? Wouldn't this
                      be a better love? A fuller love?

                      So why pretend to remove such challenges to your notions of love,
                      especially within a field of thought from which they cannot be
                      removed, and in fact, must exist as the very material with which you
                      scrape away to sculpt your cognitive statue of love?

                      This isn't to say that you should welcome evil, but it can hardly be
                      avoided, or rather, the archontic forces of evil can only be avoided
                      via the highly difficult process of developing fuller awareness.
                      Otherwise, without acknowledging this reality we'll bump into a lot
                      of ostensibly evil things that will not only disappoint us, but worse
                      still, keep us ignorant.

                      Internal inconsistency is a hallmark of such a frame of mind,
                      precisely because it is unwilling to confront and reconcile those
                      things that exist BEYOND the thinking that makes them so--that is,
                      the objective psychoid facts of reality vs. a personal psychological
                      facts of mind.

                      Those who do confront these realities enevitably come to realize that
                      the good is never altogether good and the evil never altogether evil,
                      at least in this world.

                      Better to realize that sooner than later, so as to move beyond it
                      sooner than later--to move to the fullness of which Gnostics speak.
                      But the only way to do so is through uncompromising consciousness,
                      regardless of the discomfort.

                    • Rob Thompson
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 8 10:55 PM

                        I hate to butt in but is the difference to believe is something based on fact but still has a leap of faith involved, where to know is a idea based solely on fact or something that we can prove. From example... Fred believes the Gospel of Thomas to be the true word based on the idea that it is one of the oldest Christian documents, or I know the Gospel of Thomas is one of the oldest Christian documents.

                        Rob

                        Do You Yahoo!?

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 9 3:05 AM
                          Hey AZ, you ask...

                          >2 simple questions. First. I see the difference between "to believe"
                          and "to know" is fundumental for you. Can you articulate this in more
                          details. What does it mean - "to know"? What does it mean - "to
                          believe"? Where is difference?<

                          In the Gnostic system, the difference between believing (pistis
                          [faith]) and knowing "gnosis" is fundemental (after all, it
                          is "Gnosticism" not "Pisticism")

                          One "knows" through a system of experience and critical perspective.
                          How for instance do you "know" that you are reading my message on a
                          computer message board? Belief on the other hand is only necessary
                          when we chose to maintain an idea despite the lack of enough evidence
                          or logic to give us reason to hold the idea in question. It doesn't
                          mean the belief is wrong, just that we draw a destinction on how the
                          conclusion should be reached.

                          >Second. What is the difference between "esoteric path" and "inner
                          path"? What is it - "esoteric path"? <

                          Esotericism literally referes to an initiatory process, though that
                          may be expressed in many forms and is certainly an "inner" process as
                          well. However, "inner path" is a very general destinction for any
                          kind of self examination, whereas "esoteric" referes to a more
                          specific and methodological approach, generally via a initiatory
                          system (alchemy for instance, or Freemasonry, Hermeticism, Kabbalah,
                          or of course Gnosticism.)

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 9 7:31 AM
                            ZELITCHENK (#5997)
                            >>2 simple questions. First. I see the difference between "to
                            believe" and "to know" is fundumental for you. Can you articulate
                            this in more details. What does it mean - "to know"? What does it
                            mean - "to believe"? Where is difference?<<

                            Hello, AZ. I've only had time to scan your book briefly so far.
                            Thank you for sharing your efforts. In addition to previous comments
                            from PMCV and Rob, I'd like to offer a link to an article that
                            discusses "faith" vs. "gnosis" from a Valentinian perspective. I
                            noticed in "Conversation 1" of your book, the "Teacher" says, "Man
                            has three bodies: a spiritual one, a mental one and a physical one."
                            Gnostics also recognized tripartite nature of humans, the hyle,
                            psyche, and pneuma.

                            http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/gnosis.htm

                            >>Second. What is the difference between "esoteric path" and "inner
                            path"? What is it - "esoteric path"?<<

                            Esoteric traditions as described by PMCV are often distinguished
                            from "exoteric" paths. Richard Smoley and Jay Kinney in their book
                            about Western esoteric traditions, _Hidden Wisdom_, write, "Esoteric
                            spirituality is often contrasted with _exoteric_ spirituality or
                            _religion_, which constitutes the more outward forms of belief and
                            practice. […] Esoteric traditions are concerned with
                            _transcendence_, chiefly of oneself." (p. xiv)

                            AZ, I don't know if you're familiar with the now defunct _Gnosis_
                            magazine. Smoley and Kinney were editors of this excellent "Journal
                            of the Western Inner Traditions." An entire issue was devoted
                            to "Esoteric Spirituality," (Spring, 1988).
                            http://www.lumen.org/issue_contents/contents07.html

                            Cari
                          • ZELITCHENK
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 11 1:44 PM
                              Thanks.

                              I do not want to go in details (I did this in book -
                              www.geocities.com/zelitchenk - Conversations 2-3), but I want to fix
                              2 important moments you wrote about. First. The "to know" means to
                              get experience - not only words (idea). To know something is to
                              experience this "something". I think (I know) - this is most
                              important in gnosticism.

                              Second. If you do not mean historico-cultural investigation of the
                              procedures of initiation in different "schools" (it would be very
                              difficult if resolved at all problem, which in my taste is rather
                              meaningless also), then the esoteric path is inner path of somebody
                              who become Initiates. On the other hand, the phases of any inner
                              path, when the person breaks through to something new (for himself,
                              of course) are esoteric (for this person).

                              Agree?
                              AZ

                            • arose607@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 13 9:18 AM

                                No, you misunderstand. In fact, I run a club solely on the subject of
                                love and compassion in esoteric practice

                                Oh, could I have an invite?

                                Annalee :0)
                                arose607@...
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 13 3:25 PM
                                  Why sure Ms Annalee, let me post it here for the club so that anyone
                                  who wishes can join.

                                  This club is specifically about the love forms in 11th - 13th century
                                  esoteric practice connected to the courts of love. In other words,
                                  the scope is very specific in some ways. However, we do talk about
                                  Gnosticism (we draw the connection due to the Platonist origin of
                                  both, and it seems valid to gain insight as to how such movements
                                  come about by examining Gnosticism and the surprizing correlations
                                  that can be seen in some of the more experientialist versions we
                                  see... such as Monoimos, Carpocrates, etc.)

                                  Anyways, The club is meant primarily to deal with romantic (erotic)
                                  tones in the fin amore via the scala amoris of certain troubadours.