Re: [Gnosticism] Re: (im-)Perfection

  • Frater Scorpius
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2002
      93

      --- Rob Thompson <abelard42@...> wrote:

      > I do
      > remember a story of Moses from Egypt. I can't
      > remember the source but I read it in College. Very
      > different from the Hebrew point of view.

      Possibly you are referring to the Semitic tribes
      related to the Hyksos Dynasties, whom the Egyptians
      made a big point of having defeated and expelled. Some
      scholars believe that this is their version of the
      "Exodus". Josephus even went so far as to say that the
      Patriarch Joseph in his descendents (spoken of in
      Genesis) were the Hyksos "Shepherd Kings" themselves,
      a theory which still has some adherents today.

      93 93/93

      Scorpius

      =====

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2002
        "I don't know of a Gnostic story of Moses, …" (Rob, #5959)

        Hi, Rob. One that comes to mind is _Ptolemy's Epistle to Flora_ ~

        http://www.webcom.com/gnosis/library/flora.htm

        I agree with the "Archive Notes" in the link above that Bentley
        Layton's translation is preferable. Nonetheless, this letter written
        by the Valentinian teacher, Ptolemy, although an example of a more
        relaxed view of the demiurge, does show the "craftsman" as the god
        who is but one of multiple authors of the law.

        "For if the Law was not ordained by the perfect God himself, as we
        have already taught you, nor by the devil, a statement one cannot
        possibly make, the legislator must be some one other than these two.
        In fact, he is the demiurge and maker of this universe and everything
        in it; and because he is essentially different from these two and is
        between them, he is rightly given the name, intermediate."

        "First, you must learn that the entire Law contained in the
        Pentateuch of Moses was not ordained by one legislator - I mean, not
        by God alone, some commandments are Moses', and some were given by
        other men. The words of the Savior teach us this triple division."

        In this piece Ptolemy is instructing a woman apparently of
        conventional Christianity.

        "His manner of presentation is elementary, using terms that are moral
        and nonmetaphysical, and almost entirely within the realm of
        conventional Christian language … […] ..Ptolemy's conclusions take
        him to the very edge of metaphysics and myth, which he promises will
        form the next lesson his course ( […] his next lesson to Flora does
        not seem to have survived).
        […]
        In the opening of the _Epistle_, Ptolemy sets out to refute two other
        opinions on the source of the old Testament law. One opinion
        identified the legislator with the highest God; this was the view of
        ordinary Christianity and a great part of Judaism. The other
        identified the legislator with the devil; scholars have been
        uncertain about the source of this opinion, but it may refer to
        gnostics who followed a myth like the _The Secret Book According to
        John_ or _The Revelation of Adam_, where the craftsman of the world
        (Ialdabaoth) appears to be identical with the god of Israel."
        (Bentley Layton, _The Gnostic Scriptures_, pages 306-307)
      • play_nice_now
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2002
          You know what Gerry? I will only respond to one comment and leave the
          others alone for now. Like I said before, I doubt anything
          constructive will come out of a discourse between you and I. I have
          some important insights into how even a murdering rapist is accepted
          and loved by God but it is way out of the scope of this club and is
          why I didn't go there. Anyone who still sees the law and error in
          this creation can never understand.

          --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...> wrote:

          > I stand corrected. My assumption, however, was based on your
          earlier comments:

          Your assumptions are just that. Assumptions. Do you really care about
          how I view gnosticism? Do you really care about my questions being
          answered or is it more important to you that you think you answered
          them already? You want to discuss it the way you want to discuss it.
          Answer it the way you wish it to be answered. Basically, what you are
          really telling me is to just shut up and listen. So, OK. I'll take
          your advice. As PMCV asked, I'll do this tactfully and just say that
          at the present time, I simply don't agree with many of the concepts
          presented to me so far. However, that doesn't mean that I disagree
          with all of them or that I wish to change the way you see it. I do
          wish for you to attempt to understand what I see and take it for
          whatever it is worth to you. If you are ever interested in why I
          disagree, just ask. But I'll have to ask you to be as patient with me
          as you want me to be with you and others here.

          I call for a truce and I apologize if I came across that I know
          better than any of you here. I don't. Actually I don't "know" shit.
          But I do have some insights of where we may be able to find truth and
          how you can come to know it. And it has nothing to do with flaw and
          error.

          peace,
          play
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 2002
            "I have some important insights into how even a murdering rapist is
            accepted and loved by God but it is way out of the scope of this club
            and is why I didn't go there. Anyone who still sees the law and error
            in this creation can never understand." (Play, #5962)

            Oh, pooh. "NEVER understand," Play? Excuse me for butting in, … but
            you wonder why Gerry mentioned your patronizing tone? And after a
            comment like that you continue to say, "I call for a truce and I
            apologize if I came across that I know better than any of you here. I
            don't. Actually I don't "know" shit. But I do have some insights of
            where we may be able to find truth and how you can come to know it.
            And it has nothing to do with flaw and error."

            So, you "don't `know' shit'?" But you DO "have some insights of
            where we may be able to find truth and how you can come to know it"?
            So, which is it Play? Sounds like you're all over the map here.

            A Gnostic viewpoint might very well recognize "flaw and error" in
            this world, so it looks like some Gnostics might not be able to "come
            to know it" without changing their worldview. Do I hear a hint of
            proselytizing? Many believers of a loving, accepting God of
            which you speak figure there is something wrong with our world.
            Actually, Play, religions and philosophies quite often develop as a
            way of trying to make sense of a world that is perceived as flawed.
            Some religions blame humans and others don't. I accept that you
            don't consider our world to be flawed. I disagree. I sense that we
            are at a point where any more words about the subject may not help
            you comprehend our viewpoint. So, perhaps understanding us will only
            come in an experiential way, and you might still disagree (which is
            okay).

            You say to Gerry, "Your assumptions are just that. Assumptions."

            I would say that Gerry comments were more than assumptions. I'd say
            they were reasonable deductions based on comments of yours, such as
            the one he referenced for you in #5957. IOW, Play, you have a habit
            of offering conflicting statements, which only confuses members here
            as to what your point really is.

            I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, Play, and assume (if I'm
            allowed to use that term) that you have sincere intentions. However,
            as Gerry and others have said, the focus of our attention in this
            group is to learn about Gnosticism and our relationship thereto. We
            are not here to determine for others "where" truth lies. IOW, you
            may discuss your ideas in RELATION to Gnosticism. For instance, you
            say, "If there is such a thing as universal truth, and I believed
            that there was, this had to be the case. It should kind of fit
            together like a puzzle. That was the logic behind the theory. To my
            satisfaction at least, after detailed research and experience, it no
            longer is just a theory. It has become common knowledge to me now and
            I wish to share it with others like you who are close to raising "the
            veil" in your life. I can provide all sorts of references, ideas and
            quotes on all sorts of topics to clearly present my case if anyone
            here is interested." (Play, #5905) Well, fine, but you may not do
            that in this group *unless* there is a clear connection to a Gnostic
            topic being discussed. You may certainly "present" your "case" in
            another forum if you should so choose.

            Now, Play, you say you are here to learn about Gnosticism. Opinions
            are fine, even passionate ones, as long as they are related to the
            focus of this forum. Lay them out on the table. We certainly all do
            that. Others can try new ideas on for size if they choose. We
            possibly can grow on our respective paths from sharing and discussing
            and debating, but we do NOT have the intention of converting anyone
            or expecting others, sometimes even after considerable explanation,
            to understand or agree. Nor should you during discussion in this
            group.

            Peace,
            Cari

            P. S. I realize that in your view there is the likelihood that I
            have entirely misinterpreted your position. This postscript acts as
            an admission (*not* stemming from an unworthy, guilt-ridden self
            image) to the possibility that I could very well be in "error."
          • Rob Thompson

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 4, 2002
                You're welcome, Rob.

                Actually, your mention of "primary" sources reminded me that it might
                be a good idea to mention a few sources for Gnostic scripture for any
                newcomers to Gnosticism who might be interested. I already
                referenced the book, _The Gnostic Scriptures_ by Bentley Layton.
                This book contains selected, important Gnostic scriptures in addition
                to informative introductions and annotations. James Robinson's _The
                Nag Hammadi Library_ offers a complete edition of the ancient codices
                discovered in Egypt in 1945.

                Also, an extensive collection of primary documents related to
                Gnosticism, including the Nag Hammadi Library, can be found online ~
                http://gnosis.org/library.html . We are especially grateful to one
                of our members, Terje, for collecting material for this library. :-)

                (The link for the homepage of the Gnostic Archive is ~
                http://gnosis.org/ ~ where one can find much resource material in the
                way of articles, book suggestions, audio lectures, and an index of
                links.)

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 5, 2002
                  Hate to say it "Play Nice", but I'm forced to question your grasp on
                  the notion of internal consistancy. Some of your statements simply
                  don't pan out. I say this not to upset you, but to give you the
                  opportunity to examine your statements a little more closely before
                  you post them. Gerry and Cari are completely justified in questioning
                  the way you come accross. However, let me base my points on the
                  idealogical, for instance....

                  If there is such a thing as the "Infinite" source, then you are right
                  to some extent to point out that the notion of a "flaw" is in error
                  (since no opposites exist there). On the other hand it also means
                  that the "everything is good" ideal is equally in error. Someone once
                  said that nothing is good or evil but that our thinking makes it so
                  (yes, it was a Gnostic ;)).

                  Let me post this again since I don't think it hit home....

                  "Therefore they have introduced other types of explination, some
                  saying that it is according to providence that the things which exist
                  have thier being. These are the people who observe the stability and
                  the conformity of the movement of creation. Others say that it is
                  something alien. These are the people who observe the diversity and
                  the lawlessness and the evil of the powers. Others say that the
                  things which exist are what is destined to happen. These are the
                  people who were occupied with this matter. Others that it is
                  something in accordance with nature. Others say that it is self
                  existent. The majority, however, all who have reached as far as the
                  visible elements, do not know anything more than them."

                  The difference between the Gnostic "flaw" and the New Age rose
                  colored glasses? Well the difference is that we make our mistake
                  conciously rather than out of ignorace or the pathological need to
                  feel warm and fuzzy in spite of the dual nature necessary for time
                  to exist. We do it for the sake of description. However, that isn't
                  the problem. The fact is, until you know what Gnostics mean by the
                  things they say, you don't really know if you agree or disagree, nor
                  how to state what is right or wrong about it. The thing is, you are
                  still doing so. The word for this behavior is "presumption", and many
                  people find it annoying. I will be patient, as you have asked of us,
                  but don't think that "patience" is the same as letting you off the
                  hook where critical thinking is concerned.

                  >Actually I don't "know" shit. But I do have some insights of where
                  we may be able to find truth and how you can come to know it. And it
                  has nothing to do with flaw and error.<

                  If you "don't know shit", then that is about what the "insights" you
                  offer are worth. That doesn't mean that they may not be true, they
                  just haven't flowered into true cogniscence yet. Hold on to them,
                  test them, and after you _really_ know what we are talking about see
                  if they stand up to what you may learn here. We also believe we have
                  some insights as to where to find truth, and how to come to know
                  it.... and it has much to do with flaw and error (at least in an
                  allegorical sense). To add to that, there are some here who know
                  thier "shit" pretty well.

                  I hope you are able to take this in the light it is meant. I am
                  giving you a hard time, but it is not meant in an angry manner at
                  all. I think the fact is that there are a few basic principles to
                  Gnosticism that may still be a little foggy to you, let alone the
                  deep stuff for now. Yes, there is a great deal of study that is going
                  to be involved if you wish to have some understanding of Gnosticism
                  (whether or not you decide you agre with it), and you stated that you
                  are in fact curious. Any true esoteic path is going to be blood sweat
                  and tears, expect some work and some concepts that had not previously
                  hit you. This is a continual process, and any worth while esoteric
                  path is a tremendous amount of work.

                  PMCV
                • play_nice_now
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 6, 2002
                    --- In gnosticism2@y..., pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > Hate to say it "Play Nice", but I'm forced to question your grasp
                    on
                    > the notion of internal consistancy. Some of your statements simply
                    > don't pan out.

                    That is partly because I'm not explaining them clear enough and also
                    partly because this is a very difficult subject to present in an
                    absolute sense of the word as you well know.

                    > I say this not to upset you, but to give you the
                    > opportunity to examine your statements a little more closely before
                    > you post them.

                    I understand and examine my statements more closely than you think.

                    > Gerry and Cari are completely justified in questioning
                    > the way you come accross.

                    Of course they are. So are you and so am I.

                    > However, let me base my points on the
                    > idealogical, for instance....
                    >
                    > If there is such a thing as the "Infinite" source, then you are
                    right
                    > to some extent to point out that the notion of a "flaw" is in error
                    > (since no opposites exist there). On the other hand it also means
                    > that the "everything is good" ideal is equally in error. Someone
                    once
                    > said that nothing is good or evil but that our thinking makes it so
                    > (yes, it was a Gnostic ;)).

                    I would more agree with the latter. Everything isn't good as much as
                    everything isn't bad. I think that was the point I was trying to
                    make. When I come off sounding like everything is good, it is more to
                    illustrate the idea that everything is exactly as it should be and
                    not flawed is as valid as the idea that flaw and error exists. I'm
                    saying the same thing as you but adding this insight to it. The
                    former way of thinking allows one to see God's perfection much more
                    readily than the latter. Acceptance, love and compassion are things
                    of tremendous importance and value especially in this day and age,
                    are more easily assimilated into being than seeing things as flawed
                    or in error in my opinion. Humanity seeks to "fix" things that are
                    considered "flawed" or in "error". Our track record in judging what
                    is messed up or not isn't exactly the best if you catch my drift. I
                    don't trust that judgement as much as I trust love, tolerance and
                    compassion which by their very nature don't concern themselves with
                    the flaws and errors that seemingly exist from a perspective that
                    roots out love, compassion and tolerance in their thinking. I can see
                    that these are not valued from the perspective here when I get
                    comments from you and others that ideas based upon love, acceptance
                    and tolerance are "rose colored", "warm and fuzzy" and the like. Like
                    these are "bad" things. I'll tell you truly that warm and fuzzy ideas
                    are much more preferable to suicide bombers dieing and killing for
                    their belief in what they consider "right". Fixing what they consider
                    as flawed and in error. Rose colored glasses are better than blood
                    stained ones anyday.

                    This subject of truth and God and spirituality is very much a matter
                    of perspective. It isn't as objective as many people think it is. You
                    don't agree? That is why I question every path when it seems to me
                    that people are so married to one idea over all others. From what I
                    see here, Gnosticism isn't much different in this regard. Like I have
                    said a bunch of times already, truth isn't a matter of right and
                    wrong, good or bad, up or down, left or right. All things are part of
                    what is true. It is more about acceptance and tolerance than anything
                    else in my opinion.

                    > Let me post this again since I don't think it hit home....
                    >
                    > "Therefore they have introduced other types of explination, some
                    > saying that it is according to providence that the things which
                    exist
                    > have thier being. These are the people who observe the stability
                    and
                    > the conformity of the movement of creation. Others say that it is
                    > something alien. These are the people who observe the diversity and
                    > the lawlessness and the evil of the powers. Others say that the
                    > things which exist are what is destined to happen. These are the
                    > people who were occupied with this matter. Others that it is
                    > something in accordance with nature. Others say that it is self
                    > existent. The majority, however, all who have reached as far as the
                    > visible elements, do not know anything more than them."

                    No. It hit home. I would agree with that and it is why I say that "I
                    don't know shit". Compared to what there is to know, I don't. Neither
                    does anyone here. I give that the respect that it deserves. Doesn't
                    mean that I know nothing as much as it means that I have much to
                    learn. Much to remember. So do we all.

                    > The difference between the Gnostic "flaw" and the New Age rose
                    > colored glasses? Well the difference is that we make our mistake
                    > conciously rather than out of ignorace or the pathological need to
                    > feel warm and fuzzy in spite of the dual nature necessary for time
                    > to exist. We do it for the sake of description. However, that isn't
                    > the problem. The fact is, until you know what Gnostics mean by the
                    > things they say, you don't really know if you agree or disagree,
                    nor
                    > how to state what is right or wrong about it. The thing is, you are
                    > still doing so. The word for this behavior is "presumption", and
                    many
                    > people find it annoying. I will be patient, as you have asked of
                    us,
                    > but don't think that "patience" is the same as letting you off the
                    > hook where critical thinking is concerned.

                    My thinking about what is being said in here is critical. I'll try to
                    be more clear if and when I decide to post anything in here again.
                    I'm sorry if I annoyed anyone.

                    > If you "don't know shit", then that is about what the "insights"
                    you offer are worth.

                    I explained what I meant by that statement above so it should be
                    clearer to understand now.

                    > That doesn't mean that they may not be true, they
                    > just haven't flowered into true cogniscence yet. Hold on to them,
                    > test them, and after you _really_ know what we are talking about
                    see
                    > if they stand up to what you may learn here. We also believe we
                    have
                    > some insights as to where to find truth, and how to come to know
                    > it.... and it has much to do with flaw and error (at least in an
                    > allegorical sense). To add to that, there are some here who know
                    > thier "shit" pretty well.

                    I have said many times that you all "know" as much as anyone when it
                    comes to what is true. And all paths eventually lead to truth. You
                    know well what you know but compared to what there is to know,
                    well.....each of us doesn't know much. That isn't presumption. It is
                    truth.

                    > I hope you are able to take this in the light it is meant. I am
                    > giving you a hard time, but it is not meant in an angry manner at
                    > all. I think the fact is that there are a few basic principles to
                    > Gnosticism that may still be a little foggy to you, let alone the
                    > deep stuff for now. Yes, there is a great deal of study that is
                    going
                    > to be involved if you wish to have some understanding of Gnosticism
                    > (whether or not you decide you agre with it), and you stated that
                    you
                    > are in fact curious.

                    I am not at all irritated and have read a bunch of Gnostic "stuff"
                    already. I am still curious. The one item that impresses me the most
                    is the Gospel of Truth. The Gospel of Thomas is interesting but open
                    to too much interpretation by the reader. Words taken out of context
                    lends itself to much confusion in my opinion. Reminds me of what
                    fundamentalist Christianity does to support ideas that the original
                    teachings weren't meant to portray.

                    > Any true esoteic path is going to be blood sweat
                    > and tears, expect some work and some concepts that had not
                    previously
                    > hit you. This is a continual process, and any worth while esoteric
                    > path is a tremendous amount of work.

                    So true. I've been on the inner path for a while now and it is
                    exactly as you say. I have shared much with you in this post and
                    hopefully now you understand me and my "contradictory" nature a bit
                    more. Hey, come to think of it, a gnostic shouldn't have much of a
                    problem with contradictions. You have read the Gospel of Thomas
                    haven't you?

                    peace be with you,
                    play
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 6, 2002
                      Ok Play, you do in fact make some areas of where you are comming from
                      more clear, and that is quite helpful.

                      To deal with some specific points you raise....

                      >When I come off sounding like everything is good, it is more to
                      illustrate the idea that everything is exactly as it should be and
                      not flawed is as valid as the idea that flaw and error exists. I'm
                      saying the same thing as you but adding this insight to it. The
                      former way of thinking allows one to see God's perfection much more
                      readily than the latter.<

                      I see two problems that present themselves to the Gnostic perspective
                      here. One is a logical flaw called "non sequitor" (which means "it
                      doesn't follow"). Whether or not things are "as it shood be" is not
                      necessarily relevent to whether or not there is a flaw. A flaw can be
                      intentional. On the other hand, intent can be a flaw which would make
                      the notion of "as it should be" flawed in and of itself
                      since "should" could be error from the getgo. The next one is
                      concerning "God". You are assuming we believe in one to make this
                      statement.

                      >Acceptance, love and compassion are things of tremendous importance
                      and value especially in this day and age, are more easily assimilated
                      into being than seeing things as flawed or in error in my opinion.<

                      Once again, non sequitor. The notion of flaw in no way implies a lack
                      of love or compassion. However, love, like all other things you can
                      name, applies to the field of time rather than to infinity.

                      >I don't trust that judgement as much as I trust love<

                      I don't "trust" period (as far as philosophical points are
                      concerned). "Trust" is another way of saying "believe" or "have faith
                      in". The point is, that is "pistic" not "gnostic". We don't seek
                      to "believe", we seek to "know". I know that love and compassion are
                      very valuable, and can even be footsteps in the path to Gnosis, they
                      are also limited.

                      >I can see that these are not valued from the perspective here when I
                      get comments from you and others that ideas based upon love,
                      acceptance and tolerance are "rose colored", "warm and fuzzy" and the
                      like.<

                      No, you misunderstand. In fact, I run a club solely on the subject of
                      love and compassion in esoteric practice. What is "rose colored" is
                      the need to imply that that love is a matter of providence, and that
                      we should float along being guided by it to the point of excluding
                      critical thought, that we should simply "trust" our hearts and not
                      stop to think about it. If you have been following my discussion with
                      Wilbro you may have noticed that I outlined the function of "Logos"
                      and "Sophia" in a sort of Jungian manner.... well that applies here
                      as well.

                      >I'll tell you truly that warm and fuzzy ideas
                      are much more preferable to suicide bombers dieing and killing for
                      their belief in what they consider "right". Rose colored glasses are
                      better than blood stained ones anyday.<

                      Not if everything is "the way it should be". If that is the case then
                      thier hate is every bit as important as your love, and even
                      preferable in some circumstances. Beyond love and hate is the true
                      repose of the spirit. You see, those rose colored glasses are one and
                      the same as the blood stained ones. The eyes of the spirit need no
                      glasses at all.

                      >All things are part of what is true.<

                      Only when talking about worldly perception. Remember the post from
                      the Tripartite tractate? "The majority, however, all who have reached
                      as far as the visible elements, do not know anything more than them."
                      The "truth" you keep mentioning is one that is dependant on the
                      visible elements, as is "love", and "acceptance". All these things
                      that exist as "part of what is true", no longer exist in what is
                      really True.

                      >This subject of truth and God and spirituality is very much a matter
                      of perspective.<

                      Only when looked at from somewhere that has "perspective", i.e. the
                      world of the "visible elements".

                      >And all paths eventually lead to truth.<

                      Demonstrate this. I doubt it seriously.

                      >The one item that impresses me the most
                      is the Gospel of Truth. The Gospel of Thomas is interesting but open
                      to too much interpretation by the reader.<

                      It is also debatable as to whether Thomas is in fact "Gnostic".

                      >I've been on the inner path for a while now and it is
                      exactly as you say.<

                      Hmmm, except I didn't say the "inner path", I said the "esoteric
                      path", there is a difference.

                      >Hey, come to think of it, a gnostic shouldn't have much of a
                      problem with contradictions. You have read the Gospel of Thomas
                      haven't you?<

                      There is a difference between intentional contradiction for the sake
                      of illustration (such as we see at the biginning of the tripartite
                      tractate), and idealogical inconsistancy. Once again, The "Gnostic"
                      validity of Thomas is open to debate.

                      I do think though, that we may be closer to understanding each other.

                      PMCV
                    • play_nice_now
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 6, 2002
                        --- In gnosticism2@y..., pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > Ok Play, you do in fact make some areas of where you are comming
                        from
                        > more clear, and that is quite helpful.
                        >
                        > To deal with some specific points you raise....
                        >
                        > >When I come off sounding like everything is good, it is more to
                        > illustrate the idea that everything is exactly as it should be and
                        > not flawed is as valid as the idea that flaw and error exists. I'm
                        > saying the same thing as you but adding this insight to it. The
                        > former way of thinking allows one to see God's perfection much more
                        > readily than the latter.<
                        >
                        > I see two problems that present themselves to the Gnostic
                        perspective
                        > here. One is a logical flaw called "non sequitor" (which means "it
                        > doesn't follow"). Whether or not things are "as it shood be" is not
                        > necessarily relevent to whether or not there is a flaw. A flaw can
                        be
                        > intentional. On the other hand, intent can be a flaw which would
                        make
                        > the notion of "as it should be" flawed in and of itself
                        > since "should" could be error from the getgo.

                        I know what non-sequior is. Spiritual concepts are filled with them.
                        Even Gnostic ones my friend. OK I can accept that as strictly a
                        gnostic perspective. But I can't accept that as absolute truth, I'm
                        sorry.

                        > The next one is
                        > concerning "God". You are assuming we believe in one to make this
                        > statement.

                        Well, maybe the word "believe" isn't the correct one to use.
                        Gnostics "know" there is one. Why do I say that? Read the Gospel of
                        Truth. Who is the Father? What is meant by "This is the manifestation
                        of the Father and his revelation to his Aeons. He revealed his hidden
                        self and explained it. For who is it who exists if it is not the
                        Father himself? All the spaces are his emanations."

                        Maybe this might be a good time for a clarification of terms? Who is
                        the Father? What exactly about himself did he explain to his Aeons?
                        Where are his spaces?

                        > >Acceptance, love and compassion are things of tremendous
                        importance
                        > and value especially in this day and age, are more easily
                        assimilated
                        > into being than seeing things as flawed or in error in my opinion.<
                        >
                        > Once again, non sequitor. The notion of flaw in no way implies a
                        lack
                        > of love or compassion.

                        You need examples?

                        > However, love, like all other things you can
                        > name, applies to the field of time rather than to infinity.

                        Love is also quite timeless and infinite in many ways. Do you
                        understand what I mean by that?

                        > >I don't trust that judgement as much as I trust love<
                        >
                        > I don't "trust" period (as far as philosophical points are
                        > concerned). "Trust" is another way of saying "believe" or "have
                        faith
                        > in".

                        Not really. You trust what you know even if it is philosophical,
                        don't you?

                        > The point is, that is "pistic" not "gnostic". We don't seek
                        > to "believe", we seek to "know". I know that love and compassion
                        are
                        > very valuable, and can even be footsteps in the path to Gnosis,
                        they
                        > are also limited.

                        What isn't limited? Pistic or Gnostic. Even knowledge has its limits.
                        However, we are seeking to know and that is more valuable, even for
                        me than to trust or believe in something blindly.

                        > >I can see that these are not valued from the perspective here when
                        > get comments from you and others that ideas based upon love,
                        > acceptance and tolerance are "rose colored", "warm and fuzzy" and
                        the
                        > like.<
                        >
                        > No, you misunderstand. In fact, I run a club solely on the subject
                        of
                        > love and compassion in esoteric practice.

                        Can I join?

                        > What is "rose colored" is
                        > the need to imply that that love is a matter of providence, and
                        that
                        > we should float along being guided by it to the point of excluding
                        > critical thought, that we should simply "trust" our hearts and not
                        > stop to think about it. If you have been following my discussion
                        with
                        > Wilbro you may have noticed that I outlined the function of "Logos"
                        > and "Sophia" in a sort of Jungian manner.... well that applies here
                        > as well.

                        I'm with that and agree with you completely. *smiles*

                        > >I'll tell you truly that warm and fuzzy ideas
                        > are much more preferable to suicide bombers dieing and killing for
                        > their belief in what they consider "right". Rose colored glasses
                        are
                        > better than blood stained ones anyday.<
                        >
                        > Not if everything is "the way it should be". If that is the case
                        then
                        > thier hate is every bit as important as your love, and even
                        > preferable in some circumstances. Beyond love and hate is the true
                        > repose of the spirit. You see, those rose colored glasses are one
                        and
                        > the same as the blood stained ones. The eyes of the spirit need no
                        > glasses at all.

                        So true and great point.

                        > >All things are part of what is true.<
                        >
                        > Only when talking about worldly perception. Remember the post from
                        > the Tripartite tractate? "The majority, however, all who have
                        reached
                        > as far as the visible elements, do not know anything more than
                        them."
                        > The "truth" you keep mentioning is one that is dependant on the
                        > visible elements, as is "love", and "acceptance". All these things
                        > that exist as "part of what is true", no longer exist in what is
                        > really True.

                        Not really CV. I can't get into this right now because I'm running
                        out of time. But we should get back to it.

                        > >This subject of truth and God and spirituality is very much a
                        matter
                        > of perspective.<
                        >
                        > Only when looked at from somewhere that has "perspective", i.e. the
                        > world of the "visible elements".

                        True. Perspective is fragments of the All. or sort of anyway.

                        > >And all paths eventually lead to truth.<
                        >
                        > Demonstrate this. I doubt it seriously.

                        All paths are the truth. Just by reason that they are paths that are
                        being taken. They exist and are therefore valid from the perspective
                        of the All.

                        > >The one item that impresses me the most
                        > is the Gospel of Truth. The Gospel of Thomas is interesting but
                        open
                        > to too much interpretation by the reader.<
                        >
                        > It is also debatable as to whether Thomas is in fact "Gnostic".

                        I could see why.

                        > >I've been on the inner path for a while now and it is
                        > exactly as you say.<
                        >
                        > Hmmm, except I didn't say the "inner path", I said the "esoteric
                        > path", there is a difference.

                        Excuse me. Yes you are correct. There is a big difference.

                        > >Hey, come to think of it, a gnostic shouldn't have much of a
                        > problem with contradictions. You have read the Gospel of Thomas
                        > haven't you?<
                        >
                        > There is a difference between intentional contradiction for the
                        sake
                        > of illustration (such as we see at the biginning of the tripartite
                        > tractate), and idealogical inconsistancy. Once again, The "Gnostic"
                        > validity of Thomas is open to debate.
                        >
                        > I do think though, that we may be closer to understanding each
                        other.

                        so do I CV. So do I.

                        Thanks,
                        Al

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 6, 2002
                          Now we are getting to some meaty bits Play.

                          >I know what non-sequior is. Spiritual concepts are filled with them.
                          Even Gnostic ones my friend. OK I can accept that as strictly a
                          gnostic perspective. But I can't accept that as absolute truth, I'm
                          sorry.<

                          Now you're talking. This is the kind of response I can respect. You
                          have stated that you get the point, and that you disagree with it.
                          Good man. Anyways, I'm sure you are right that there are some
                          examples here and there in Gnostic scripture of "non-sequitor", but
                          generally speaking it is something that Gnosticism takes great pains
                          to avoid (being a classical philosophy and all). In fact, it is this
                          very point that to some extent the cosmology of Gnosticism grows
                          from. Perhaps you can point out some past Gnostic mistakes of this
                          sort?

                          >Gnostics "know" there is one (a god). Why do I say that? Read the
                          Gospel of Truth. Who is the Father? What is meant by "This is the
                          manifestation of the Father and his revelation to his Aeons. He
                          revealed his hidden self and explained it. For who is it who exists
                          if it is not the Father himself? All the spaces are his emanations."<

                          You've read this passage overly literally if you think it is talking
                          about "God" in the normal meaning of the word. This is why I have
                          stressed familiarization with certain Gnostic concepts before really
                          stating which ones you are with and which ones you don't. However,
                          your next question is a good segue for that discussion.

                          >Maybe this might be a good time for a clarification of terms? Who is
                          the Father? What exactly about himself did he explain to his Aeons?
                          Where are his spaces?<

                          That "Father" is the "Image", the reflection of the Infinite. It is
                          from the image that the emanations proceed. The emanations are
                          constructs of our capacity to understand the realms of existance that
                          we percieve as the Platonic base existantial realms where the "Forms"
                          are expressed (in other words, areas of lessor division from the
                          unity of the image, which is a reflection of the lack of being that
                          is the Prime Source). The "explination to the Aeons" is revelation of
                          the reflection as WE proceed to greater understanding of the process
                          (the Gnostic experience of the Pleroma)

                          Thus, all these terms that look like the pistic Christian lingo are
                          allegories, not literal realities, in the Gnostic meaning. When it
                          says "God is Good" it means that true perfection is in the unity
                          beyond the field of opposites, and it diminishes with the movement
                          away from the unity.

                          Lets deal with the Gospel of Truth for a second. It is largely a
                          Valintinian work, so we can temper it's meaning to a Valintinian
                          interperater with another Valintinian work (we must be careful not to
                          say "this is what Gnostics believed" from the outline of a single
                          sect, that would be false... and we should avoid drawing on another
                          sect's works to fill in). Take a look at the second paragraph in "A
                          Valintinian Exposition", this should make clear the "Image" aspect I
                          was talking about. There is a First father that is ambiguous, and the
                          second Father, who is the Son and the source of the All. Then, if you
                          look over at the first part of the Tripartite Tractate (another
                          Valintinian work), it will make clear how all of this is allegory, a
                          means of conceptualization rather than a literal reality (also notice
                          the repeating phrase "I for my part call it..." in a Valintinian
                          Exposition)

                          >Love is also quite timeless and infinite in many ways. Do you
                          understand what I mean by that?<

                          Yes, I understand your intent, but I'm not sure you understand what I
                          mean by "infinite".

                          >You trust what you know even if it is philosophical,
                          don't you?<

                          No, I proceed with assumption for practical reasons only. I don't
                          trust my perception, I don't trust my philosophy, I don't
                          trust "God". The one thing I "trust" is that my spiritual
                          understanding is based on a methodology that is as sound as one can
                          get in this world... which is not to say perfect or "trustable". My
                          statements concerning my grasp of "truth", what I "know" (Gnosis),
                          must be understood to refer to relative degree, not absolute
                          attainment.

                          >All paths are the truth. Just by reason that they are paths that are
                          being taken. They exist and are therefore valid from the perspective
                          of the All.<

                          You still haven't demonstrated this though. Why should I believe all
                          paths are equal in validity? Do all roads _really_ lead to Rome?
                          nope! Why should I believe that ignorance is equal to knowledge, or
                          that matter is equal to spirit? If there is such a thing as "truth"
                          (which implicitly contains the notion of accuracy vs error) then
                          there is also such a thing as being closer to or farther from it.
                          Some paths promote ignorance, they discourage people from looking
                          inward, they are materialistic, aspiritual, and even harmful. A
                          society exhibits the collective neurosis of it's constituency. So, a
                          path (being a social creation as it is) can be lazy, greedy, hateful,
                          ignorant, silly, addictive, loving, intellegent, prideful, or any
                          other failing or strength you can apply to an individual. No right or
                          wrong? Maybe (though I would debate that), there still seems to
                          be "better".

                          Here is another thought. In spite of all our differences there are
                          also areas that are generalities to all of humanity. This collective
                          subconcious denies individual perspective as anything more than
                          ornament, and deals with that universal humanity... the area we are
                          all the same. For all paths to be equally valid, they would have to
                          be demonstratable as not only comparatively similar on this front (as
                          many paths, though not all, do indeed demonstrate), but also as
                          having equally positive effect (since spirituality is initiated
                          partly from the individual's ability to deal with this connection on
                          a more concious level). I would challenge you to demonstrate this
                          principle as it relates to a comparative study of silopsism vs the
                          Pentecostal church vs science.... and the way they define "reality".
                          If you pull that off I will be impressed, and you will have convinced
                          me of your point.

                          PMCV
                        • play_nice_now
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 7, 2002
                            --- In gnosticism2@y..., pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                            > Now we are getting to some meaty bits Play.

                            *smiles* Did you have any doubt that this was going to happen?

                            > >I know what non-sequior is. Spiritual concepts are filled with
                            them.
                            > Even Gnostic ones my friend. OK I can accept that as strictly a
                            > gnostic perspective. But I can't accept that as absolute truth, I'm
                            > sorry.<
                            >
                            > Now you're talking. This is the kind of response I can respect. You
                            > have stated that you get the point, and that you disagree with it.
                            > Good man. Anyways, I'm sure you are right that there are some
                            > examples here and there in Gnostic scripture of "non-sequitor", but
                            > generally speaking it is something that Gnosticism takes great
                            pains
                            > to avoid (being a classical philosophy and all). In fact, it is
                            this
                            > very point that to some extent the cosmology of Gnosticism grows
                            > from. Perhaps you can point out some past Gnostic mistakes of this
                            > sort?

                            OK. In the Tripartite Tractate:

                            "Not one of the names which are conceived or spoken, seen or grasped -
                            not one of them applies to him, even though they are exceedingly
                            glorious, magnifying and honored. However, it is possible to utter
                            these names for his glory and honor, in accordance with the capacity
                            of each of those who give him glory."

                            It doesn't follow that if names can't be conceived or spoken that
                            they can still be uttered.

                            and:

                            "the form of the formless,
                            the body of the bodiless,
                            the face of the invisible,
                            the word of the unutterable, "

                            C'mon. If I wrote this, you would get annoyed.

                            There are more but this is all I have time for right now.

                            > >Gnostics "know" there is one (a god). Why do I say that? Read the
                            > Gospel of Truth. Who is the Father? What is meant by "This is the
                            > manifestation of the Father and his revelation to his Aeons. He
                            > revealed his hidden self and explained it. For who is it who exists
                            > if it is not the Father himself? All the spaces are his
                            emanations."<

                            > You've read this passage overly literally if you think it is
                            talking
                            > about "God" in the normal meaning of the word.

                            That is where you misunderstand me. I don't view "God" in the normal
                            meaning of the word. When I talk about "It" God is nothing akin to
                            what fundamentalists say IT is. Unfortunatel, the word "God" was used
                            too much by others that it now has a negative stigma attached to IT
                            that just turns people off. But that is not the God of which I speak.

                            > This is why I have
                            > stressed familiarization with certain Gnostic concepts before
                            really
                            > stating which ones you are with and which ones you don't. However,
                            > your next question is a good segue for that discussion.
                            >
                            > >Maybe this might be a good time for a clarification of terms? Who
                            is
                            > the Father? What exactly about himself did he explain to his Aeons?
                            > Where are his spaces?<
                            >
                            > That "Father" is the "Image", the reflection of the Infinite. It is
                            > from the image that the emanations proceed. The emanations are
                            > constructs of our capacity to understand the realms of existance
                            that
                            > we percieve as the Platonic base existantial realms where
                            the "Forms"
                            > are expressed (in other words, areas of lessor division from the
                            > unity of the image, which is a reflection of the lack of being that
                            > is the Prime Source). The "explination to the Aeons" is revelation
                            of
                            > the reflection as WE proceed to greater understanding of the
                            process
                            > (the Gnostic experience of the Pleroma)

                            I understand. But I also take it to mean much more than that. These
                            emanations of image also take form into a physical "reality" of which
                            we now find ourselves immersed. What you say above is true but there
                            is also this physical component of matter and form that is a part of
                            what is being eminated from the "Father" which is unity. I posit that
                            this physical existence is a part of what the infinite has created,
                            however finite, flawed or in error it may seem. It then follows that
                            if that is the case, then it has some value and is valid. No matter
                            what the form or station in life.

                            > Thus, all these terms that look like the pistic Christian lingo are
                            > allegories, not literal realities, in the Gnostic meaning. When it
                            > says "God is Good" it means that true perfection is in the unity
                            > beyond the field of opposites, and it diminishes with the movement
                            > away from the unity.

                            That is so true.

                            > Lets deal with the Gospel of Truth for a second. It is largely a
                            > Valintinian work, so we can temper it's meaning to a Valintinian
                            > interperater with another Valintinian work (we must be careful not
                            > say "this is what Gnostics believed" from the outline of a single
                            > sect, that would be false... and we should avoid drawing on another
                            > sect's works to fill in). Take a look at the second paragraph in "A
                            > Valintinian Exposition", this should make clear the "Image" aspect
                            > was talking about. There is a First father that is ambiguous, and
                            the
                            > second Father, who is the Son and the source of the All. Then, if
                            you
                            > look over at the first part of the Tripartite Tractate (another
                            > Valintinian work), it will make clear how all of this is allegory,
                            > means of conceptualization rather than a literal reality (also
                            notice
                            > the repeating phrase "I for my part call it..." in a Valintinian
                            > Exposition)

                            OK, I see what you are talking about.

                            > >Love is also quite timeless and infinite in many ways. Do you
                            > understand what I mean by that?<
                            >
                            > Yes, I understand your intent, but I'm not sure you understand what
                            > mean by "infinite".

                            Maybe it is time for another clarification of terms, eh?

                            > >You trust what you know even if it is philosophical,
                            > don't you?<
                            >
                            > No, I proceed with assumption for practical reasons only. I don't
                            > trust my perception, I don't trust my philosophy, I don't
                            > trust "God". The one thing I "trust" is that my spiritual
                            > understanding is based on a methodology that is as sound as one can
                            > get in this world... which is not to say perfect or "trustable". My
                            > statements concerning my grasp of "truth", what I "know" (Gnosis),
                            > must be understood to refer to relative degree, not absolute
                            > attainment.

                            Trust, or anything else for that matter in this existence, is rarely
                            absolute. I'm talking about to a relative degree. I'm afraid that
                            will have to suffice for us in this life. But, from that perspective,
                            I take it that you do trust what you have come to know. That is what
                            I'm talking about.

                            > >All paths are the truth. Just by reason that they are paths that
                            are
                            > being taken. They exist and are therefore valid from the
                            perspective
                            > of the All.<
                            >
                            > You still haven't demonstrated this though. Why should I believe
                            all
                            > paths are equal in validity?

                            OK. Because I exist and have my truth, you exist and have your truth
                            and everyone and everything else exists and has it's truth, it
                            follows, whether we agree with these truths or not, that these truths
                            do in fact exist and are therefore her, now and valid. We are
                            products or emanations of the "Father's" word which is to say
                            emanations of his total truth. Because we are "here", we are a part
                            of "his" word. "His" truth which can't be denied.

                            > Do all roads _really_ lead to Rome?
                            > nope! Why should I believe that ignorance is equal to knowledge, or
                            > that matter is equal to spirit?

                            I'm not looking at it that way. Not a matter of equality. It is a
                            matter of what is and isn't. Fact is ignorance, whether equal or not
                            is still part of truth since it does, in fact, exist.

                            > If there is such a thing as "truth"
                            > (which implicitly contains the notion of accuracy vs error) then
                            > there is also such a thing as being closer to or farther from it.

                            Only from our limited perspective is that true. But truth, the truth
                            itself has its own say and is its own entity. It doesn't
                            concern "itself" with who is closer or further from it. It is what it
                            is. So again. I'm sorry but I can't agree with that.

                            > Some paths promote ignorance, they discourage people from looking
                            > inward, they are materialistic, aspiritual, and even harmful. A
                            > society exhibits the collective neurosis of it's constituency. So,
                            > path (being a social creation as it is) can be lazy, greedy,
                            hateful,
                            > ignorant, silly, addictive, loving, intellegent, prideful, or any
                            > other failing or strength you can apply to an individual. No right
                            or
                            > wrong? Maybe (though I would debate that), there still seems to
                            > be "better".

                            These are judgements of truth. But the truth is that these paths do
                            exist and are therefore a part of what is truth. If we can accept
                            that all things emanate from one source, from the "Father" or from
                            what the infinite, it follows that what we consider bad or good,
                            wrong or right, error and perfection or whatever came from this one
                            source and therefore can't help but to lead back to it.

                            > Here is another thought. In spite of all our differences there are
                            > also areas that are generalities to all of humanity. This
                            collective
                            > subconcious denies individual perspective as anything more than
                            > ornament, and deals with that universal humanity... the area we are
                            > all the same. For all paths to be equally valid, they would have to
                            > be demonstratable as not only comparatively similar on this front
                            (as
                            > many paths, though not all, do indeed demonstrate), but also as
                            > having equally positive effect (since spirituality is initiated
                            > partly from the individual's ability to deal with this connection
                            on
                            > a more concious level). I would challenge you to demonstrate this
                            > principle as it relates to a comparative study of silopsism vs the
                            > Pentecostal church vs science.... and the way they
                            define "reality".
                            > If you pull that off I will be impressed, and you will have
                            convinced
                            > me of your point.

                            I think we are getting bogged down in terms of what is valid. The way
                            I'm looking at this, if it "is" then it is valid regardless of what
                            we think about it. I'm not placing judgement or comparing anyone or
                            anything here. If it "is" it must have come from the prime source
                            directly or indirectly since all things that "are" come from that one
                            thought. In that sense they are valid. I'm careful to say it this way
                            to avoid judgeing what is right or wrong. Another way of saying this
                            is that the one truth is broken up into all sorts of truths which
                            makes the one truth all encompassing. In its own "image". No matter
                            which way you look at this, from the top down or from the bottom up
                            it leads to and from the prime source. This is who I refer to
                            as "God". The one God. Not Demiurge. The All are with the "Father"
                            and do not exist for themselves. The All exist for and with him, even
                            in the physical sense, for physicality can also be allegory to what
                            is infinite. Nothing is far from the "Father" if it is all in Him.

                            peace,
                            play
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 7, 2002
                              >It doesn't follow that if names can't be conceived or spoken that
                              they can still be uttered.<

                              Well, technically neither of these examples are non sequitor Play.
                              They are a contention of our need to give a name to something in
                              spite of the innacuracy that this causes.

                              >C'mon. If I wrote this, you would get annoyed.<

                              No Play, if you had said this then it would be clear that you were
                              cogniscent of the allagory, rather than being literal. In other
                              words, the issue here has been that you _appear_ to be speaking from
                              the opposite direction as the examples you give. Now, if it is part
                              of your point here with these examples to show that you are indeed
                              aware if this, and that your belief in the connection of "love" to
                              the infinite (for example) is only a metaphore rather than literal,
                              then I would say "well why didn't you say so in the first place!"...
                              I mean, the whole point of what I have said to you is that you seem
                              to be very literal minded in interpreting some things that are not
                              intended that way. For instance, it has seemed that you believed the
                              Aeons are a literal accurate cosmological structure. If this is not
                              the case, then we are in agreement.

                              >I don't view "God" in the normal meaning of the word.<

                              The question is whether or not you view "God" as a literal
                              providential force, or as a construct of ours for the sake of dealing
                              with higher philosophical subjects.

                              >I understand. But I also take it to mean much more than that. These
                              emanations of image also take form into a physical "reality" of which
                              we now find ourselves immersed.<

                              I understand that you believe that, however it isn't what the author
                              of this book believed. Instead the Aeons (to the Gnostic writer) are
                              seperated from physicality by a limit placed in the eighth (or ninth
                              depending on the source) realm of the Archons (sometimes this is
                              Saboath, others it is Low Sophia). It is beneath that limit that
                              Yaldabaoth works.

                              >I posit that this physical existence is a part of what the infinite
                              has created<

                              The question however is whether or not the Infinite "created"
                              anything. If it did then it isn't really infinite since it has
                              motive.... and motive is a finite action.

                              >Maybe it is time for another clarification of terms, eh?<

                              Ok, think of it this way.... there can be two meanings of the
                              term "infinite". One is the general principle of physical un-
                              measurability. The universe for instance may be "infinite" in this
                              way, since it has no end (at least that we are able to positively
                              discern) right?. This lack of ends gives it sort of an eternal
                              quality. The same is true of numbers, as far as we know they don't
                              end, they are "infinite" in that sense. However, this is only
                              physical "infinity" not pure philosophical "Infinity". This second
                              form of Infinity not only has no measurable ends, but no points of
                              measurability anywhere. Numbers may go off into infinity, but
                              wherever you are on that journey is still a finite point. No such
                              thing exists in true, pure, infinity, since the existance of a finite
                              point counters the absolute quality of the philsophical "form". Since
                              all terms are finite concepts, we can only talk about pure infinity
                              according to what it is not. Infinity isn't "big", because "big" is a
                              thing right? This is what the biginning of the tripartite tractate is
                              trying to say when it goes through that long list of negations, then
                              saying that in reality God is not good, but we call it that because
                              it gives honor to the concept.

                              There is an implication here that I want to make clear. If we are
                              talking about "part" of an infinity, we can only mean that physical
                              infinity since the pure concept has no "parts"... no points of the
                              finite to disrupt the pure form of the concept. This is the crux of
                              our conversation in that the point you seemed to make, and the one
                              that I was countering, is the notion of a "God" that has literal
                              (rather than allegorical) attributes like "love". To Gnostics, such a
                              conceptualization of "God" prevents one from being able to begin to
                              gain that realization of pure philosophical infinity (which is partly
                              what "Gnosis" is)

                              Now, let me backtrack. This conversation started between you and
                              Gerry primarily on the subject of anthropomorphization. The true
                              question though is not whether you commit this fallacy (which we all
                              must do), but whether you do it conciously, or if you believe it
                              literally.

                              >OK. Because I exist and have my truth, you exist and have your truth
                              and everyone and everything else exists and has it's truth, it
                              follows, whether we agree with these truths or not, that these truths
                              do in fact exist and are therefore her, now and valid.<

                              AH, so by "truth" you mean "realities" it seems. In that way yes, we
                              all have our material existance. However, to the Gnostic those are
                              not truth, on the contrary they are quite false.

                              >We are products or emanations of the "Father's" word which is to say
                              emanations of his total truth. Because we are "here", we are a part
                              of "his" word. "His" truth which can't be denied.<

                              Are we? The Gnostic cosmology certainly raises question about just
                              what we are a part of.

                              >I'm not looking at it that way. Not a matter of equality. It is a
                              matter of what is and isn't. Fact is ignorance, whether equal or not
                              is still part of truth since it does, in fact, exist.<

                              That is assuming that "existance" is "truth". Unless the real truth
                              is not found in existance, but in the pure philosophical infinity. So
                              what "is" and "isn't" is not the truth.

                              PMCV
                            • ZELITCHENK
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 8, 2002
                                2 simple questions. First. I see the difference between "to believe"
                                and "to know" is fundumental for you. Can you articulate this in more
                                details. What does it mean - "to know"? What does it mean - "to
                                believe"? Where is difference?

                                Second. What is the difference between "esoteric path" and "inner
                                path"? What is it - "esoteric path"?

                              • hey_market
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 8, 2002
                                  I'm stepping into this conversation late, and haven't read all the
                                  threads, so I may be repeating thing or speaking out of turn here.

                                  For what it's worth Play, I will note that it's a bit simplistic to
                                  even suppose that love and suicide bombers don't mix, since the
                                  latter certainly have rose-tinted glasses (godly and saintly even, at
                                  least in their estimation), even rosier than most I'd warrant, since
                                  they so adamantly believe they can take action to realize a world of
                                  perfection--a world they love--one that would exsist if they could
                                  only blow up or otherwise eradicate all of the enemies of their
                                  perfect world.

                                  And those enemies are located in the mind as much as anywhere else,
                                  particularly in minds that refuse to see that their world is as
                                  flawed as the next person's.

                                  It was Shakespeare who wrote that "nothing is, but thinking makes it
                                  so." And given your appreciation for this line, then you might see
                                  how it applies not only to any conception of love, including a suiced
                                  bombers, but to any thoughts period.

                                  As such, how this little bit of wisdom plays out in this instance is
                                  that "nothing is love, but my thinking makes it so," or "nothing is
                                  good, but my thinking makes it so," and then invetably, "nothing is
                                  evil, but THEIR thinking makes it so." And yet, this thinking is not
                                  exclusively THEIR thinking, is it?

                                  How it Plays out for you is that, "nothing is bad, but THEIR thinking
                                  makes it so." So why don't they think about better things--the power
                                  of positive thinking?

                                  And yet look at the evidence of our thinking--even your own mind must
                                  contend with an unavoidable evil within its walls, even if only to
                                  contend with the thoughts of other. Even if only to say, "ah, that's
                                  evil over there and there and there, and here's goodness over here."

                                  You are compelled to be discerning and make distinctions, and these
                                  distinctions define your own definition of love.

                                  So why not discern love in a fully conscious fashion? Wouldn't this
                                  be a better love? A fuller love?

                                  So why pretend to remove such challenges to your notions of love,
                                  especially within a field of thought from which they cannot be
                                  removed, and in fact, must exist as the very material with which you
                                  scrape away to sculpt your cognitive statue of love?

                                  This isn't to say that you should welcome evil, but it can hardly be
                                  avoided, or rather, the archontic forces of evil can only be avoided
                                  via the highly difficult process of developing fuller awareness.
                                  Otherwise, without acknowledging this reality we'll bump into a lot
                                  of ostensibly evil things that will not only disappoint us, but worse
                                  still, keep us ignorant.

                                  Internal inconsistency is a hallmark of such a frame of mind,
                                  precisely because it is unwilling to confront and reconcile those
                                  things that exist BEYOND the thinking that makes them so--that is,
                                  the objective psychoid facts of reality vs. a personal psychological
                                  facts of mind.

                                  Those who do confront these realities enevitably come to realize that
                                  the good is never altogether good and the evil never altogether evil,
                                  at least in this world.

                                  Better to realize that sooner than later, so as to move beyond it
                                  sooner than later--to move to the fullness of which Gnostics speak.
                                  But the only way to do so is through uncompromising consciousness,
                                  regardless of the discomfort.

                                • Rob Thompson
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 8, 2002

                                    I hate to butt in but is the difference to believe is something based on fact but still has a leap of faith involved, where to know is a idea based solely on fact or something that we can prove. From example... Fred believes the Gospel of Thomas to be the true word based on the idea that it is one of the oldest Christian documents, or I know the Gospel of Thomas is one of the oldest Christian documents.

                                    Rob

                                    Do You Yahoo!?

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 9, 2002
                                      Hey AZ, you ask...

                                      >2 simple questions. First. I see the difference between "to believe"
                                      and "to know" is fundumental for you. Can you articulate this in more
                                      details. What does it mean - "to know"? What does it mean - "to
                                      believe"? Where is difference?<

                                      In the Gnostic system, the difference between believing (pistis
                                      [faith]) and knowing "gnosis" is fundemental (after all, it
                                      is "Gnosticism" not "Pisticism")

                                      One "knows" through a system of experience and critical perspective.
                                      How for instance do you "know" that you are reading my message on a
                                      computer message board? Belief on the other hand is only necessary
                                      when we chose to maintain an idea despite the lack of enough evidence
                                      or logic to give us reason to hold the idea in question. It doesn't
                                      mean the belief is wrong, just that we draw a destinction on how the
                                      conclusion should be reached.

                                      >Second. What is the difference between "esoteric path" and "inner
                                      path"? What is it - "esoteric path"? <

                                      Esotericism literally referes to an initiatory process, though that
                                      may be expressed in many forms and is certainly an "inner" process as
                                      well. However, "inner path" is a very general destinction for any
                                      kind of self examination, whereas "esoteric" referes to a more
                                      specific and methodological approach, generally via a initiatory
                                      system (alchemy for instance, or Freemasonry, Hermeticism, Kabbalah,
                                      or of course Gnosticism.)

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 9, 2002
                                        ZELITCHENK (#5997)
                                        >>2 simple questions. First. I see the difference between "to
                                        believe" and "to know" is fundumental for you. Can you articulate
                                        this in more details. What does it mean - "to know"? What does it
                                        mean - "to believe"? Where is difference?<<

                                        Hello, AZ. I've only had time to scan your book briefly so far.
                                        Thank you for sharing your efforts. In addition to previous comments
                                        from PMCV and Rob, I'd like to offer a link to an article that
                                        discusses "faith" vs. "gnosis" from a Valentinian perspective. I
                                        noticed in "Conversation 1" of your book, the "Teacher" says, "Man
                                        has three bodies: a spiritual one, a mental one and a physical one."
                                        Gnostics also recognized tripartite nature of humans, the hyle,
                                        psyche, and pneuma.

                                        http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/gnosis.htm

                                        >>Second. What is the difference between "esoteric path" and "inner
                                        path"? What is it - "esoteric path"?<<

                                        Esoteric traditions as described by PMCV are often distinguished
                                        from "exoteric" paths. Richard Smoley and Jay Kinney in their book
                                        about Western esoteric traditions, _Hidden Wisdom_, write, "Esoteric
                                        spirituality is often contrasted with _exoteric_ spirituality or
                                        _religion_, which constitutes the more outward forms of belief and
                                        practice. […] Esoteric traditions are concerned with
                                        _transcendence_, chiefly of oneself." (p. xiv)

                                        AZ, I don't know if you're familiar with the now defunct _Gnosis_
                                        magazine. Smoley and Kinney were editors of this excellent "Journal
                                        of the Western Inner Traditions." An entire issue was devoted
                                        to "Esoteric Spirituality," (Spring, 1988).
                                        http://www.lumen.org/issue_contents/contents07.html

                                        Cari
                                      • ZELITCHENK
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 11, 2002
                                          Thanks.

                                          I do not want to go in details (I did this in book -
                                          www.geocities.com/zelitchenk - Conversations 2-3), but I want to fix
                                          2 important moments you wrote about. First. The "to know" means to
                                          get experience - not only words (idea). To know something is to
                                          experience this "something". I think (I know) - this is most
                                          important in gnosticism.

                                          Second. If you do not mean historico-cultural investigation of the
                                          procedures of initiation in different "schools" (it would be very
                                          difficult if resolved at all problem, which in my taste is rather
                                          meaningless also), then the esoteric path is inner path of somebody
                                          who become Initiates. On the other hand, the phases of any inner
                                          path, when the person breaks through to something new (for himself,
                                          of course) are esoteric (for this person).

                                          Agree?
                                          AZ

                                        • arose607@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 13, 2002

                                            No, you misunderstand. In fact, I run a club solely on the subject of
                                            love and compassion in esoteric practice

                                            Oh, could I have an invite?

                                            Annalee :0)
                                            arose607@...
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 13, 2002
                                              Why sure Ms Annalee, let me post it here for the club so that anyone
                                              who wishes can join.

                                              This club is specifically about the love forms in 11th - 13th century
                                              esoteric practice connected to the courts of love. In other words,
                                              the scope is very specific in some ways. However, we do talk about
                                              Gnosticism (we draw the connection due to the Platonist origin of
                                              both, and it seems valid to gain insight as to how such movements
                                              come about by examining Gnosticism and the surprizing correlations
                                              that can be seen in some of the more experientialist versions we
                                              see... such as Monoimos, Carpocrates, etc.)

                                              Anyways, The club is meant primarily to deal with romantic (erotic)
                                              tones in the fin amore via the scala amoris of certain troubadours.