Re: Thomasine Metaphor

  • play_nice_now
    Message 1 of 29 , May 13, 2002
      Seemingly contradictory eh? But then again, so are many
      Logions in this Gospel. Probably because these Logions, or
      sayings, are quotes taken out of context.

      How should a reader approach understanding the Gospel of
      Thomas? What is it's purpose? What is it's message? What is it
      trying to do exactly?

      peace,
      play

      > So, back to Gospel of Thomas ~
      >
      > Logion 16: Jesus said, "People probably think that it is peace
      that
      > I have come to impose upon the world. And they do not
      recognize that
      > it is divisions that I have come to impose upon the earth – fire,
      > sword, battle. . ."
      >
      > Logion 90: Jesus said, "Come (plur.) to me, for my yoke is
      easy (to
      > use) and my lordship is mild, and you find repose for
      yourselves."

      > Hmmm, . . . thoughts anyone?
      >
      > Cari
    • wilbro99
      Message 2 of 29 , May 14, 2002
        --- In gnosticism2@y..., "play_nice_now" <searay@b...> wrote:
        > Seemingly contradictory eh? But then again, so are many
        > Logions in this Gospel. Probably because these Logions, or
        > sayings, are quotes taken out of context.
        >
        > How should a reader approach understanding the Gospel of
        > Thomas? What is it's purpose? What is it's message? What is it
        > trying to do exactly?
        >
        > peace,
        > play

        As I read through the GoT, #3 caught my attention. The meshing of
        living in poverty and being the poverty tells me that knowing oneself
        is a change in being, or, as I would have it, a shift in one's sense
        of self. As to what poverty is, I was immediately reminded of a two
        quotes (see below) I had archived. The poverty is the hunger of desire
        that drives the discontented to seek contentment (shades of the Buddha
        and the four noble truths), in a word, the seeker. There is a movement
        out of "poverty." As to how one then describes that which remains and
        that which no longer is is still a matter of description. I would have
        it that that which no longer is is the error and to no longer be in
        error is to be in the truth. The truth does not need to be defined,
        although it is well within the realm of poesy. As to defining what the
        error is, if that description reifies itself by ascribing the error to
        the act of a God, thus bringing into being a God, I would say that
        the error has reestablished itself in spades.

        #3.. When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will
        understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do
        not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the
        poverty."

        "For this is the nature of one that has desires, that he is ever
        discontented and dissatisfied, like one that suffers hunger; for what
        has the hunger which all the creatures suffer to do with the fullness
        which is caused by the Spirit of God? Wherefore this fullness that is
        uncreated cannot enter the soul, if there be not first cast out that
        other created hunger which belongs to the desire of the soul; for, as
        we have said two contraries cannot dwell in one person, the which
        contraries in this case are hunger and fullness." (St. John of the
        Cross, Ascent of Mount Carmel, Chapter VI 3)

        "What did I find? Not my 'I', for that is what I was in that way to
        find (I imagined, if I may put it so, my soul shut up in a box with a
        spring lock in front, which the outside surroundings would release by
        pressing the spring). - So the first thing to be resolved was this
        search for and discovery of the Kingdom of Heaven. A person would no
        more want to decide the externals first and the fundamentals
        afterwards than a heavenly body about to form itself would decide
        first of all about its surface, about which bodies it should turn its
        light side to and to which its dark side, without first letting the
        harmony of centrifugal and centripetal forces bring it into being and
        letting the rest develop by itself. One must first learn to know
        oneself before knowing anything else, (_gnothi seauton_). Only when
        the person has inwardly understood and then sees the course forward
        from the path he is to take, does his life acquire repose and meaning;
        only then is he free of that irksome, fateful traveling companion -
        that life's irony which appears in the sphere of knowledge and bids
        true knowing begin with a not-knowing (Socrates), just as God created
        the world from nothing." (Kierkegaard, Papers & Journals, Hannay, pp.
        34-35) (Papers, 1 August 35 I A 75)

        Message 3 of 29 , May 15, 2002
          Hello, Play and Will. :-)

          Play, it's true that the Gospel of Thomas sayings are not presented
          in a neat biographical setting such as found in the biblical
          gospels.

          From the introduction to the GTh in Bentley Layton's _The Gnostic
          Scriptures_ (p. 376) ~
          "Historical framework is irrelevant to the message of GTh, for the
          salvation that it proclaims is not the future reign of god on earth,
          to be ushered in by a messiah, but rather the recognition of one's
          true nature and acquaintance with oneself, leading to immediate
          repose and rendering `death' (i.e. the realm of human affairs)
          trivial, `The kingdom is inside of you …. When you become acquainted
          with yourselves … you will understand that it is you who are children
          of the living father.' Jesus' suffering, death, and resurrection are
          not discussed in GTh; his role here is purely that of a teacher of
          wisdom."

          Will addresses this theme in his post #5872.

          Reading through the passages you offered, Will, I was struck by terms
          that are used quite frequently also in Gnostic scripture, such
          as, "fullness" ("Pleroma") and "repose." You likewise
          mention "error." ~ "I would have it that that which no longer is is
          the error and to no longer be in error is to be in the truth."

          If you haven't already, Will, I would recommend reading the
          Valentinian "Gospel of Truth" which goes directly to this issue. Here
          is an online version (although I personally prefer Bentley Layton's
          translation in _The Gnostic Scriptures_):
          http://gnosis.org/naghamm/got.html

          Speaking of terminology, what do you mean by "God" when you say, "As
          to defining what the error is, if that description reifies itself by
          ascribing the error to the act of a God, thus bringing into being a
          God, I would say that the error has reestablished itself in spades."
          Do you see any difference between your usage of the term, "God," and
          the understanding of "God" or "Father" used in the quotes you
          furnished?

          Cari
        • wilbro99
          Message 4 of 29 , May 15, 2002
            cari, shark-lady, second installment.

            I have read the Gospel of Truth and, although I am no scholar in these
            matters, it seems to me that the "error" being spoken to is much along
            the line of the Socratic notion of "Recollection," where the truth is
            covered by ignorance and what one finds is the "divine spark," as it
            were. If I am mixing things up, I plead ignorance. I can take what I
            mean by "error" and see how it could be described in those terms
            because it takes a revelation to reveal it. That revelation is given
            by its absence. There is repose where before was no repose and it is
            obvious that what no longer is was the factor of no-repose; i.e., the
            factor of disturbance.

            There is a movement from no-repose to repose and in that movement,
            something that was no longer is and is revealed as the cause of
            no-repose. Then, when repose comes to an end, where there is a
            recognition of no-repose, the cause may be seen and negated, returning
            one to repose. The error, as I see it, is a temporal taking of oneself
            as oneself, where one thinks self in terms of time, and in thinking of
            self in terms of time, creates that temporal identity.

            "Coming to know the Father" is the movement to repose through the
            negation of that which causes no-repose. Because that which comes to
            an end is the temporal, that which remains is the presential, and is
            full of presence. If the Father is the Eternal, that reading of the
            shift would naturally follow. The knowing that comes into being is of
            another order, and the term self-knowing easily applies. Yes, it has
            the sense of unity about it, especially coming from a self divided
            into a past, a present, and a future. As I move down through the GoT,
            it is easy for me to read what I know into it. I see it as only
            another metaphor for that movement from error. And that brings me to
            God.

            St. John and his Via Negative speaks to God as being the fullness and
            as having nothing to do with the error. If I remember correctly, in
            the Gnostic system, that error was created by a God. That creation is
            what I was referring to. In the system, even if the error is negated,
            that God still remains as the creator of it. Kierkegaard speaks
            directly about self-knowing coming before anything else. He speaks
            elsewhere about the necessity for one coming into presence with
            oneself before the presence of God can be. Again, the error is man's
            doing, and is the grasping of oneself as temporal.

            Message 5 of 29 , May 16, 2002
              Willy-Whale, no need to plead ignorance at all. I'm certainly no
              Gnostic scholar either (lol), but I agree with much of what you have
              written. Besides, there is commonly much variance of opinion in the
              scholarly community.

              Some of your comments tie in nicely to the Gospel of Thomas:

              "There is a movement from no-repose to repose and in that movement,
              something that was no longer is and is revealed as the cause of no-
              repose. Then, when repose comes to an end, where there is a
              recognition of no-repose, the cause may be seen and negated,
              returning one to repose." (Will)
              and from GTh, Logion 50 ~ "… If they ask you, `What is the sign of
              your father within you?' say to them, 'It is movement and repose.'"

              "Kierkegaard speaks directly about self-knowing coming before
              anything else. He speaks elsewhere about the necessity for one coming
              into presence with oneself before the presence of God can be." (Will)
              and from GTh, Logion 70 ~ "Jesus said, `If you (plur.) produce what
              is in you, what you have will save you. If you do not have what is
              in you, what you do not have [will] kill you.'"

              "The error, as I see it, is a temporal taking of oneself as oneself,
              where one thinks self in terms of time, and in thinking of self in
              terms of time, creates that temporal identity." (Will)

              One might view error to include thinking of oneself in terms of time,
              and also by extension observing oneself in only physical and/or
              psychological terms. Important is that spiritual awakening is not
              dependent on some "future" event or resurrection.

              Logion 113 ~ His disciples said to him, "When is the kingdom going to
              come?" (Jesus said), "It is not by being waited for that it is going
              to come. They are not going to say, `Here it is' or `There it is.'
              Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out over the earth, and
              people do not see it."

              Logion 51 ~ . . . He said to them, "That (repose) which you (plur.)
              are waiting for has come, but for your part you do not recognize it."

              Seeking and finding, a re-cognition or "recollection," getting in
              touch with the divine spark within that you mention, Will, is indeed
              necessary to transcend our physical existence and all its
              concomitant "disturbance." The "revelation," which awakens us
              from "ignorance," allows us to continue our experiential paths in
              this earthly existence in a practical sense with a new sense of
              self.

              Now, regarding your comments on "God" ~

              "St. John and his Via Negative speaks to God as being the fullness
              and as having nothing to do with the error." (Will)

              I recall that Terje offered an excellent discussion of "Via Negativa"
              in his Message #5810. And for discussion of "error" within a
              Valentinian perspective, you might find the following piece
              interesting: http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/error.htm This also
              addresses your following comment: "If I remember correctly, in the
              Gnostic system, that error was created by a God." Well, there is not
              just one "Gnostic system," and there are certainly various opinions
              on whether the mythological "demiurge" was directly responsible
              for "error," especially in connection with the meaning of "error" in
              the Gospel of Truth. For discussion of "demiurge" (NOT to be
              confused with the "True God") I recommend:
              http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/demiurge.htm

              Nonetheless, your comment, "Again, the error is man's doing, and is
              the grasping of oneself as temporal" might just elicit some hand
              waving from Gnostics. To be sure, other religions might view error
              as man's fault (for instance, a concept of "original sin" such as
              seen in orthodox Christianity), but Gnostics as seen through their
              mythology generally view humans as a product of the error that
              already has occurred. *Sustaining* the error might be man's doing,
              however, and humans ARE individually responsible for seeking and
              finding the divine spark within themselves and awakening from
              the "sin" of ignorance. Even upon "awakening" humans still live in a
              physical existence that is flawed, but they approach life with a new
              sense of self and the True God vs. a "creator god."

              Logion 28 ~ Jesus said, "I stood at rest in the midst of the world.
              And unto them I was shown forth incarnate; I found them all
              intoxicated. And I found none of them thirsty. And my soul was
              pained for the children of humankind, for they are blind in their
              hearts and cannot see. For, empty did they enter the world, and
              again empty they seek to leave the world. But now they are
              intoxicated. When they shake off their wine then they will have a
              change of heart."

              Well, I certainly have gone on here long enough, MobyWilly. LOL I
              think I'll grab a cup of coffee to "shake off" my morning stupor.

              Cari
            • play_nice_now
              Message 6 of 29 , May 16, 2002
                Interesting conversation Will and my lady Caritas.

                So then, the kingdom is already "here" and now. Always has been.
                Always will be. Why do you guys think that no one sees it or
                experiences it in that way? From the gnostic point of view, is
                knowing this just a matter of making the decision to know it or
                remember it again? If so, what stops us from making that decision?
                What are we afraid of?

                By the way this idea of the kingdom of God being placed here and now,
                within us and outside us, is taught in many of the Earth's religions
                and philosophies. Please excuse the length of this post but you all
                may find this kind of interesting in the interest of gaining
                knowledge. Here are some quotes:

                These passages describe the human being as a microcosm of the
                universe, having the essences of all things in him- or herself. As
                the microcosm, human beings have the foundation to know, use, and
                enjoy all things. Of all creatures, humans have the widest scope of
                thought and action, encompassing all things, knowing and appreciating
                all things, guiding and prospering all things, and transcending all
                things.

                All that the Holy One created in the world He created in man.

                1. Judaism. Talmud, Abot de Rabbi Nathan 31

                We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in themselves, till
                it is clear to them that it is the truth.

                2. Islam. Qur'an 41.53

                One who knows the inner self knows the external world as well. One
                who knows the external world knows the inner self as well.

                3. Jainism. Acarangasutra 1.147

                The whole of existence arises in me,
                In me arises the threefold world,
                By me pervaded is this all,
                Of naught else does this world consist.

                4. Buddhism. Hevajra Tantra 8.41

                The illimitable Void of the universe is capable of holding myriads of
                things of various shape and form, such as the sun, the moon, stars,
                mountains, rivers, worlds, springs, rivulets, bushes, woods, good
                men, bad men, dharmas pertaining to goodness or badness, deva planes,
                hells, great oceans, and all the mountains of the Mahameru. Space
                takes in all these, and so does the voidness of our nature. We say
                that the Essence of Mind is great because it embraces all things,
                since all things are within our nature.

                5. Buddhism. Sutra of Hui Neng 2

                ----------
                Abot de Rabbi Nathan 31: Cf. Berakot 10a, p. 211. Hevajra Tantra
                8.41: Cf. Samyutta Nikaya i.62, p. 679.

                ----------

                Man is the product of the attributes of Heaven and Earth, by the
                interaction of the dual forces of nature, the union of the animal and
                intelligent souls, and the finest subtle matter of the five elements.

                Heaven exercises the control of the strong and light force, and hangs
                out the sun and stars. Earth exercises the control of the dark and
                weaker force, and gives vent to it in the hills and streams. The five
                elements are distributed through the four seasons, and it is by their
                harmonious action that the moon is produced, which therefore keeps
                waxing for fifteen days and waning for fifteen. The five elements in
                their movements alternately displace and exhaust one another. Each
                one of them, in the revolving course of the twelve months of the four
                seasons, comes to be in its turn the fundamental one for the time.

                The five notes of harmony, with their six upper musical accords, and
                the twelve pitch-tubes, come each, in their revolutions among
                themselves, to be the first note of the scale.

                The five flavors, with the six condiments, and the twelve articles of
                diet, come each one, in their revolutions in the course of the year,
                to give its character to the food.

                The five colors, with the six elegant figures, which they form on the
                two robes, come each one, in their revolutions among themselves, to
                give the character of the dress that is worn.

                Therefore Man is the heart and mind of Heaven and Earth, and the
                visible embodiment of the five elements. He lives in the enjoyment of
                all flavors, the discriminating of all notes of harmony, and the
                enrobing of all colors.

                6. Confucianism. Book of Ritual 7.3.1-7

                In the beginning the Self alone was here--no other thing that blinks
                the eye at all. He thought, "What if I were to emanate worlds?"

                He emanated these worlds, water, rays of light, death, the waters.
                Water is up there beyond the sky; the sky supports it. The rays of
                light are the atmosphere; death the earth; what is underneath, the
                waters.

                He thought again, "Here now are these worlds. What if I were to
                emanate guardians?" He raised a Man (Purusha) up from the water and
                gave him a form.

                He brooded over him; when he had finished brooding over him, a mouth
                broke open on him the likeness of an egg. From the mouth came speech
                and from speech Fire.

                Nostrils broke open, from the nostrils came breath, from breath the
                Wind.

                Eyes broke open, from the eyes came sight, from sight the Sun.

                Ears broke open, from the ears came hearing, from hearing the Points
                of the Compass.

                Skin broke out, from skin grew hairs, from the hairs plants and trees.

                A heart broke out, from the heart came mind, from the mind the Moon.

                A navel broke open, from the navel came the out-breath, from the out-
                breath Death.

                A phallus broke forth, from the phallus came semen, from semen
                Water....

                Those deities [the macrocosmic beings], Fire and the rest, after they
                had been sent forth, fell into the great ocean. Then he [the Self]
                besieged him [the Purusha] with hunger and thirst. The deities then
                spoke to him, "Allow us a place in which we may rest and take food."

                He led a cow towards them. They said, "This is not enough." He led a
                horse towards them. They said, "This is not enough." He led man
                towards them. Then they said, "Well done, indeed." Therefore man is
                well done. He said to them, "Enter the man, each according to his
                place."

                Then fire, having become speech, entered the mouth; the wind, having
                become breath, entered the nostrils; the sun, having become sight,
                entered the eyes; the regions, having become hearing, entered the
                ears; the plants and trees, having become hairs, entered the skin;
                the moon, having become mind, entered the heart; death, having become
                out-breathing, entered the navel; water, having become semen, entered
                the phallus....

                The Self considered, "How could these guardians exist without me?"

                Again he thought, "By what way shall I enter them?

                "If, without me, speech is uttered, breath is drawn, eye sees, ear
                hears, skin feels, mind thinks, sex organs procreate, then what am
                I?"

                He thought, "Let me enter the guardians." Whereupon, opening the
                center of their skulls, he entered. The door by which he entered is
                called the door of bliss.

                7. Hinduism. Aitareya Upanishad 1.1-3.12

                ----------
                Book of Ritual 7.3.1-7: Cf. Gleanings from the Writings of
                Baha'u'llah 27, p. 311.

                ----------

                Each man is a microcosm of the universe. Your body is made of all the
                elements of the world. Nature supplied all the ingredients that make
                your body, which means that the universe made you by donating itself.
                If nature demanded that you refund everything that nature loaned you,
                would there be anything left of you? You can feel that the universe
                gave you birth and made you, so nature is your first parent. Do you
                feel good that you are a microcosm of the universe? All the universal
                formulas can be found in you. You could accurately say that you are a
                small walking universe that can move, whereas the cosmic universe is
                stationary. Because you can move and act, you can govern the
                universe. The universe would want you to exercise dominion over it,
                so your first duty would be to love nature. Then, wherever you are,
                you can love the creation and appreciate it.

                8. Unification Church. Sun Myung Moon, 9-30-79

                ----------
                Aitareya Upanishad 1.1-3.12: Vv. 1.1-4, 2.1-4, 3.11-12. The Purusha
                formed at the beginning of creation is the macrocosmic Person; his
                parts are then invested in man, the microcosm. Likewise, Hindu
                temples are built on the pattern of the human body: see Vacana 820,
                p. 211. For other accounts of creation out of the macrocosmic Person,
                cf. Rig Veda 10.90.6-16, pp. 868f. Mundaka Upanishad 1.1.7-9, p. 132;
                Okanagan Creation, p. 298. Sun Myung Moon, 9-30-79: Cf. Gleanings

                Message 7 of 29 , May 16, 2002
                  Lady C, we have much work to do here. Here is what I see happening. I
                  see some of the Gnostic scheme of things speaking to what I know, but
                  using metaphorical terms. When I cast what I know in my own terms, you
                  translate it back into those metaphorical terms. At that point, we may
                  be speaking about the same thing. We had a long discussion to that
                  point, both by Email and in that other group, that puts us fairly well
                  in the same ballpark; there is a necessary transition that brings
                  another way of knowing into being. A metaphorical system may be seen
                  as pointing to such a transition, but that fact can only be known
                  after the transition has come into being. That same metaphorical
                  system can also be interpreted in a before-transition way. The
                  difference between the before and after understanding gleaned from the
                  system is incommensurable. This is key to my scheme of things; the
                  before view and the after view of the same metaphorical system are
                  separated by a necessary transition in the one who holds the view, and
                  since those views are incommensurable one with the other, the
                  transition represents a discontinuity in one's sense of self. Bear
                  with me here and I will try to connect all of this into a whole.

                  From: http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/error.htm

                  "The identity of lack and error is supported in many passages where
                  the two seem to be used interchangeably. Error arises because the
                  Aeons did not know the Father. They "accepted error" because of the
                  Father's "depth" i.e. his unknowability (22:20f). Similarly , "lack
                  came into being because the Father was not known" (24:28-32). Both
                  "error" and "lack" are described as coming into being because the
                  Aeons did not know the Father. Surely this is no coincidence…"

                  I am equating the Error with the before-transition sense of self and
                  the absence of the error to the after-transition sense of self. When
                  they say the Error is equivalent to "not knowing the Father," they are
                  saying that "not knowing the Father" is the same as being in Error. I
                  take that as a metaphor. Not being in Error does have a sense of
                  fullness about it that being in Error does not. I can see how the
                  sensation of the transition could be seen as "being at one with." I
                  say there is no Father to be known, no kingdom of God, other than as a
                  way of describing the sensational aspect of it. Of course, I am taking
                  your notion of "spiritual' out of it except as a metaphorical term for
                  the utterly new sense of self. I will accept the term as separating
                  the before and after, but only as signifying the separation. And here,
                  in the next paragraph from the site, the before and after is separated
                  by ascribing the before to the world of matter and the after to the
                  other world, the spiritual.

                  "According to the "creation tale," the material realm is in some
                  manner is intimately associated with error. According to the text, it
                  is "her (i.e. error's) matter" (17:16f). Elsewhere the text describes
                  how "the realm of appearance which belongs to the lack is the world"
                  (24:22-24). Thus the material realm is said to belong to both error
                  and lack further supporting the hypothesis that the two are
                  interchangeable. There is further confirmation of this from elsewhere
                  in the text. According to one passage, "the lack belonging to the
                  realm of matter did not result from the infinity of the
                  Father...rather the Father's Depth is immense and it is not with him
                  that the thought of error resides"(35:8-18). Note that the "lack
                  belonging to the realm of matter" is described as the "thought of
                  error." Again note the intimate association of matter, error and lack.
                  In a notable parallel, the teacher Theodotus speaks of the realm of
                  matter as "the thought of the deficiency" (Excepts of Theodotus 22:7).
                  As is normal in Valentinian thought, the Gospel of Truth describes an
                  intimate association between matter and lack. What is is noteworthy
                  that the same intimate relationship is said to exist between matter
                  and error."

                  All of that to get to this point. I said, "The error, as I see it, is
                  a temporal taking of oneself as oneself, where one thinks self in
                  terms of time, and in thinking of self in terms of time, creates that
                  temporal identity."

                  You replied, "One might view error to include thinking of oneself in
                  terms of time, and also by extension observing oneself in only
                  physical and/or psychological terms. Important is that spiritual
                  awakening is not dependent on some "future" event or resurrection."

                  Your addition of physical and/or psychological terms to my view of
                  Error, as a necessary addition, changes my view into a view other than
                  mine, one corresponding to the quote above. However, in adding the
                  fact that "spiritual awakening" is not something for the future, you
                  have moved it somewhat back into my view. The reason I raise this as I
                  do is twofold; firstly to make the point and secondly to segue to
                  Play's response and questions of #5876, in response to which I will
                  continue this point.

                • wilbro99
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 16, 2002
                    --- In gnosticism2@y..., "play_nice_now" <searay@b...> wrote:
                    > Interesting conversation Will and my lady Caritas.
                    >
                    > So then, the kingdom is already "here" and now. Always has been.
                    > Always will be. Why do you guys think that no one sees it or
                    > experiences it in that way? From the gnostic point of view, is
                    > knowing this just a matter of making the decision to know it or
                    > remember it again? If so, what stops us from making that decision?
                    > What are we afraid of?

                    Play, I think you have drawn the wrong conclusion about my view of
                    this from what Lady C has said. I see no kingdom that is always
                    already here. I think that notion derives from the ending of the
                    temporal view of the self, and can only derive from it as a metaphor.
                    What is then known is not the kingdom, but the end of the temporal
                    sense of self, the Error. That is all that is known; the rest is the
                    unknown. The unknown can not be known by the decision to know it, for
                    when it is known, that decision maker no longer is. The notion of
                    remembering it again implies a past forgetting and a future
                    remembering, and when it is known, there is no past nor any future.
                    The self that is looking for it is what stops it from being. Anyway,
                    all I have been doing here is translating before terms into after
                    terms to continue the point I was making in my response to Lady C. My
                    question remains: Are we looking at the same thing?
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 16, 2002
                      Play, thank you for your research (Message #5876). Just some
                      observations~

                      You say, "These passages describe the human being as a microcosm of
                      the universe, having the essences of all things in him- or herself.
                      As the microcosm, human beings have the foundation to know, use, and
                      enjoy all things. Of all creatures, humans have the widest scope of
                      thought and action, encompassing all things, knowing and appreciating
                      all things, guiding and prospering all things, and transcending all
                      things.

                      All that the Holy One created in the world He created in man."

                      A Gnostic interpretation of "the Holy One" who is the creator of the
                      world would be the Demiurge of Gnostic mythology, not the True God or
                      Bythos (the Ineffable Infinite). The material universe is limited by
                      its physicality as we are also in our human state.

                      An important observation you made was that humans are capable
                      of "transcending all things." That's the point here. Humans who
                      become aware of the spiritual kingdom of the living father (not the
                      demiurge) are able to transcend the "fog" of the material world. Oh,
                      and this fog is very deceiving. That is why many feel that we are
                      not always capable of awakening from our blindness ("sleep") to
                      become aware of Gnosis without the assistance of a "savior" in
                      addition to our own efforts. "Jesus said, `[…] I found them all
                      intoxicated…'" (GTh, #28)

                      Our "first duty" would not be to "love nature" or "love the
                      creation." "Jesus said, `Whoever has become acquainted with the
                      world has found a corpse …'" (GTh, #56) IOW, the material world is
                      not the kingdom. Matter is equated with error. A flower might be
                      beautiful and serve as a trigger for a spiritual epiphany, but the
                      physical flower will eventually decay in this flawed world. We
                      cannot know the Ineffable Infinite completely while in this physical
                      state, or, as Will points out, we would cease to "be." However, we
                      _can_ become acquainted with the True God by means of images
                      reflected through our human conceptual filters. And this will serve
                      as a segue to my reply to Will . . .

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 16, 2002
                        Ah, Will, I am in total agreement with you (Message #5877) until we
                        get to your explanations of quotes from the article on "error."

                        In answer to your question, "Are we looking at the same thing?"
                        (#5878), I would venture to posit that we possibly are, but that we
                        are interpreting it differently.

                        So, Will, you have confused me. Don't worry. I confuse easily.
                        LOL If you view thinking of oneself in terms of time as "error," and
                        if after a shift in the sense of one's self, you obviously remain a
                        human physically, do you still wear a watch? How does a human ever
                        completely escape our space/time continuum? "Time" may very well be
                        an illusion, but even in your description of this process, you can't
                        escape describing it in terms of "before" and "after." You see, even
                        using a term like "eternal" indicates infinite "duration"
                        (or "continuance in time").

                        You say, "What is then known is not the kingdom, but the end of the
                        temporal sense of self, the Error. That is all that is known; the
                        rest is the unknown." So, Willy, if you have experienced the end of
                        the temporal sense of yourself, where on earth _are_ you?

                        Okay, okay, I'm toying with you. But I do have a point, . . . I
                        think. :-)

                        I describe the old sense of self as certainly having temporal aspects
                        and because of that only viewing the world in physical and possibly
                        psychological terms. A "god" or even a definition of "spirituality"
                        would in essence still be a psychological extension of the self
                        because the shift in sense of self with a truly pneumatic
                        understanding has not occurred. You describe this shift in
                        understanding when you say, "A metaphorical system may be seen as
                        pointing to such a transition, but that fact can only be known after
                        the transition has come into being. That same metaphorical system can
                        also be interpreted in a before-transition way. The difference
                        between the before and after understanding gleaned from the system is
                        incommensurable. This is key to my scheme of things; the before view
                        and the after view of the same metaphorical system are separated by a
                        necessary transition in the one who holds the view, and since those
                        views are incommensurable one with the other, the transition
                        represents a discontinuity in one's sense of self."

                        So, you accept the term "spiritual" only in reference to the
                        transitional stage. "Ascribing the before to the world of matter and
                        the after to the other world, the spiritual" is not your
                        interpretation.

                        Let's attempt to examine why.

                        Perhaps your definition of "spiritual" differs from mine. You said
                        that you could "see how the sensation of the transition could be seen
                        as `being at one with.'" Yes, the mystical experience might be
                        interpreted as such. However, we can conjecture that if we are
                        _truly_ one with the Prime Source we might cease to "be." And, well,
                        that hasn't happened yet, has it? LOL We either come back to the
                        old self and repeatedly try to recreate the "at-one" sensation or we
                        move through the transition, taking our new understanding to a new
                        sense of self.

                        Now at this point, you, Willy, seem to be in "unknown" territory, but
                        you sense a "fullness" and repose you did not experience in the old
                        self. I describe this as the spiritual realm. And, I don't view God
                        as an anthropomorphic, psychological projection, but rather, as I
                        have described before, I experience an Ineffable Infinite through my
                        new sense of self. At the same time, I am still human. So, I cannot
                        completely know the Infinite in my present finite state. There is
                        movement and repose as I gain acquaintance of this divinity,
                        this "kingdom."

                        "…But the kingdom is inside of you. And it is outside of you."
                        (GTh, #3) Why? Can there be an objective Truth that exists "before"
                        as well as "after" my shift of awareness? Are we awakening from our
                        sleep to a kingdom that was already there? I would
                        speculate,. . .yes, .. simply because I am not the only one who has
                        experienced this, after the shift in sense of self. This "presence"
                        I interpret as the divine, a sort of pneumatic glue that connects the
                        divine sparks in us all. And, this is not the same as devising some
                        Object as a projection upon returning to a temporal sense of self.

                        So, we come back to earth and relate in a practical way with
                        the "fullness" of our new sails that keep us afloat as we journey
                        through the temporal waters.

                        Don't know if I've made any sense here. It's late. LOL

                        Sharklady
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 17, 2002

                          Reply to Wilbro’s message #5878:

                          I, too, think we’re talking about the same thing here, albeit from different perspectives.  If I may offer my 2¢, Will, here’s where I think you lost me:

                          >>I see no kingdom that is always already here. I think that notion derives from the ending of the temporal view of the self, and can only derive from it as a metaphor. What is then known is not the kingdom, but the end of the temporal sense of self, the Error. That is all that is known; the rest is the unknown....  The notion of remembering it again implies a past forgetting and a future remembering, and when it is known, there is no past nor any future.<<

                          And yet, as Cari pointed out, we still reside in a temporal world—how our perceptions alter our views within this temporality need not affect the objective Truth.

                          I guess what is puzzling me is that you seem to be referring to a 2-step transition from un-knowing to knowing, while perhaps I’ve taken it as a given that the original state was already one of knowing, i.e., knowing, forgetting, and then remembering.  True, that implies past and future, but only on the part of the knower—not that which is known.

                          >>"The error, as I see it, is a temporal taking of oneself as oneself, where one thinks self in terms of time, and in thinking of self in terms of time, creates that temporal identity."<<

                          Aren’t these identities and manners of thinking in terms of time created for all of us when we come into this world?  It seems to me that all babies want for their own needs to be met.  While we may want to view infants with an innocence that we no longer retain, I don’t equate that with being free from the bounds of our physical natures, or the apparent individuality we each have once expelled from the womb.

                          Whether a conscious or unconscious act by each of us, or the mere result of being born, the fact that something “creates” the temporal identity seems to suggest that there exists a non-temporal identity.

                          Anyway, I hope that wasn’t so short as to muddy the waters even further, but that may be about as much of a reply as I’ll be able to muster ’til I manage to get some projects out of the way.

                          Gerry

                        • wilbro99
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 17, 2002
                            Reply to #5880:

                            The Sharklady disposes: So, we come back to earth and relate in a
                            practical way with the "fullness" of our new sails that keep us afloat
                            as we journey through the temporal waters.

                            That makes perfect sense. I don't think it matters what we make of
                            that Presence so long as it fills our sails. I have had dialogues with
                            others on this shift and we run the gamut on where we come out on it.
                            The two who came to it as Catholics, became eclectic about it. There
                            also seems to be a difference as to whether or not the shift was made
                            at once or began with the empty between. I was first evicted from the
                            temporal sense of self and it took me almost two years of living in
                            emptiness before I found presence. In that sojourn I learned a great
                            deal about that temporal sense of self. I didn't reach the experience
                            of no-self till about ten years down the line. Those who get tossed at
                            once into presence seem to be the ones who think of it in religious
                            terms. Since this reply is so short, let me add some filler.

                            LC: So, Will, you have confused me. Don't worry. I confuse easily.
                            LOL If you view thinking of oneself in terms of time as "error," and
                            if after a shift in the sense of one's self, you obviously remain a
                            human physically, do you still wear a watch? How does a human ever
                            completely escape our space/time continuum? "Time" may very well be an
                            illusion, but even in your description of this process, you can't
                            escape describing it in terms of "before" and "after." You see, even
                            using a term like "eternal" indicates infinite "duration"
                            (or "continuance in time").

                            Simply to say "thinking of oneself in terms of time" does not convey
                            the essence of the temporal identity that thinks in such a way. The
                            implication is that all one need do is think differently, when, in
                            fact, what is required is a shift in one's sense of self, i.e., the
                            identity who does the thinking. Since the one who does the thinking
                            reside in this world, I would suspect a watch is still needed,
                            although I have never worn one. And, of course, any description of a
                            shift must be cast in terms of a before and after, which includes the
                            image of the one who makes the move, and must be understood as being
                            only that, a description.

                            LC: You say, "What is then known is not the kingdom, but the end of
                            the temporal sense of self, the Error. That is all that is known; the
                            rest is the unknown." So, Willy, if you have experienced the end of
                            the temporal sense of yourself, where on earth _are_ you? Okay, okay,
                            I'm toying with you. But I do have a point, . . . I think. :-)

                            Of course, the unknown I was referring to was the "unknown territory"
                            of fullness you referred to later as the place where we part
                            descriptive company. Ok, I must get to the other posts.
                          • wilbro99
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 17, 2002
                              I said: "I see no kingdom that is always already here. I think that
                              notion derives from the ending of the temporal view of the self, and
                              can only derive from it as a metaphor. What is then known is not the
                              kingdom, but the end of the temporal sense of self, the Error. That is
                              all that is known; the rest is the unknown...."

                              My error here was that I knew what I was referring to and did not make
                              that reference clear. When I referred to the unknown, I was thinking
                              only of the presence that ensues from that ending of the temporal
                              sense of self. I was thinking that the notion of an ever present
                              kingdom was a metaphor for that sense of presence, and any attempt to
                              say that it is that is turning that unknown into the known. The next
                              sentence, which you omitted goes like this: "The unknown can not be
                              known by the decision to know it, for when it is known, that decision
                              maker no longer is." I thought that connected to what I meant by the
                              unknown, but since both of you are not mind readers, I guess I goofed.
                              I do not, nor do I see how I can, deny the world I find myself in.
                              Even if what I find myself in is only the "seems" of it, so long as I
                              can make these words come into being by pressing keys on this thing in
                              front of me, that seems to me as if the seems are for real.

                              G: I guess what is puzzling me is that you seem to be referring to a
                              2-step transition from un-knowing to knowing, while perhaps I've taken
                              it as a given that the original state was already one of knowing,
                              i.e., knowing, forgetting, and then remembering. True, that implies
                              past and future, but only on the part of the knower-not that which is
                              known.

                              The notion of having known, forgetting, and remembering is, if I have
                              it straight, the Greek theory of recollection. Under that scheme of
                              it, the loss of the error would be the remembering, the waking up to
                              what had already been known, the wiping away of the
                              fog of forgetfulness, and so on. I have a different scheme, one that
                              derives from my experience of the ending of a temporal sense of self.
                              Now, it may be that there are two different "original states," and
                              that the "original state" as defined by the forgetting of it and
                              remembering of it, which defines the term "original," is not the same
                              as the presence come upon when the temporal sense of self comes to an
                              end, leaving behind a presential sense of self. That is my question. I
                              know only the latter and I think the former is only a way of
                              describing it that ensues from the belief that that is the way it is.
                              I do not believe it so I see it differently.

                              I see it as follows: There is a coming into being of the temporal
                              sense of self because of the ability to remember and identify with a
                              me that things happen to. That identity is the Error. The loss of that
                              identity brings a sense of presence into being that is a new sense of
                              presence, there being no way to remember back through the presence of
                              the error to a before of the error.

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 21, 2002

                                Reply to Play’s message #5905:

                                Frankly, I hardly know where to begin here, but let me try to piece together some comments that have caught my attention.

                                >>[Cari] I have found my path to be Gnostic (or Christian Gnostic).  I don't prefer to be called a "Christian," even though I find Christ to be a soter, because that usually denotes an "orthodox Christian," which I am not.

                                [Play]  Did you mean to say savior?<<

                                Actually, Play, I think Cari fully intended to say “soter” in that statement.  This is, after all, a forum for the discussion of Gnosticism.  Greek terminology just happens to come along with the historical territory of the subject matter at hand.  By using that specific reference (along with noting the obvious context of her comments—there, and in previous posts), I see Cari choosing very carefully to demonstrate that her idea of salvation has nothing to do with such orthodox concepts as vicarious atonement.  This is why I’m baffled that you then proceed to “explain” to her how we all might find salvation within.  To say that you seem to be preaching to the choir would be a gross understatement.  In fact, it might even be more accurate to say that much of your commentary could be construed as a pistic sermon to a Gnostic congregation.

                                >>I want to understand why you think the world is flawed. I don't agree with that notion. That is true. I have read Gerry's discussion and PMCV's and your take on it. I still don't understand and maybe it is because my question still remains unanswered.  Who views "the world" as flawed? Us [humans] or the Prime Source?<<

                                Actually, Play, your question has already been answered.  The latest attempt to clarify that issue for you was by Cari, right before you started patronizing her.  And surely you recall when PMCV elaborated on the correct usage and origin of the “Prime Source.”  To suggest that the Prime Source “views” anything is, in fact, anthropomorphizing the ineffable.

                                If you really read the examples (either hypothetical or anecdotal) in my post, to which Cari referred, and you still don’t understand why we see the world as flawed, then I seriously doubt there is anything else I could say or do to help you understand our point of view.

                                >>The blend between mind, body and spirit has incredible powers over what becomes manifest in our lives… It becomes a matter of what governs the mind more; the needs of the body or of the spirit? The body does not need what  the spirit needs and  vice-versa but each part needs it's own kind of "food" to have health for if one dies or become inbalanced, so does the other.<<  [Play #5907]

                                If this is so, then when the body dies, so does the spirit.  You have described a chain of paper dolls—cut the link between two and the chain falls apart.  For a more Gnostic viewpoint, if you’re interested, you may want to go back and re-read Hey Market’s analogy of the nested dolls.

                                As for following every religion one can name, an important question would be whether one is actually identifying the Prime Source via a shallow exploration of each of those traditions—or simply slapping some universal Happy Face on cross-cultural representations of the demiurge?  While one may find them seemingly similar, the difference is like Day and Night.