Re: [Gnosticism] Perfect Wave or Perfect Storm

  • Al Pinto
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20, 2002
      Reply to Gerry’s message #5839:

      You wrote: "Ya know, Play, that surfing analogy for flawed perception really works for me.  I witness the same thing around here.  While I can relate to the attempt of those who seek a transcendent experience in that way, I have to wonder sometimes what’s actually sifting through those finite filters of our apparent individuality.  Is that brief moment always worth it?"

      I guess I see this like a knife edge in a sense. It is wonderful when it works but could be deadly if it doesn't.

      You wrote: "After one of our more devastating hurricanes several years ago, a couple brothers drove up from Alabama.  Supposedly, they had construction experience and wanted to offer their services in the aftermath of the storm.  Odd, then, how they both ended up dying while trying to surf in a sea that was still raging.  Even more peculiar was why they would have brought surfboards to help rebuild people’s homes!"

      How sad. A more careful observation of the energy of those waves may have been something that these brothers should have paid more attention to. The analogy that applies here is just because you think you can fly with your human body doesn't mean that you will when you jump of that 2000 ft ledge! Either case, I wouldn't recommend it for your health. I mean "your" to mean the body. lol!

      At times, I guess we really have to ask ourselves what it is that motivates us.  That simple bit of introspection (or just common sense, maybe) could be a real lifesaver.

      Bingo. Good idea, no?

      Jesus said, “That which you have will save you if you bring it forth from yourselves. That which you do not have within you will kill you if you do not have it within you.”
      —GTh, 70

      Like I said, I wouldn't be thinking I could fly when jumping off tall ledges!

      peace,
      play
    • Al Pinto
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2002
        This may or may not be obvious so I should mention it. I think that the times I spend on that "perfect wave" in life are perceived as the best of times. And because I see it like that, even the experience of riding the perfect wave is flawed. Because the wave is doing what the wave will do regardless of whether I'm riding it or not. Like PMCV says: "I am not the sound, but the silence it comes from."

        To let it all be and just ride with the infinite energy that all things finite are a part. To me, that is a very good goal. Very difficult to do always. We all remember those times when we have witnessed it. In ourselves and in others. We watched others experience those moments in their lives and we've experienced them as well in ours.

        It's a mirror that reflects back to us what is infinite. Because if you can accept metaphor and symbolism as ways to understand and experience, what would be a better metaphor for the infinite than the finite? This, of course, assumes that the finite and infinite somehow connected. Are they?

        peace,
        play
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 20, 2002
          In some ways the surfing analogy works for me, and in some ways it
          doesn't. I noticed that Play states...

          >>>This may or may not be obvious so I should mention it. I think
          that the times I spend on that "perfect wave" in life are perceived
          as the best of times. And because I see it like that, even the
          experience of riding the perfect wave is flawed.<<<

          As Gerry, and others here as well, know, I am definately
          and "expereinctial" Gnostic. I think there is a lot to be said
          for "riding the wave". I do not believe in divorcing ones self from
          the world. In fact, I even go so far as to say that one should create
          the experience if it doesn't come by happenstance.

          On the other hand, even the "energy" is a phenominon, a happening. As
          such the energy cannot be infinite, but, at best, a representation of
          the infinite. It is a failing of the human mind (one that I am often
          prey to like anyone else) to never be quite able to describe or grasp
          the infinite. We wish to use terms like "infinite energy"
          or "infinite love", neither of which are possible in the full sense
          of the word.

          So, I guess what I mean to say is, the wave, the pain in the heart of
          the lover, the sudden feeling of fear when looking at the stars, the
          orgasm, the fist fight in bar parking lot, are things that bring an
          experience that itself is only an analogy, not a true touching of the
          infinite. Even the mystical experience itself is only an experience,
          a happening. They are all initiatory experiences.