Perfect Wave or Perfect Storm

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2002

      Reply to Play_Nice_Now’s message #5838:

      Ya know, Play, that surfing analogy for flawed perception really works for me.  I witness the same thing around here.  While I can relate to the attempt of those who seek a transcendent experience in that way, I have to wonder sometimes what’s actually sifting through those finite filters of our apparent individuality.  Is that brief moment always worth it?  I’m also reminded of those “god-junkies” mentioned in the other thread.

      After one of our more devastating hurricanes several years ago, a couple brothers drove up from Alabama.  Supposedly, they had construction experience and wanted to offer their services in the aftermath of the storm.  Odd, then, how they both ended up dying while trying to surf in a sea that was still raging.  Even more peculiar was why they would have brought surfboards to help rebuild people’s homes!

      At times, I guess we really have to ask ourselves what it is that motivates us.  That simple bit of introspection (or just common sense, maybe) could be a real lifesaver.

      Jesus said, “That which you have will save you if you bring it forth from yourselves. That which you do not have within you will kill you if you do not have it within you.”

      —GTh, 70