Re: Need help understanding Gnostic "mythology"

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2002
      Hey Brandon, welcome to the club.

      Part of the problem with your question is that it is debatable as to
      whether or not a Gnostic truely believes that Yaldebaoth "exists" in
      the way you seem to mean it. I think your word "mythology" is right
      on mark in that the literary point is the important one. This means
      that any literal god that a person would govel to is still
      Yaldebaoth, even if you call it "Odin".

      Christianity (at least as the word is understood today), like other
      religions then, would not be seen as a way to gnosis... rather a wall
      preventing one from gaining Gnosis.

      There do seem to be some Gnostic words and concepts that you seem to
      maybe have misunderstood, but in light of this more particular
      question I'll leave them alone for the time being. Suffice it to say
      that the traditional Gnostic would most likely have judged the names
      of deities in other religions by how the practitioner of that other
      religion conceptualized them. Could "Isis" be equated with Sophia?
      sure. In fact it has been postulated that this is how we got the
      book "Thunder; perfect mind" which you can find in the Nag Hammadi
      library. Understand though that this does not mean that Egyptian
      religion is "Gnostic".

      PMCV