Re: Gospel of Thomas NOT Gnostic?

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2002

      “Oooops,” as Yahoo says, more and more lately.  Anyway, as I still can’t seem to access the site right now and I don’t remember exactly how Ernst worded the subject heading of this controversial topic awhile back, I hope I came close enough with this attempt.

      Some of those who replied back then might have already addressed this point, but I didn’t recall mention of it.  It seems that in other commentaries I’ve read, some have suggested that the lack of accounts of the crucifixion in the Gospel of Thomas indicates an earlier redaction than other gospels which do include it.  It always seemed to me that the very random nature of the compilation of sayings allowed a possibility that what we consider as “complete” may still be an abbreviated version.  If logia were missing, how would one necessarily know?

      Jesus said, “Whoever does not hate his father and his mother cannot become a disciple to me. And whoever does not hate his brothers and sisters and take up his cross in my way will not be worthy of me.”

      —GTh, #55

      Well, unless the Roman practice of crucifixion had already been so common as to make “bearing one’s cross” idiomatic at the time of authorship, this would seem to indicate that the execution of Jesus was, at the very least, imminent.

      Does such speculation center more on the lack of references to “resurrection” rather than “crucifixion” itself?