Re: Modification of the sensate being

    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 15, 2002
      Hey Play, Lady Cari makes many of the points much more clearly than
      I. I'll just add a couple of things here.

      As to whether or not you are in the right place, as Cari states, only
      you can answer that. You don't need to agree with Gnosticism to be
      here, but you do have wish to understand what Gnosticism is. Since
      the purpose of this club is to talk about traditional Gnostic history
      and ideas, and there may be a number of reasons you might be
      interested in that, you have to figure out what those may be.

      >>>Faith, the way I think of and define it, is a combination of
      > emotions, beliefs and knowledge. Truth is something faith
      > accepts fully and is rooted in love and compassion.<<<

      That however is not the way it is usually defined. Faith is the
      belief in something that isn't known.

      >>What do you gain if you gather all the knowledge in the universe
      and don't have the faith necessary to more fully understand or accept
      it?<<<

      The material universe is only hylic matter. If you have all the
      knowledge in the universe you still do not have Gnosis, which is
      knowledge of something beyond the universe.

      >>>Knowledge is of the mind, emotions are of the body and belief is
      of the spirit. That's who we are like it or not.<<<

      Ah, but I "know" otherwise. Knowledge is of the mind, belief is an
      extention of emotions into the mind from the body, and Gnosis is of
      the spirit.

      >>>Right off the bat, what you are really saying then is that you
      choose one part of your being as more valuable than the others.<<<

      Well, yes. The Gnostic belief is that the material universe is
      transitory. It is a mistake that our spirits have fallen into. The
      goal of the Gnostic is to rejoin the infinite source, and this means
      leaving the body behind. The spirit is more valuable than the body.
      The body will die, it will rot, and it will disappear.... the spirit
      will not.

      >>>I can't help thinking about Thomas, the one who doubted what Jesus
      taught and then found the truth through him. Jesus was certainly
      someone who had faith. How will a gnostic ever know what he taught
      without it?<<<<

      I should point out, many Gnostics don't believe in Jesus at all.
      Those who do, tend to see Thomas as better than the other followers
      (except maybe Mary). Because of your question, some questions of my
      own come to mind. Have you read any Gnostic liturature? What
      about "Gnosticism" made you interested in finding out more about it?
      Where did you hear the word, was it from an actual Gnostic source or
      from some other source?

      The Gnostic view of Jesus (for the forms of Gnosticism that even care
      about Jesus that is) is very different than the one that "Christians"
      present. The Bible is, by and large, the creation of a group of
      polititians who were trying to supress Gnostics. One cannot
      understand Gnosticism from a general Christian backdrop. In other
      words, the belief that Jesus was a man of faith is not supported in
      Gnostic lituratrue (much of which predates the "Bible"), only
      in "Christian" works. Ultimately though, Gnosticism doesn't depend on
      Jesus for it's clues, one needn't believe in Jesus to be Gnostic.

      Message 69 of 69 , Apr 22, 2002
        Say, Will, not to confuse you any more, but . . .just for fun, since
        we both are not adverse to a transferred language of metaphor, I
        invite you and any other members who wish to join in, to read through
        _The Gospel of Thomas_ to see if you find any metaphorical language
        that makes sense to you. (This is not a requirement BTW, just an
        invitation to get a feel for a bit of metaphorical language used in
        the environs around here. LOL)

        For those who do not have a copy of the text, an online version can
        be found here ~

        http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gosthom.html