Re: Another new member

  • d_lazenby27
    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 9, 2002
      --- In gnosticism2@y..., "wilbro99" <wilbro99@y...> wrote:
      > Hi, I know not much about Gnosticism, but am learning quickly. I
      found
      > the following site with a list of what makes a Gnostic, and one of
      > them, quoted below, caught my attention as being what it was all
      > about. It says that one must first know the revelatory experience
      > before there is an awakening. Could someone describe this
      modification
      > of sensate being for me?
      >
      > http://gnosis.org/whatisgnostic.htm
      >
      > "Man does not attain the knowledge that awakens him from these
      dreams
      > by cognition but through revelatory experience, and this knowledge
      is
      > not information but a modification of the sensate being."

      Hi Wilbro,
      Great question. Here's how I see it,

      It's a deeper understanding, beyond intellect, of the knowledge that
      you have cognisized, a realisation. A drawing together of knowledge
      into wisdom that cannot be perceived on it's own. This wisdom is far
      greater, deeper and more profound than the sum of it's parts.
      The effect of these realisations is to bring about a change in
      perspective, an expansion of conciousness not knowledge.
      Realisations are revelatory because they occur unprompted by our
      conciousness.

      We can read a thousand books but if we don't realise their deeper
      meaning then we read in vain.
      Knowledge alone is useless.

      Dave
      Message 69 of 69 , Apr 22, 2002
        Say, Will, not to confuse you any more, but . . .just for fun, since
        we both are not adverse to a transferred language of metaphor, I
        invite you and any other members who wish to join in, to read through
        _The Gospel of Thomas_ to see if you find any metaphorical language
        that makes sense to you. (This is not a requirement BTW, just an
        invitation to get a feel for a bit of metaphorical language used in
        the environs around here. LOL)

        For those who do not have a copy of the text, an online version can
        be found here ~

        http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gosthom.html