Re: Self and Separation

  • d_lazenby27
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8 7:26 AM
      --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...> wrote:
      > Reply to Dave's message #5734:
      >
      > >>A brief foray into the world of mind, ego, separation. If we can
      let
      > go of our ideas of being someone, a separate self, then we shall
      > return to our true nature in a flash. It never went anywhere, we
      did,
      > wandered off into the maze of the mind and got well and truly
      lost.<<

      > Amazing how that internal compass works, huh, Dave?!
      >
      > Your comments remind me of the struggle a friend had last summer in
      trying to grasp certain concepts. He really found Gnosticism's ideas
      quite compelling, and yet, saw as utterly disturbing the idea of
      ultimately losing his own identity and individuality. If you're
      familiar with Star Trek (The Next Generation), you may appreciate
      that he likened the process to "being assimilated by the Borg."

      > It really struck me as odd, but from my perspective, it seemed as
      if the Borg already had assimilated the poor lad—each member of the
      collective off doing his own thing, part of the whole, and yet
      distinct, but all incapable of free thought, never truly knowing why
      they did what they did.

      > I don't know which I find creepier—Reality or Sci-Fi? ;-)
      >
      > Gerry

      HA. Love your perspective on the borg Gerry.
      All asserting their indivuality by trying to stay in fashion with
      everyone else. Individuality is so cherished yet as soon as someone
      dares to exercise it they're ridiculed (or prosecuted) back into
      towing the line by the collective.

      Dave