Self and Separation

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8 5:52 AM

      Reply to Dave’s message #5734:

      >>A brief foray into the world of mind, ego, separation. If we can let
      go of our ideas of being someone, a separate self, then we shall
      return to our true nature in a flash. It never went anywhere, we did,
      wandered off into the maze of the mind and got well and truly lost.<<

      Amazing how that internal compass works, huh, Dave?!

      Your comments remind me of the struggle a friend had last summer in trying to grasp certain concepts.  He really found Gnosticism’s ideas quite compelling, and yet, saw as utterly disturbing the idea of ultimately losing his own identity and individuality.  If you’re familiar with Star Trek (The Next Generation), you may appreciate that he likened the process to “being assimilated by the Borg.”

      It really struck me as odd, but from my perspective, it seemed as if the Borg already had assimilated the poor lad—each member of the collective off doing his own thing, part of the whole, and yet distinct, but all incapable of free thought, never truly knowing why they did what they did.

      I don’t know which I find creepier—Reality or Sci-Fi?  ;-)

      Gerry

    • d_lazenby27
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8 7:26 AM
        --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...> wrote:
        > Reply to Dave's message #5734:
        >
        > >>A brief foray into the world of mind, ego, separation. If we can
        let
        > go of our ideas of being someone, a separate self, then we shall
        > return to our true nature in a flash. It never went anywhere, we
        did,
        > wandered off into the maze of the mind and got well and truly
        lost.<<

        > Amazing how that internal compass works, huh, Dave?!
        >
        > Your comments remind me of the struggle a friend had last summer in
        trying to grasp certain concepts. He really found Gnosticism's ideas
        quite compelling, and yet, saw as utterly disturbing the idea of
        ultimately losing his own identity and individuality. If you're
        familiar with Star Trek (The Next Generation), you may appreciate
        that he likened the process to "being assimilated by the Borg."

        > It really struck me as odd, but from my perspective, it seemed as
        if the Borg already had assimilated the poor lad—each member of the
        collective off doing his own thing, part of the whole, and yet
        distinct, but all incapable of free thought, never truly knowing why
        they did what they did.

        > I don't know which I find creepier—Reality or Sci-Fi? ;-)
        >
        > Gerry

        HA. Love your perspective on the borg Gerry.
        All asserting their indivuality by trying to stay in fashion with
        everyone else. Individuality is so cherished yet as soon as someone
        dares to exercise it they're ridiculed (or prosecuted) back into
        towing the line by the collective.

        Dave