re: New Member

    Message 1 of 137 , Apr 5 7:47 PM

      Reply to Khaldun’s message #5731

      “One of the wickedest places” you’ve ever been, huh?  I can’t quite tell if you mean that literally, as one of the “worst” places, or in the vernacular, as one of the “baddest” places around.  No worries, though.  I lived in Georgia for a few years, and as with most things, I can take those comments either way.

      First off, I’d like to say that I hope everyone hasn’t had the same problems posting and accessing posts as some of us have had.  Yahoo’s new Groups format may take some getting used to.  Anyway, I thought I’d take the chance to respond tonight while I could finally get through, but as my eyes are shutting on me, forgive me if you find this even more incoherent than usual.

      >>The texts that I've read were not really shocking, but they seriously moved me and now I have this conscience about the whole thing.<<

      I wonder if the lack of shock-value might stem from the fact that you already find yourself with a conscience?  I can see where the greatest disturbance might be found by one with deep convictions in a radically different understanding, e.g., an orthodox belief system.

      >>But it makes sense or else why would Jesus himself advise us to renounce the things of this world and to repent??<<

      Well, it makes sense to me as well, and yet, I wonder what exactly you mean by “renouncing” and “repenting.”  I certainly think that his teachings meant for us to find the value in “transcending” this world, but your comments make me wonder as to what moral judgments might have come attached with them.

      I don’t mean to suggest there that Gnostics didn’t have moral concerns, but I think they had a deeper appreciation that sort of mitigated those questions.  Unable to put my hands right now on my favorite quote regarding this topic, I do like what Elaine Pagels had to say about moral preconceptions:

      “The gnostic author of the Gospel of Philip rejects this whole way of thinking.  As this author sees it, no act in itself—and specifically neither celibacy nor marriage—is necessarily good or bad.  Instead the moral significance of any act depends upon the situation, intentions, and level of consciousness of the participants.”

          Adam, Eve, and the Serpent, pg. 71.

      IOW, I see a difference between recognizing the illusory nature of the world and going out of one’s way in completely rejecting all things worldly.

      Message 137 of 137 , Apr 8 9:04 AM

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@...> wrote:

        > [. . .]
        >
        > Gerry and Lady C.,thanks for all of the info and links.…

        Thank you, Jana, for noticing them.

        > Gerry, after looking at the National Geographic link, I was

        > reminded of some suggestions I gave you on faded writing. I'm feeling
        > really good about watery sepia ink and sandpaper...and sand
        > horizontally and vertically...with the gray sandpaper...

        And ya know, that was the one suggestion you wrote me that I was the most hesitant to attempt.  There's something about the dual-layered papyrus and its almost glossy sheen that made me wonder if such coarse measures would destroy the whole thing, but the more I've thought about it (along with your renewed convictions), the more I believe it would indeed yield a desirable finish.  I imagine the weathered results would be akin to repeatedly wadding up a sheet of paper to the point that it becomes more like a thin piece of cloth rather than a crisp piece of paper.  Only this way, you avoid the wrinkles!