Fire

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
      Hi, all. Well, while we're waiting for Ernst to "elaborate" as to
      the purpose of his post #5725, I'd like to take a cue from insightful
      Gerry and his well-researched, thoughtful message #5726.

      Gerry suggests "examining the groups associated with historical
      Gnosticism (and their relevance to us today)." So, perhaps we could
      examine Ernst's DVD in relation to the Gospel of Thomas he has been
      interested in discussing at length, . . . this time for content, not
      just classification.

      Upon reading the quotes offered by Ernst, I'm struck by the portrayal
      of an angry Jesus. And I am reminded of passages from the Gospel of
      Thomas:

      First, an obvious reference:
      Logion 26 ~ Jesus said, "You (sing.) see the speck in your sibling's
      eye, but you do not see the beam in your own eye. When you expel the
      beam from your own eye then you will be able to see to expel the
      speck from the eye of your sibling.

      And we certainly do not see a meek, tolerant Jesus in these passages ~

      Logion 98 ~ Jesus said, "What the kingdom of the father resembles is
      a man who wants to assassinate a member of court. At home, he drew
      the dagger and stabbed it into the wall in order to know whether his
      hand would be firm. Next, he murdered the member of court."

      Logion 71 ~ Jesus said, "I shall throw down [this] building, and no
      one will be able to build it […]."

      Logion 16 ~ "Jesus said, "People probably think that it is peace that
      I come to impose upon the world. And they do not recognize that it
      is divisions that I have come to impose upon the earth – fire, sword,
      battle. . ."

      Imposing "fire"? Lots of fiery references in this collection of
      sayings. ~

      Logion 10 ~ Jesus said, "I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I
      am watching over it until it blazes."

      Logion 82 ~ Jesus said, "Whoever is near me is near fire, and whoever
      is far from me is far from the kingdom."

      Ah, but is this fire just to have an "incendiary" meaning (to borrow
      John's word)? Jesus isn't only inciting the world for kicks as an
      observer. He is an active participant. Do we see just a destructive
      fire or a fire allowing regeneration? Can a whole "world" benefit
      from the blaze or just individuals? What does he mean by "world"
      anyway? How many levels of meaning are we seeing here? Thoughts
      anyone?

      Ernst has presented quotes from the beginning of the film. Perhaps
      he would like to let us know how the character of Jesus is portrayed
      later in the film.