Re:Easter

  • manaman08050
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
      Yes. Just joined here, so hello everyone. I have read over the last
      30 or so posts, and it seems to be quite an interesting discussion. I
      think I will enjoy my membership immensely. May I ask, what is the
      point in this post I have just received? Will you elaborate please?
      This club IS about Gnosticism and Gnosis, am I correct? Are
      films 'advertised' and critiqued also?

      For Easter I bought a DVD of Herzog's tribute to Klas Kinski in "My
      best fiend" (Mein Liebster Feind). a t beinning of the film Kinski
      plays Jesus.

      KK - First cast the beam out of thine own eye and then the mote from
      mine.
      Jesus takes off his shirt...

      Speaker 1 - And lets others speak.

      KK - ... He kneels before the first one washing his dusty feel with
      his shirt. (KK pushes a speaker away.) I am not the Jesus of the
      official church who the police, bankers, judges, hangmen, officers,
      church bosses, politicians and other powerful people tolerate. I am
      not your Superstar.

      KK - Shut the fuck up. Come up here, bigmouth.

      Speaker 2 - Unfortunately, I am not a great speaker but maybe some of
      you seek Christ. But I don't think this is Him. Because Christ was
      tolerant and if someone contradicted Him, He would not tell them to
      shut up.

      KK - No, He didn't say shut up. He took the whip and smacked their
      ugly faces! That's what he did, you stupid pig! And if only one of you
      wants to hear me he has to wait until this fucking scum has left.

      Speaker 3 - If I may quote, "Thou shalt recognize them by their
      works." that's what counts.

      (KK throws a microphone and a stand off the stage.)
    • jjstroebel
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
        Hello Manaman and welcome. Yes, I find the messages here to be quite
        interesting. You may find there is no 'point' to some posts, aside
        from being inflametory. Yet, most are truly informative, insightful
        and demonstrate creative thinking, all the mark of intelligent
        discussion. By and large, it is a great group. I'll look for your
        future posts.

        John

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
          Hi, all. Well, while we're waiting for Ernst to "elaborate" as to
          the purpose of his post #5725, I'd like to take a cue from insightful
          Gerry and his well-researched, thoughtful message #5726.

          Gerry suggests "examining the groups associated with historical
          Gnosticism (and their relevance to us today)." So, perhaps we could
          examine Ernst's DVD in relation to the Gospel of Thomas he has been
          interested in discussing at length, . . . this time for content, not
          just classification.

          Upon reading the quotes offered by Ernst, I'm struck by the portrayal
          of an angry Jesus. And I am reminded of passages from the Gospel of
          Thomas:

          First, an obvious reference:
          Logion 26 ~ Jesus said, "You (sing.) see the speck in your sibling's
          eye, but you do not see the beam in your own eye. When you expel the
          beam from your own eye then you will be able to see to expel the
          speck from the eye of your sibling.

          And we certainly do not see a meek, tolerant Jesus in these passages ~

          Logion 98 ~ Jesus said, "What the kingdom of the father resembles is
          a man who wants to assassinate a member of court. At home, he drew
          the dagger and stabbed it into the wall in order to know whether his
          hand would be firm. Next, he murdered the member of court."

          Logion 71 ~ Jesus said, "I shall throw down [this] building, and no
          one will be able to build it […]."

          Logion 16 ~ "Jesus said, "People probably think that it is peace that
          I come to impose upon the world. And they do not recognize that it
          is divisions that I have come to impose upon the earth – fire, sword,
          battle. . ."

          Imposing "fire"? Lots of fiery references in this collection of
          sayings. ~

          Logion 10 ~ Jesus said, "I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I
          am watching over it until it blazes."

          Logion 82 ~ Jesus said, "Whoever is near me is near fire, and whoever
          is far from me is far from the kingdom."

          Ah, but is this fire just to have an "incendiary" meaning (to borrow
          John's word)? Jesus isn't only inciting the world for kicks as an
          observer. He is an active participant. Do we see just a destructive
          fire or a fire allowing regeneration? Can a whole "world" benefit
          from the blaze or just individuals? What does he mean by "world"
          anyway? How many levels of meaning are we seeing here? Thoughts
          anyone?

          Ernst has presented quotes from the beginning of the film. Perhaps
          he would like to let us know how the character of Jesus is portrayed
          later in the film.