Re: Gospel of Thomas not Gnostic???

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 31, 2002
      >>Wel, please tell everyone how is your thoughts changed.<<<

      Well Ernst, there are things concerning my own leanings that I said
      for the sake of controversy (more or less) when I first joined this
      club, that around the time of writing this paper I said more for the
      sake of categorization, and I now say _almost_ completely seriously.
      I have become more convinced of a genuine traditional Gnostic
      relation exhibited by some later groups, and far less convinced of
      the same in other groups that I once assumed to be Gnostic (like the
      Cathars, which I assume answers you other question as well). The list
      goes on, but it seems too much to outline in a single post.

      >>>Underline please "in a capacity that we have come to think as
      > "Gnostic"" Again, this seemed to me that you are working
      > backwards from present. (thus projecting the present thought
      > back). IMO<<<

      Oh, you are correct there. That is what all study of historical
      Gnosticism is, so I'm not sure why the statement would surprise you.
      IF we were talking about the past _from_ the past, we would be
      talking about the present. It is you who have insisted on the
      importance of the historical perspective, so when I talk to you I
      aknowledge that view.

      >>>You mean laity as in case of priests and such or laity in case of
      > scholars? For the latter I'm not laity but rather semi-laity. I
      don't
      > have just a passing interest in the subject but try to be as my job.
      > For the formar, who knows I might become a priest some day.<<<

      Niether do you have a degree specifically dealing with the subject,
      and work on it as a profession. You and I are still laity. There is
      also lay clergy, so holding that position does not guarentee
      expertise in ones profession. However, while it could happen Ernst, I
      have a hard time seeing you as a priest ;)

      The rest of your post deals with the relation between exoteric and
      esoteric. You already know my view on all that, so it seems
      unnecessary to repeat.