Re: Gospel of Thomas not Gnostic???

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2002
      Discussion of Jesus and the Eastern connection
      seems to have resurfaced. So, if our well-read member,
      Regeneratia, doesn�t mind, I�d like to post a link regarding
      the subject that she left in another
      kinds of other links on the subject, including opposing
      views to the theory.<br><br>Don, I don�t know about
      Jesus and Mary Magdalene traveling to Hidu Kush after
      the �crucifixion,� but one of the links entitled �Did
      Jesus Survive the Crucifixion?�
      ~<br><a href=http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mark_mason/ch4ex2.htm target=new>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mark_mason/ch4ex2.htm</a><br>discusses Jesus traveling with his mother, Mary, and then
      journeying on to India where he lived and taught until he
      was around 100 years old. Hmmm . . . .<br><br>Anyway,
      I haven�t had time to check out all the links, but
      this one ~
      New Age debates. LOL<br><br>ANYWAY, I don�t have an
      opinion at this point since all this is highly
      speculative. And, after all is said and done, to quote the
      words of hey_market:<br>�Are we most concerned with
      historical reality or divine reality?�<br><br>And to what
      extent should historical reality influence our concept
      of divine Reality. . . ?<br><br>Cari
    • ernststrohregenmantelrad
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20, 2002
        I remember Stephan Hoeller in his lecture saying that Jesus in
        India story you pretty much throw away these books in a trash
        bin.

        --- In gnosticism2@y..., lady_caritas wrote:
        > Discussion of Jesus and the Eastern connection
        > seems to have resurfaced. So, if our well-read member,
        > Regeneratia, doesn't mind, I'd like to post a link regarding
        > the subject that she left in another
        > community.<br><br><a href=http://reluctant-messenger.com/
        issa.htm target=new>http://reluctant-messenger.com/issa.htm</
        a> <br><br>If you scroll down, you will find all
        > kinds of other links on the subject, including opposing
        > views to the theory.<br><br>Don, I don't know about
        > Jesus and Mary Magdalene traveling to Hidu Kush after
        > the "crucifixion," but one of the links entitled "Did
        > Jesus Survive the Crucifixion?"
        > ~<br><a href=http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/
        mark_mason/ch4ex2.htm target=new>http://
        ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mark_mason/
        ch4ex2.htm</a><br>discusses Jesus traveling with his mother,
        Mary, and then
        > journeying on to India where he lived and taught until he
        > was around 100 years old. Hmmm . . . .<br><br>Anyway,
        > I haven't had time to check out all the links, but
        > this one ~
        target=new>http://home.earthlink.net/~ronrhodes/
        JesusNAM.html</a> <br>is fun if you enjoy Christian orthodoxy
        vs.
        > New Age debates. LOL<br><br>ANYWAY, I don't have an
        > opinion at this point since all this is highly
        > speculative. And, after all is said and done, to quote the
        > words of hey_market:<br>"Are we most concerned with
        > historical reality or divine reality?"<br><br>And to what
        > extent should historical reality influence our concept
        > of divine Reality. . . ?<br><br>Cari
      • wherecar54
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2002
          Hi Cari,

          I have read most of the links that you have provided. As far as after
          the Cruxifiction is concerned, well, I just don't know. There are
          discrepencies even between the church fathers as to when Jesus
          ascended. I don't think that we really know how long He was on earth
          after the Cruxifiction or where He went afterwards.
          As far as surviving the Cruxifiction is concerned, my opinion is that
          Jesus rejuvinated His body, through a quickening process. He did this
          to fulfill His own karma and to show His followers that death, in the
          body, could be overcome.

          I do believe that Jesus studied in India during His teen years, along
          with studies in Persia and Eygpt. He returned when Joseph died.

          Dan

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 21, 2002
            Hi, Dan. :-)

            Well, as far as the crucifixion goes, Gnostics would generally view
            this metaphorically anyway. "Resurrection" would not necessarily
            mean a physical process of death and revivification, but rather an
            abstract ascension or change of the intellect into another state of
            existence. We can be "awakened" in our present lives.

            As far as Jesus traveling to India, there has been a lot of
            speculation, but nothing that really holds water to my knowledge.

            Cari

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 23, 2002
              Just a quick thought....

              > ..my opinion is that
              > Jesus rejuvinated His body, through a quickening process. He
              did this
              > to fulfill His own karma and to show His followers that death, in
              the
              > body, could be overcome.
              >
              > I do believe that Jesus studied in India during His teen years,
              along
              > with studies in Persia and Eygpt. He returned when Joseph
              died.

              > Dan

              Karma... India.... Why you are bringing these Eastern thought to
              what basically haappened in the Hellenistic setting?

              The interpretation of the Eastern thought through the secularized
              Esoterism after Enilightenement is NO place for Gnosticism.