Re: Making history making us

  • hey_market
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2002
      "... would this be in a radically dualistic way
      or within a monistic framework?"
      existence, we undeniably encounter duality. This is how the
      reality (i.e., the physical reality of the world we
      inhabit) of our existence appears to us, and it is
      absolutely critical that we do not deny this reality even if
      it is only docetic, or an illusion.<br><br>It's a
      real illusion. And an unreal illusion too. That is,
      it's a parodox, and like all parodoxes, it may causes
      some discomfort, but this doesn't make it any less
      true.<br><br>Metaphysically speaking, that is, beyond or above (i.e., "meta")
      the physical dimension is another matter, or perhaps
      more accurately, non matter.<br><br>Is the latter
      realm (of non-matter or non-earthly reality), from
      whence the former arises, itself divided? Are there
      co-eternal realities of good and evil? Or are good and evil
      both resolved in a divine unity? <br><br>Different
      Gnostic schools seem to have different notions about
      this, and so it follows that the academic observers of
      these schools would likewise be divided--some
      contending that one is only a true Gnostic if they believe
      proposition abc while others contending proposition xyz
      really defines a Gnsotic.<br><br>One's own answers to
      these questions will depend on where one's interests
      lie. That is, if you're interested in attaining
      academic answers, then you'll dive into the world of
      academic distinctions (and to be sure, when it comes to
      the Gnostics, this is a world of division unto its
      own). <br><br>However, if you're after answers about
      ultimate reality itself, that's another non-matter
      altogether. In which case, experience--the excperience of
      gnosis--will inform or frame your insight into ultimate
      reality.<br><br>And these insights may not be fixed. Often times, and
      in very contemporary fashion, it seems that people
      imagine gnosis to be a fixed set of information, almost
      as if it's the answer to a mathematical equation.
      You know, as if you can say "I've got it!" to the
      problem of understanding ultimate reality.<br><br>Perhaps
      you can, but based on the various experiences and
      insights of various Gnostics, it appears to come in
      penetrating waves of deeper perceptions and insights. And so,
      we may perceive a oneness and then plunge further
      and see a kind of division, and then further still, a
      greater unity, and so on.<br><br>This in itself seems to
      imply an ultimate division, since our insights keep
      splitting up into new insights. And yet, with each split
      there is a new fullness or pleroma.<br><br>So what's at
      the end of the line? Is it a division or unity?
      ultimate divinity for most, if not all traditions, is held
      to be ultimately unknowable. But this does not
      preclude the possiblity of attaining such knowledge
      (anything's possible), or in its stead, the possiblity of
      achieiving a new fullness of knowledge.