Re: Searching for answers (2)

  • hey_market
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2002
      For starters, you might want check out
      gnostic.org, home of the Gnostic Archive, then click on
      "lectures" on the left side of the page, and if you have a
      Real Player installed on your computer, you can listen
      to one of the free lectures by Stephan
      Hoeller.<br><br>Mr. Hoeller is one of the foremost authorities on
      Gnosticism. He's a wise man and a good speaker--enertaining
      in his Hungarian accent. (I might add that he's
      based in L.A. , so you can visit his modest church
      live). <br><br>So, I'd first listen to the lecture he's
      given on what Gnosticism is or else the legacy of
      gnosticism (either/or--or both). See what you think. Then,
      next...<br><br>The closest thing to the bible for Gnostics is the
      Nag Hammadi library. You might obtain a copy and then
      just read the Introduction and then the Gospel of
      Thomas. <br><br>From there, I'd try to get a hold of "The
      Elements of Gnosticism" by Stuart Holroyd--it's short,
      inexpensive, and an extremely clear and easy read on what can
      be a complex subject for some (though I must also
      say that some naturally gravitate to the Gnostic way
      of thinking, and that may be you).<br><br>From there
      you might try "The Gnostic Gospels" by Elain Pagels,
      which is a famous work, but a bit dated (even by her
      own account). Still, many consider it a classic.
      suggestions, but those will get you started quite
      well.<br><br>One thing to bear in mind is as you go forward, and
      hopefully you will, is that Gnosticism has very unique and
      exotic concepts and terminology, and this can be
      daunting at first, even if you are drawn to it. Rest
      assured, liek anything else, you start to pick it up over
      time.<br><br>Finally, I am curious as to what brought you to this site?
      I what context have you come across the word
      "Gnostic" or "gnosis" before? And was it in a positive or
      negative light? And what was it about what you heard that
      seemed to (potentially) connect to you, or at least
      divinely inspire your interest?