Re: What makes Gnosticism Gnostic?

  • hey_market
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2002
      I think you've got the gyst of it all right,
      Pteruges. That said, the one item that I would definitely
      strike ofg the list pertains to reincarnation, since any
      generalized assertion that Gnostics ascribed to this belief
      is tenous at best. <br><br>Without getting into the
      distinctions between types of migrations of the soul
      (reincarnation, metempsychosis, etc.), it's relatively safe to
      either claim or speculate that some did and some didn't,
      but in any case, it certainly wasn't an essential or
      central tenet for most Gnostics.<br><br>For the most
      part, they were a bit silent on the matter, most likely
      because what really mattered to them was the ultimate
      liberation of the soul. This was clearly more important than
      any given number of intermediate posthumous states,
      whether one or many in whatever given form.