Re: Trichotomy

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2001
      Now this post I'm going to give more attentin to.
      This is a good post Ernst, one that really deals with
      points of an arguement. I wish you would do this more
      often instead of the posturing and "chip on the
      shoulder" attitude.<br><br>I disagree with some points, but
      when you state them this way we can actually *gasp*
      debate them like *mature* people.<br><br>Anyways.... I
      agree with your division of Syrian vs Alexandrian
      Gnosticism, to a point. Philip doesn't look Syrian to me, and
      according to Clement, Carpocrates was Adoptionist (or more
      likely even simply believing Jesus was a normal man, a
      philosopher, who gained Gnosis.... still much more similar to
      the Adoptionist ideal.) Basilides on the other hand,
      who was from the Syrian format, seems to have been
      Docetist. What I'm saying is that I agree with the
      tendancy, but a tendancy is not a rule. What's more is I
      don't think that Adoptionism and Docetism could not
      have existed in the same
      sect.<br><br>>>>Ebionites who were diffnitely
      adaptionlists<<<<br><br>If I were you I would be pointing out that you have
      provided no proof lol. Don't worry about it Ernst, I'm
      just giving you a hard time (though you should live up
      to the same standards you expect of others, it is
      practically impossible to prove anything concerning the
      Ebionites right now).<br><br>>>>The article put
      the question of the relationship between Montanism
      and Gnosticsm by suggesting that Montanists might
      included some scriptures that was found in Nag Hammadi
      namely _Thunder: Perfect Mind_ (NHC VI, 2) and
      _Trimorphic Potennoia_ (NHC XIII,
      1).<<<<br><br>Hmmm, that does sound interesting. I'm already made
      skeptical by the choice of liturature, but I can see it in
      a way. I tend to ascribe mystery tradition sources
      (at least for Thunder, because of the similarity to
      the Greek "Isis" liturature that is so similar), but
      Montanism does provide some interesting speculation that I
      wouldn't write out.<br><br>PMCV