Re: Peter, Paul and Mary! pt6

  • ErnstStrohregenmantelrad
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2001
      >>>For many years then it had been
      assumed that Elkasites were similar to Gnostics. Recently
      this cosmology became an issue since sholars started
      noticing that there is no evidence the Elkasites did use
      it, so it was wondered where the Manicheans may have
      picked it up.<<<<br><br>In my opinion
      Elchasaites or any other Jewish-Christians did indeed have
      the cosmology of what is later termed as Gnostics.
      That is the concept "die Himmelsreise". It is
      premature to say just because Manichaeism has the
      anti-Judaic concept within the dualistic cosmology that one
      comes from another. One must keep in mind that Judaic
      setting is needed as much as rejecting it. Gnostic
      Sethians (more on them later) and Valentinians came up
      with the cosmology within this matrix (supposely all
      on their own). Why not Mani? If we follow your
      reasoning here we should also assume that Sethians and
      Valentinians got thier cosmology from Marcion (which might be
      the case, who knows).<br><br>>>>This is
      easily explaind through the well known absorbtion of the
      Marcionites, which would make them the more instrumental in
      Manichean ideology than the
      Elkasites.<<<<br><br>This as I explained is purely a speculation. There is
      no "well know absorbition" in dealing with genesis
      of Manichaeism is concerned. Like I stated
      Marcionites did existed after Manichaeism and if there are
      any "absorbtion" it was in the West which doesn't
      affect the genesis of Manichaeism which was in the East
      (Persia). Granted, Marcionites may influenced Manichaeism
      in dulaism but why not also Zoroasterism (the
      traditional explanation which is some what out dated) or even
      group such as Bardaisan or any other 'heretical' groups
      that were prevelent in Mesopotania at the time? Still,
      I think Syriac Christianity plays a r´┐Żle in this as
      there are indication of 'gnostic' origin of Syriac
      tradition and Manichaeans did use the Act of Thomas which
      included "The Hymn of Pearl" as one of thier
      scriptures.<br><br>cont.