Re: Peter, Paul and Mary! pt1

  • ErnstStrohregenmantelrad
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2001
      My quam about your post #5307 is although you
      used the phase such as "it has been argued" you have
      not produced solid documentation to back up the
      argument. (meaning, where is this line of arguent is found
      or discussed?) This is especially true to your
      Manichaeism arguement when that arguement has not being
      properly discussed. For example quoting from your post
      #5307<br><br>>>>...it has been argued that Marcionites were
      Gnostic.<<< <br><br>This arguement is fine and I have no
      problem because the demarcation of Gnosticism to include
      Marcionites is discussed frequently in many books including
      Holroyd's _The Elements of Gnosticism_ (p. 39, p. 40). Even
      an author of 'orthodox' standing writing about the
      history of Christianity, Justo L. Gonz´┐Żlez, in _A History
      of Christian Thought vol. 1_ Abindon Press, 1970,
      defines that argument as well.<br><br>"Marcion has
      traditionally been counted among the Gnostics... ...One's final
      decision on this matter greatly depends on what one
      understands by "Gnostic," for there is no doubt that there
      are some elements in Marcion's theology that bring
      him very close to Gnosticism, while others would lead
      the historian to disuss him separately, as I have
      decided to do here." (p. 138)<br><br>cont.