Re: which bible translation represents the gnostic thought

  • banderaken
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 19, 2011
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "JmessL9" <jandrew99@...> wrote:

      > Ken..sorry i directed my post to you...when it was Steven that asked the question...however since you responded may I answer your question, 'Why' read the bible at all, if what you want to study in Gnostic Text'.
      >
      > Well for starters its not about finding the right 'stuff' to read as if we don't we have somehow 'lost out'. What are we seeking when we are searching for anything in the 'world' in regards to Truth?
      >
      > We are searching (I presume) for answers yes,

      No. I'm not searching. I found what I was searching for several years ago. However what I found and how I found it has nothing to do with the focus of this group which is historical Gnosticism.

      Ken
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 20, 2011
        Steven,

        This is a good question. All translations are interpretations. Interpretations are based on a worldview. When presented with more than one alternative for translating a text, whether it be a single word, a clause, a sentence, or a text, the tendency is to choose a translation that supports one's world view. One can of course narrow down the alternatives based on higher critical skills, but often it comes down to a choice. This would allow for the possibility of a Bible translation having a drift toward a Gnostic point of view.

        However, I doubt that you would find a modern translation of the Bible that had such a "drift" (though I am open to being corrected on this--if there is one). The reason I think this is that Gnosticism--as a viable, vibrant, and competing worldview, is a historical view that was present for a few centuries before and after the time of Jesus. This means that if you really want to find a Bible translation with a Gnostic point of view, you need to look at translations that were done when Gnosticism was actively competing as a worldview. In other words, you need to look at the Bible when it was being formed as the "Bible."

        The Bible grew up in a period when there were highly competive worldviews at play. One "Bible" had as much weight as another "Bible" until orthodoxy stepped in and said this group of writings is the "Bible." Thus, other scriptures (ie., competing "Bibles") existed at one time and these have been handed down to us through such writings as the Gospel of Thomas and many others. These are "Bibles" as much as the "Holy Bible" is and they definitely have a Gnostic "drift." But, this Gnostic worldview as found its way into the "Holy Bible," as has been pointed out. This "Holy Bible" is a translation (and therefore an interpretation) of an oral tradition and a written tradition, and with each of these very early translations/interpretations, the Gnostic worldview was alive and well and informing some of those who "passed down" the Holy Bible.

        So read the Gnostic literature, as some have pointed out--it is as much a "Bible" as the "Holy Bible." Read also those passages in the "Holy Bible," as some have pointed out, which were "filtered" through the Gnostic worldview. However, don't look for a modern translation that is a Gnostic interpretation, because Gnosticism is a historical artifact and not a current worldview--though there are many gnostics who are alive and well today.

        Mark

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "sbaldwin2" <sbaldwin2@...> wrote:

        > greetings,
        >
        > Question - which of the various Bible translations out on the market represent the gnostic thought or as close as can be?
        >
        > Open to ideas.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Steven Baldwin

      • Shohn