Re: Gnosticism Does Not Posess Passwords To Heaven

  • Tommy
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 13 7:21 PM
      i tried to stay with 'chester' [re: below comment] but I think i fell asleep too many times to figure out what he means and where he was going with this mixed up 'copy-paste' comment. i mean, i thought the gnostic books and kabalah were hard to follow for many many years...so maybe i'm missing something here.
      Maybe i just need to get a round tuit. With that i could re-read & decipher anything. I just never seem to be able to get a round tu-it.

      Was it my crossed eyes or is chester trying to say that old books have no purpose other than being nice scenery in ones library or some such nonsense?
      And wasn't there a book already written a while back about the fire department and burning useless books? Fahrenheit something...i think...

      And what about poor Ennead? What if someone had destroyed all the 'useless old books' [my quotes] from before his time? What would he study to become a philosopher?
      Does Chester know that the greatest library of all time was in Egypt & that it was burned down by religious zealots & then the head of the place, a most incredible Lady holding five university degrees {Hypatia}, was drug from her chariot on the way to open the Library {of Alexandria} by those same ignorant people with the matches & they stripped her skin from her body with abalone shells?

      When will we ever learn? {probably never from the looks of it}

      And by the way, i don't consider following my spirit/soul/curiousity's needs...to be a constitutional right even if it is. It is MY right to go peacefully and do no harm as I search the globe for kernels of Knowledge...can i get an amen, Sophia? AMEN!
      Perchance Chester should forgo his random, confused tirade for a moment and go read Socrates.
      Now there's a read...of course one must first READ Plato to READ Socrates because Socrates NEVER wrote any thing down. The great ones never do!

      Side bar:
      Here in Mississippi an 'Ennead' is a greeting made by a friend to anyone called Ned..ie: 'Eh-Ned, whar'd you get them hound dogs Uh saw you a hunten with yasterday, eh?'

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, brownbagprd@... wrote:

      > I am quite sure this Gnostic doesn't know what an "Ennead" is.
      >

      > Neal
      >
      > Gnostic and other Judeo-Christian materials/ subjects at
      > http://iontruth.blogspot.com/

    • Des Adams
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 14 2:29 AM

        From Des, I’ve read the Gnostic Bible and have been meditating and reading postings on Gnosticism for a few months now. What I am inquiring about and may be someone out there knows. Was Jesus and Paul the apostle of the north Israel group of the Essences or were they of another group, which went back to the Buddha to which Paul Christianised “The Way” which is in the book of Acts?

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 14 6:53 AM
          Hi Chester,

          Do you consider the Gospel of Thomas gnostic/Gnostic? If so, do any of
          those more interesting ancient writings give full equality to women? Are
          they fully compatible with modern science with no explicit superstition
          whatsoever from the viewpoint of science? If so, I'd like a reading list
          if it's not too much trouble.

          To be fair, these neo-Gnostics with their evil Hebrew God/demiurge and
          so on at least have more class than devil worshippers or whatever. Got
          all these 1700 year old gospels and such. And they haven't ruled the
          roost for 2000 years and don't dominate Biblical "Scholarship" like
          Christian ideas and history/propaganda do.

          Rick Van Vliet

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Chester" <chesterelders28@...>
          wrote:

          > Orthodoxy assumes the great gnostic texts were written during the
          halcyon years of the church. According to the official line, they were
          composed as a direct challenge to the authority of the nascent Christian
          faith. We know, now that orthodoxy is an anachronism; at most, there was
          only a proto-orthodoxy in the early to middle second century. Elaine
          Pagels has persuasively argued that orthodoxy was primarily a political
          attempt at control over the various recalcitrant churches. So; the
          question arises: Why do we search the gnostic scriptures, now? At most,
          they have an historical and antiquarian value. Why do we presume, though
          that these ancient writings conceal hidden wisdom? I dearsay that few,
          if any new-age gnostics know of, or care about the Enneads by Plotinus.
          Yet, straightforward philosophical works contain more truth than obtuse
          speculations embellished with religious trappings.

          > Of course; The Hypostasis of the archons contains legitimate attempts
          at understanding intractable questions, perhaps even the most
          intractable question, of all: What is our role in the cosmos? I don't
          object to appreciating what, say the Gospel of Judas alleges about the
          nature of God. What I do object to is mining the gnostic texts for
          passwords to heaven. The cosmologies and cosmogonies of the gnostics are
          long exploded. I'm incredulous at those who actually believe they can
          descern the geography of heaven from 2000 years old writings; and yet,
          would scoff at anyone who claims Jesus is the son of God by appealing to
          Holy Scripture.

          > What I'm inveighing against is the shallow supposition that history
          colluded with Christian orthodoxy to conceal truth which can now be had
          by tabloid-crazed new-age zealots. I put them on the same intellectual
          level as those sad street people who wear tinfoil hats to protect
          themselves from alien rays. Of course, if burning incense and chanting
          passages from a Mandean text gives you the illusion of being closer to
          the divine, then have at it. After all, that is your constitutional
          right. But, if you want to be a serious student of gnosticism, then
          reconcile yourself to this truth: God is not to be found in some
          yellowing palimpsest. The divine can only be gleaned in our efforts to
          discern the law behind the law.

          > Chester

        • kurt31416
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 14 7:10 AM
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Des Adams" <sirdesmond1@...> wrote:

            > From Des, I’ve read the Gnostic Bible and have been meditating and reading postings on Gnosticism for a few months now. What I am inquiring about and may be someone out there knows. Was Jesus and Paul

            Jesus and Paul were mortal enemies. Paul slaughtered most of the followers of Jesus according to Acts and the letters of Paul. It's as likely as not that Paul was involved in killing Jesus too.

            > the apostle of the north Israel group of the Essences or were they of another group,

            Virtually nothing is known of the Essenes. The Christians and Jews never mention them in their writings. They had nothing to do with Qumran or the Dead Sea Scrolls. They pin it on the Essenes, since it's inconvenient for Christians and Jews. Turns out, for instance, the Dead Sea Scrolls are as close or closer to the Samaritan version of the Torah than the Masoretic the Jews use.

            > which went back to the Buddha to which Paul Christianised “The Way” which is in the book of Acts?

            Jesus and apparently Paul were totally oblivious to the Buddha. Not a single solitary parallel. Lots to the Greeks including the Cynics, but not Buddha.

          • Tommy
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 14 8:03 AM
              -Correction to myself, Neal, & Chester: [04/14/2010]
              ...Oops--i really was falling asleep last night whilst trying to decipher & comment on Chester's remarks. Please forgive, i will now correct meself.....
              i re-read my comments to 'chester' & saw where i wrote of the Ennead's as if that were the philosopher, Plotinus, when in reality the Ennead's were the six 'offsprings' of Plotinus. lol. At the time i was trying to make a joke & it woulda worked if i'd remembered to add the guy's name in somewhere. once again...sorry folks.

              Wait, i have to add just a little more to this...senseless discussion...& just maybe the younger seekers can actually get something from this because knowledge can be found in anything, anywhere.

              i must say, chester, from the looks of things this morning you have stepped into some deep d-do with the members here who are merely trying to have some intellectual discourse with like minds.
              Here's one to get your teeth around, ' As Above so Below, as Below so Above'. A simple puzzle and passed down and written way before you and i were born...now who is/was this attributed to? And what do it mean?

              In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Tommy" <tburns2012@...> wrote: [04/14/2012]

              > i tried to stay with 'chester' [re: below comment] but I think i fell asleep too many times to figure out what he means and where he was going with this mixed up 'copy-paste' comment. i mean, i thought the gnostic books and kabalah were hard to follow for many many years...so maybe i'm missing something here.
              > Maybe i just need to get a round tuit. With that i could re-read & decipher anything. I just never seem to be able to get a round tu-it.
              >
              > Was it my crossed eyes or is chester trying to say that old books have no purpose other than being nice scenery in ones library or some such nonsense?
              > And wasn't there a book already written a while back about the fire department and burning useless books? Fahrenheit something...i think...
              >
              > And what about poor Ennead? What if someone had destroyed all the 'useless old books' [my quotes] from before his time? What would he study to become a philosopher?
              > Does Chester know that the greatest library of all time was in Egypt & that it was burned down by religious zealots & then the head of the place, a most incredible Lady holding five university degrees {Hypatia}, was drug from her chariot on the way to open the Library {of Alexandria} by those same ignorant people with the matches & they stripped her skin from her body with abalone shells?
              >
              > When will we ever learn? {probably never from the looks of it}
              >
              > And by the way, i don't consider following my spirit/soul/curiousity's needs...to be a constitutional right even if it is. It is MY right to go peacefully and do no harm as I search the globe for kernels of Knowledge...can i get an amen, Sophia? AMEN!
              > Perchance Chester should forgo his random, confused tirade for a moment and go read Socrates.
              > Now there's a read...of course one must first READ Plato to READ Socrates because Socrates NEVER wrote any thing down. The great ones never do!
              >
              > Side bar:
              > Here in Mississippi an 'Ennead' is a greeting made by a friend to anyone called Ned..ie: 'Eh-Ned, whar'd you get them hound dogs Uh saw you a hunten with yasterday, eh?'

              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, brownbagprd@ wrote:
              > > I am quite sure this Gnostic doesn't know what an "Ennead" is.
              > > Neal

              > > Gnostic and other Judeo-Christian materials/ subjects at
              > > http://iontruth.blogspot.com/

            • Ank Kelly
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 14 8:50 AM
                Agreed with this statement, but then, what does and do we know we are there? (heaven). Would it  - the password - be coming with the morning mail, or have to be earned by the sweat of thy Brow. camels that can pass through needles?

                Mmmm, maybe this is simply a reflex of this 'instant' this and that of this 'civilisation', and under the same heading as instant Karma, although I am sure we have all had this or wished it likewise on someone else. I know I have.

                What was it again in the bible, when Jesus cures a blind man (and maybe , JUST maybe that is an allegory for someone whose eyes were suddenly opened to a truth) and his disciples ask him to the cause of his blindness that he says that this is 'God's work'?

                Indeed, will we ever learn? That we are all One?

                When will we no longer confuse the messengers with the message? imho that is a distraction.

                I agree with Tommy that some of the texts are hard to read, let alone to interpret I have to admit to my embarrassment. I will be the first to admit I am notoriously dense in some ways.

                Totally agreed on Socrates, that would be the way forward, there is definitely a good side to this.

                About Ennead, the Nine, the council of Nine, also Nine deities described in Mayan mythology,

                http://www.calleman.com/content/articles/999_and_the_mayan_calendar.htm

                and nine dimensions

                please don't take my word for it.

                Might it be some universally felt principle, mayhaps in the 'archetypal realm', some marker that we are all at least on the way of becoming one?

                Words are words and can always be twisted, unfortunately.

                for me it goes something like this: I run the materials that I find past an inner 'program' that I developed, where conditions like integrity, no idolatry (people as gods), no expensive workshops, no selling of product, is it consistent (nothing wrong with the tree of knowledge), is it logical (borg/vulcan in any which combo), does it make sense to my humble self in this state of 'progress' will have to be met.

                I liked what I read about gnosticism, because some of it explained the experiences I have had, not all of them, but some. I am guessing there is a universal principle at work here and am curious about that.

                There is but one truth - in the end - and many myriads of ways to get to this truth and many different systems (not confusing the tools with the goal).

                The last words are given over to Jesus/Jeshua/Joshua:
                One example of how words' are interpreted differently here:
                http://www.heartlight.org/wjd/mark/0521-wjd.html#Fulltext

                Who do they say I am?

                hopes this makes any sense.

                Ank

                laughing about yourself  can be a source of great and enduring fun!

                i tried to stay with 'chester' [re: below comment] but I think i fell asleep too many times to figure out what he means and where he was going with this mixed up 'copy-paste' comment. i mean, i thought the gnostic books and kabalah were hard to follow for many many years...so maybe i'm missing something here.
                Maybe i just need to get a round tuit. With that i could re-read & decipher anything. I just never seem to be able to get a round tu-it.

                Was it my crossed eyes or is chester trying to say that old books have no purpose other than being nice scenery in ones library or some such nonsense?
                And wasn't there a book already written a while back about the fire department and burning useless books? Fahrenheit something... i think...

                And what about poor Ennead? What if someone had destroyed all the 'useless old books' [my quotes] from before his time? What would he study to become a philosopher?
                Does Chester know that the greatest library of all time was in Egypt & that it was burned down by religious zealots & then the head of the place, a most incredible Lady holding five university degrees {Hypatia}, was drug from her chariot on the way to open the Library {of Alexandria} by those same ignorant people with the matches & they stripped her skin from her body with abalone shells?

                When will we ever learn? {probably never from the looks of it}

                And by the way, i don't consider following my spirit/soul/ curiousity' s needs...to be a constitutional right even if it is. It is MY right to go peacefully and do no harm as I search the globe for kernels of Knowledge... can i get an amen, Sophia? AMEN!
                Perchance Chester should forgo his random, confused tirade for a moment and go read Socrates.
                Now there's a read...of course one must first READ Plato to READ Socrates because Socrates NEVER wrote any thing down. The great ones never do!

                Side bar:
                Here in Mississippi an 'Ennead' is a greeting made by a friend to anyone called Ned..ie: 'Eh-Ned, whar'd you get them hound dogs Uh saw you a hunten with yasterday, eh?'

                --- In gnosticism2@ yahoogroups. com, brownbagprd@ ... wrote:

                > I am quite sure this Gnostic doesn't know what an "Ennead" is.
                >

                > Neal
                >
                > Gnostic and other Judeo-Christian materials/ subjects at
                > http://iontruth. blogspot. com/

              • D. Tackett
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 14 1:06 PM
                  "As above so below" is an ancient Egyptian concept that was written on temple walls of Egypt. As far as meaning, I guess gnosis is needed to make this clear.

                • Ank Kelly
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 14 1:52 PM
                    If I am not mistaken, and I might well be the saying 'as above, so below' comes from the Tabula Smaragdina aka Emerald tablets and is attributed to the Egyptian 'Hermes Trismegistus', and part of the Hermetic tradition.
                    http://www.crystalinks.com/emerald.html

                    as within, so without?

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 14 2:11 PM
                      Hi, Des. I'm not sure if you're actually interested in a historical Jesus or whether you're just tracing the character in stories. It seems that much of mainstream Christian scholarship spends a lot of time and energy on a historical Jesus when historicity of Jesus is not a certainty, especially as portrayed in various gospels. There are no reliable controls outside gospel accounts to corroborate his existence, even though everyone has a right to belief or faith in such a person, if that is their interest.

                      The ancient Gnostics seemed more concerned in Jesus as part of their theology, and finding esoteric meaning within the mythology, rather than as a character in a solely historical account.

                      Cari

                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "kurt31416" <kurt31416@...> wrote:

                      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Des Adams" <sirdesmond1@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > From Des, I’ve read the Gnostic Bible and have been meditating and reading postings on Gnosticism for a few months now. What I am inquiring about and may be someone out there knows. Was Jesus and Paul
                      >
                      > Jesus and Paul were mortal enemies. Paul slaughtered most of the followers of Jesus according to Acts and the letters of Paul. It's as likely as not that Paul was involved in killing Jesus too.
                      >
                      > > the apostle of the north Israel group of the Essences or were they of another group,
                      >
                      > Virtually nothing is known of the Essenes. The Christians and Jews never mention them in their writings. They had nothing to do with Qumran or the Dead Sea Scrolls. They pin it on the Essenes, since it's inconvenient for Christians and Jews. Turns out, for instance, the Dead Sea Scrolls are as close or closer to the Samaritan version of the Torah than the Masoretic the Jews use.
                      >
                      > > which went back to the Buddha to which Paul Christianised “The Way” which is in the book of Acts?
                      >
                      > Jesus and apparently Paul were totally oblivious to the Buddha. Not a single solitary parallel. Lots to the Greeks including the Cynics, but not Buddha.

                    • Tom Urash
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 15 4:31 PM
                        Hello Chester,

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 15 6:31 PM
                          There's more evidence for a historical Jesus than for Socrates. Other than kings that wrote it on walls, it's all hearsay. We have actual physical scraps of things said by Jesus within about 100 years of his death. We have nothing Socrates said within about 1000 years of his death.