Re: What I learned today

  • cardboard
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2010

      Of course I visit so many pages a day it is hard to track my history.

      In order to better understand things I sort of “take out the adjectives” in order to break down a phrase into its most simple terms.

      I believe what I wrote came from here:

      http://www.wisdomworld.org/additional/christianity/ChristosSophiaAchamoth.html

      Toady I tried to learn when the god in charge changed from the creator to the Father.   Was in the New Testament?   Jesus came to make the transition?   Are there different Gnostic sects?  Like Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian? What are they?

      Sandy

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2010
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "cardboard" <cardboard@...> wrote:

        > Of course I visit so many pages a day it is hard to track my history.
        > In order to better understand things I sort of "take out the adjectives"
        > in order to break down a phrase into its most simple terms.
        > I believe what I wrote came from here:
        >
        > http://www.wisdomworld.org/additional/christianity/ChristosSophiaAchamot
        > h.html
        >

        > Toady I tried to learn when the god in charge changed from the creator
        > to the Father. Was in the New Testament? Jesus came to make the
        > transition? Are there different Gnostic sects? Like Baptist,
        > Methodist, Episcopalian? What are they?
        >
        > Sandy

        Thanks, Sandy. The ancient Gnostics believed in a sort of god above god. In various Gnostic myths the demiurge (sometimes called Ialdabaoth) was the creator or artisan of our world and was different from the ultimate, ineffable, infinite Father.

        Actually, Bentley Layton's book you mention, "The Gnostic Scriptures," is a wonderful resource. You can find discussion of various Gnostic sects and descriptions of the demiurge. Traditionally, various sects have been generally categorized as Sethian or Valentinian.

        In your travels around the internet, I don't know if you've had a chance to visit sites such as ~

        http://gnosis.org/welcome.html
        http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

        These sites offer a wealth of information, including original ancient writings.

        I'd also recommend checking out some links on our group home page, which offer information, including some introductory articles:

        Happy sleuthing,