What I learned today

  • unabled
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2010
      Ilda-Baoth set himself to create a world of his own. Aided by his sons, he fabricated man, but this one proved a failure. It was a monster, soulless, ignorant, and crawling on all fours on the ground like a material beast. His mother animated man and endowed him with a soul. And now began the animosity of Ilda-Baoth toward his own creature. Man soared higher and higher in his aspirations; very soon he began presenting not the image of his Creator Ilda-Baoth but rather that of the Supreme Being, the "primitive man," Ennoia. Then the Demiurgus was filled with rage and envy; and fixing his jealous eye on the abyss of matter and the relation became animate, and there arose out of the abyss Satan, serpent, Ophiomorphos -- "the embodiment of envy and of cunning. After that, always in spite at the perfection of man.. he was bent upon detaching "man" from his spiritual protectress, Ilda-Baoth forbade him to eat of its fruit, for fear it should reveal to mankind the mysteries of the superior world. But Sophia-Achamoth, who loved and protected the man whom she had animated, sent her own genius Ophis, in the form of a serpent to induce man to transgress the selfish and unjust command. And "man" suddenly became capable of comprehending the mysteries of creation. Ilda-Baoth revenged himself by punishing the first pair, for man, through his knowledge, had already provided for himself a companion out of his spiritual and material half. He imprisoned man and woman in a dungeon of matter, in the body so unworthy of his nature, wherein man is still enthralled. But Achamoth protected him still. She established between her celestial region and "man," a current of divine light, and kept constantly supplying him with this spiritual illumination.

      Achamoth, beseeches the celestial mother Sophia to prevail on the unknown DEPTH to send down Christos (the son and emanation of the "Celestial Virgin") to the help of perishing humanity. Ilda-Baoth and his six sons of matter are shutting out the divine light from mankind. Man must be saved. Ilda-Baoth had already sent his own agent, John the Baptist, from the race of Seth, whom he protects -- as a prophet to his people; but only a small portion listened to him -- the Nazarenes, the opponents of the Jews, on account of their worshipping Iurbo-Adunai.

      Ilda-Baoth, discovering that Christos was bringing to an end his own kingdom of matter, stirred up the Jews against him, and Jesus was put to death When on the Cross, Christos and Sophia left his body and returned to their own sphere. The material body of the man Jesus was abandoned to the earth, but he himself was given a body made up of œther (astral soul). "Thenceforward he consisted of merely soul and spirit, which was the reason why the disciples did not recognize him after the resurrection. In this spiritual state of a simulacrum, Jesus remained on earth for eighteen months after he had risen. During this last sojourn, "he received from Sophia that perfect knowledge, that true Gnosis, which he communicated to the very few among the apostles who were capable of receiving the same."
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2010
        Hello, Sandy. Welcome.

        It would be helpful for others to comment and follow along if you could identify the source of the myth you summarize and provide references.

        Do you have any ideas to share about what you read?

        Cari

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "unabled" <cardboard@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Ilda-Baoth, discovering that Christos was bringing to an end his own kingdom of matter, stirred up the Jews against him, and Jesus was put to death When on the Cross, Christos and Sophia left his body and returned to their own sphere. The material body of the man Jesus was abandoned to the earth, but he himself was given a body made up of œther (astral soul). "Thenceforward he consisted of merely soul and spirit, which was the reason why the disciples did not recognize him after the resurrection. In this spiritual state of a simulacrum, Jesus remained on earth for eighteen months after he had risen. During this last sojourn, "he received from Sophia that perfect knowledge, that true Gnosis, which he communicated to the very few among the apostles who were capable of receiving the same."

      • tburns2012
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2010

> [...]
          > >
          >i received the above material via e-mail from here also and i do believe i might know the source. It appears that it might be from 'The Gnostic Bible' or 'The Other Bible' edited by Willis Barnstone & Marvin Meyer. {Or other such books}

          It is from Sethian thought, more or less but i really need to examine it closer along with the above books as to interpretation. i don't remember any '...Jews, on account of their worshipping Iurbo-Adunai' and several other references in the above have me puzzled. But I haven't read my books on Sethian Gnostic writings lately, either.
          Perhaps this is an amalgamation of different books and translations rolled into one. It is quite easy to do. Heck, i even switch things around from the Jewish & Christian Bibles. That's why i never try to start a question or answer anything complicated without having a reference near by. Unless I have to and then I stop and take a breath before doing either.
          One should never forget that just like the above religions and every other one on Earth...these writings are man's attempt to explain himself in the order/disorder around him. Original thoughts, like theology, philosophy, myths, legends...et el...tend to get distorted each time it is passed on and down through time.

          The biggest concern I have of this, and correct me if you can, is the reference to the fact that JtB was sent by Ildaboath. The way the guy writes about that part is kinda cornfusing. If Ildaboath is blocking the light why would he send JtB down here to fix it? 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' is what he probably told whoever he sent 'down here'.

          Well, just the thoughts from an old Hermetic.
          'Rave on John Donne, rave on through the writings of a Vision'- Van Morrison

        • cardboard
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 7, 2010

            Of course I visit so many pages a day it is hard to track my history.

            In order to better understand things I sort of “take out the adjectives” in order to break down a phrase into its most simple terms.

            I believe what I wrote came from here:

            http://www.wisdomworld.org/additional/christianity/ChristosSophiaAchamoth.html

            Toady I tried to learn when the god in charge changed from the creator to the Father.   Was in the New Testament?   Jesus came to make the transition?   Are there different Gnostic sects?  Like Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian? What are they?

            Sandy

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 9, 2010
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "cardboard" <cardboard@...> wrote:

              > Of course I visit so many pages a day it is hard to track my history.
              > In order to better understand things I sort of "take out the adjectives"
              > in order to break down a phrase into its most simple terms.
              > I believe what I wrote came from here:
              >
              > http://www.wisdomworld.org/additional/christianity/ChristosSophiaAchamot
              > h.html
              >

              > Toady I tried to learn when the god in charge changed from the creator
              > to the Father. Was in the New Testament? Jesus came to make the
              > transition? Are there different Gnostic sects? Like Baptist,
              > Methodist, Episcopalian? What are they?
              >
              > Sandy

              Thanks, Sandy. The ancient Gnostics believed in a sort of god above god. In various Gnostic myths the demiurge (sometimes called Ialdabaoth) was the creator or artisan of our world and was different from the ultimate, ineffable, infinite Father.

              Actually, Bentley Layton's book you mention, "The Gnostic Scriptures," is a wonderful resource. You can find discussion of various Gnostic sects and descriptions of the demiurge. Traditionally, various sects have been generally categorized as Sethian or Valentinian.

              In your travels around the internet, I don't know if you've had a chance to visit sites such as ~

              http://gnosis.org/welcome.html
              http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

              These sites offer a wealth of information, including original ancient writings.

              I'd also recommend checking out some links on our group home page, which offer information, including some introductory articles:

              Happy sleuthing,