Re: Professor Bart Erhman is non-stop

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "bill" <jake0840@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone taken a look at Erhmans latest works ? I cant grasp what the guys motives are at this point he seems to be athiest or gnositc maybe.

      I usually see Bart Ehrman described as an agnostic:

      http://edition.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/05/15/bible.critic/index.html

      Cari
    • D. Tackett
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
        As a theological student that has studied religion for several decades and worked on several degrees including a P.H.D. I have found my understanding shifting as the sands in the desert. It is hard to classify things when they are constantly failing the acid test of logic, reason and gnosis.The lies are many and the deceit is endless. This is the history of religion. Western religion for sure. Rome has created a mess that is beyond truth and built of the egotistcal human mind. Roman Christianity is a magical weave of doctrines that conceal the obvious, the Divine within all of us. I think that this is the center of Ehrman's efforts. It has become mine. Doctrine does not save, gnosis does. A gnosis that does not come from reading about it, but rather livivng it.  I have become disheartend with the treatment that gnosis receives even from it's supporters. Peace to all. D. Tackett, nazgno

      • william unowho
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
          wow ! thats your assessment as a theological major ! well I think that Im very averse to titles at this point , dont call democrat nor repub..dont call me a christian, muslim nor knostic..I simply agree that we are a part of God and he dwells within us as stated in doctrine in numerous instances . " he made us of mud and breathed life into us" .."ashes to ashes , dust to dust" and so forth. I do agree tht this is not a secret to early religious scholars and it certainly seems that the bible hides this from us and even has us back to worshiping man ! missing God.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
            hmm? im not sure anyone mentioned judging anyone..how did you articulate that ? but another question to me is he atheiest or agnostic and whats the fine granularity of the two ? One says he believes not in a God..I never really heard him say tht . the other says he believes not in religion..again i havent heard him say that either but it seems the case.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
              Ra Un Nefer ?Ive read one of his works..11 laws of Maat ? good piece but hmm..if i had to put a label on it would it be knosis ? it seems to lean toward spiritual development and not specific to a religion but then again the ancient egyptian religion is the basis for its principals. or am i digressing ?knosis can be a part of any religion it seems , based on hebrew, chrisitan and egyptian modalties ,huh ?

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
                My interest has always been the history of religious development with an emphasis on the shared traits that have been adopted by various religions. Gnostic traits being very much universal to mankind. As written in the temples of Egypt "Man know thyself".  This much as "above so below". Modern religion for the most part denies this lineage and deny it's legitimacy. Answers are found on the imprint that the Divine has left on us  and not in the pages of doctrine that refutes the most basic truths of the ancients. Mythology becomes literal truths and meanings of esoteric teachings are lost and polluted. Spiritual development is usurped for the simple doctrine of accepting and believing. The roadmap for gnosticism is lost and banished, forcing mankind deeper into his isolation from the very Divine that is inside of him. Bart Ehrman questions more than he answers. He points to fallacy without adding his personally sanctioned alternative. If you ever get a chance to hear him lecture, do it. I feel that He is at his best there. Peace! Nazgno

              • brownbagprd@netscape.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
                  An article on a CNN website stated that the reason he abandoned organized religion was that he had a bad experience with one of his child hood mentors ( a bishop of some sort). This did, however, occur after he had some education in religion.

                  :-)Neal

                  Gnostic and other Judeo-Christian materials/ subjects at

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
                    yeah..i read about struggle in the preface of one of his books. it goes on to explain the  difference between an agnostic and an athiest too