The Mandaeans, the Last Gnostics, all Weekend On Aeon Byte!!!

  • miguelconner
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 25, 2009
      Please check `The Top 10 Gnostic Stories of 2009' at http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-28537-Chicago-Gnosticism--Heretical-Spirituality-Examiner~y2009m12d22-The-top-10-Gnostic-stories-of-2009

      As for this weekend:

      Perhaps the original Gnostics, the Mandaeans are the only remaining Gnostic sect of antiquity. Who are these mysterious Semites that break so many Gnostic molds including making Jesus and Sophia the villains in the cosmic play? Are they the surviving followers of John the Baptist, which Occult Johannine Tradition claims as the true Messiah? And despite surviving for over 2000 years, the reality is that the Iraq Conflict has brought them to the brink of extinction. We study their theology and history, as well a present information on how we, as members of the Esoterica, can help their grim plight in the Middle East. An important message for the Holiday Season to our brethren who are suffering immensely.

      Astral Guest-- Nathaniel Deutsch, author of 'The Gnostic Imagination: Gnosticism, Mandaeism & Merkabah Mysticism' and Professor of Religion at Swarthmore College.

      Topics Discussed:

      --The various possibilities of the origins of the Mandaeans. Breakaway Mystic Jews? Proto-Kabbalists? John the Baptist Followers? Pre-Manichaean Zealots?
      --The mysterious rituals and culture of these Semite Gnostics that go back perhaps over two thousand years.
      --How their views actually might mirror the Classic Gnostics more than the Radical Dualistic Gnostics.
      --What are the reasons the Mandaeans believe Jesus and Moses are pawns of the evil Creator God of our universe.
      --How these `People of the Book' have been able to survive Pagan, Christian and Muslim empires without ever resorting to violence.
      --Why the fall of Sadaam was the reason that the Last Gnostics are on the brink of annihilation, with little help from any government these days.
      --What we, as private citizens, can do to help them before their wonders are erased from history by another blow of the Demiurge.

      And much more! A sober show about a tragedy that perhaps might be avoided.

      Just go to http://www.thegodabovegod.com/. The program is broadcast all weekend long. Listen to it at your convenience and peril.

      Our rebroadcast, available this and all next week, is `Aeon Byte #41—Apocalypse Nowhere'. Our astral guest was Gary Hudson, author of 'Revelation: Awakening the Christ Within' and 'The Secret Things: The Hidden Wisdom of The Gospel of Thomas'. Not only do we discuss the endtime scenario according to Gnosticism, we talk about The Book of Revelation (or the Apocalypse of John). Never has a book in the Canonical Bible stirred so much controversy and made so many people rich. Is it just a coded message against the Roman persecution or perhaps a blueprint for the carnage at the end of time? But perhaps there is a third alternative--John actually encoded an esoteric tool for spiritual death and rebirth that echoes the Gnostic keynote.

      Next week we discuss the Gnostic Knights Templar with Mark Pinkham, author of `Guardians of the Holy Grail' ,'The Truth Behind the Christ Myth' & 'The Return of the Serpents of Wisdom'. There is strong evidence suggesting that the Knights Templar weren't in the Holy Land just for holy battle but actually to collect ancient esoteric information….

      Excerpts can now be downloaded through Itunes at http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=347832278. I'll be updating frequently.

      There are over 145 past shows of Aeon Byte are available at http://www.thegodabovegod.com/shop/. Each program has a preview you can listen to it before jumping into the abyss of heresy. CD, DVD or USB Port copies in bulk, at less than half the price, can be purchased through our homepage. Bulk digital audio at your greasy fingertips can also be purchased at http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1906876. Downloading in bulk digital format is a fraction of the price. A great holiday gift! Just think of the look on the faces of your orthodox family members when they unwrap an Aeon Byte CD!!!

      Donations are always a blessing. Aeon Byte is completely non-profit. All money is invested back in the program. Please help out anyway you can. And as always, if you have holes in your pocket, let me know and I'll send you a show for not cost.

      And check out my new articles for The Examiner at http://www.examiner.com/x-28537-Chicago-Gnosticism--Heretical-Spirituality-Examiner. Please subscribe and leave little love or hate notes. I put up two or three articles, commentaries, reviews or sermonettes a week. Check in often. My newest article is `Top 10 Gnostic Stories of 2009'.

      Merry Matrix!

      Abraxas
    • D. Tackett
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2009
             The troubles facing the Mandeans have been  horrible. The Mandeans have established a church here in the Detroit area that is as strong as the Mandean nation itself. Never count them out. They have survived more than most would ever imagine. They are actually a sect of the ancient Nazareans.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 26, 2009

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "D. Tackett" <nazgno@...> wrote:

          >      The troubles facing the Mandeans have been  horrible. The Mandeans have established a church here in the Detroit area that is as strong as the Mandean nation itself. Never count them out. They have survived more than most would ever imagine. They are actually a sect of the ancient Nazareans.

          Hello, D.  I haven't had a chance yet to listen to Miguel's interview with Nathaniel Deutsch, but I did find an interesting article from this past summer, "Ancient Iraqi Mandaean sect struggles to keep culture in Michigan," by The Associated Press:

          http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2009/07/ancient_iraqi_mandaean_sect_st.html

          Cari

        • D. Tackett
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 26, 2009
            Many thanks for listing the article. I much enjoyed it. I am a gnostic Nazarean who is greatly interested in all the ancient gnostic sects. Their are only gnostics, no sects. Peace to all! Dennis.