Re: New Gostic text... how do you think it fits in with the gnostic movement?

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
      > There are modern gnostics who relate to this Valentinian approach.
      >
      > Perhaps other members have some insights. Chris, I hope your path leads you to fulfillment.
      >
      > Cari

      there are arguably "commandments" to be found in Pistis sophia...
    • Ben
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
        http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/ps/ps107.htm

        JESUS continued again in the discourse and said unto his disciples: "When I shall have gone into the Light, then herald it unto the whole world and say unto them: Cease not to seek day and night and remit not yourselves until ye find the mysteries of the Light-kingdom, which will purify you and make you into refined light and lead you into the Light-kingdom.

        "Say unto them: Renounce the whole world and the whole matter therein and all its care and all its sins, in a word all its associations which are in it, that ye may be worthy of the mysteries of the Light and be saved from all the chastisements which are in the judgments.

        "Say unto them: Renounce murmuring, that ye may be worthy of the mysteries of the Light and be saved from the fire of the dog-faced [one].

        etc
      • Rosalie Shelton
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
          Cari wrote to me:
          > For purposes of our group, would you like to share which Gnostic literature you enjoy? Also, from your readings, what do the Gnostics say about love in relation to the Gnostic conception of the ultimate Source?

          Sorry that I cannot comment on this. I have never read anything on this at all. I'll look at your files and resources but would like an explanation or some links for further reading on this issue.

          > Cari
          Hi Cari,
          Yes, I have
          • The Gnostic Gospels, Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas by Elaine Pagels
          • The Gnostic Bible by Willis Barnstone
          • The Gospel of Mary Magdalene by Jean-Yves Leloup
          • Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the… by Timothy Freke
          • If You Could See What I See: The Tenets of Novus Spiritus by Sylvia Browne
          • The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth by John Marco Allegro
          • The Nature of Good and Evil (Journey of the Soul Series,… by Sylvia Browne
          • Holy Blood Holy Grail by Michael beignet Richard Leigh & Henry Lincoln
          • Illustrated Bloodline of the Holy Grail by Laurence Gardner
          • The Gospel of Thomas: Annotated & Explained (Skylight Illuminations,) by Steven L. Davies and Andrew Harvey
          • If You Could See What I See: The Tenets of Novus Spiritus
          • Complete set for teaching a Sylvia Brown study Group plus 10 or more of her books and tapes of her sermons.
          Thanks,
          Rose
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 11, 2009
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <brbenjaminassisi@...> wrote:

            > http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/ps/ps107.htm
            >
            > JESUS continued again in the discourse and said unto his disciples: "When I shall have gone into the Light, then herald it unto the whole world and say unto them: Cease not to seek day and night and remit not yourselves until ye find the mysteries of the Light-kingdom, which will purify you and make you into refined light and lead you into the Light-kingdom.
            >
            > "Say unto them: Renounce the whole world and the whole matter therein and all its care and all its sins, in a word all its associations which are in it, that ye may be worthy of the mysteries of the Light and be saved from all the chastisements which are in the judgments.
            >
            > "Say unto them: Renounce murmuring, that ye may be worthy of the mysteries of the Light and be saved from the fire of the dog-faced [one].
            >
            > etc

            Thank you, Ben. Yes, again here we see some esoteric, initiatory instruction with the eye on the prize, so to speak, the mysteries of the Light-kingdom. There are lists of virtues to uphold and vices of the world to overcome. There is a rising above the chaos vs. working only within a perception of the division within the world. In effect, though, we don't see an escape from the world so much as a different perspective. Perhaps Chris can find some practical guidance in our examples and others.

            Also, Ben, are you or anyone else here aware of any very recent scholarship about Pistis Sophia? With the Nag Hammadi findings and development of scholarly categories of Sethian and Valentinian literature, I'm not sure how to categorize Pistis Sophia. The dating alone is difficult. I've seen ranges from second century to fourth century CE. April DeConick during past discussion on her blog called it a fourth century text and described it as a collection of random esoteric lore from numerous geographies and traditions.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 11, 2009
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Rosalie Shelton" <rosashelton@...> wrote:

              > Cari wrote to me:
              > > For purposes of our group, would you like to share which Gnostic literature you enjoy? Also, from your readings, what do the Gnostics say about love in relation to the Gnostic conception of the ultimate Source?
              >
              > Sorry that I cannot comment on this. I have never read anything on this at all. I'll look at your files and resources but would like an explanation or some links for further reading on this issue.
              > >
              > > Cari
              > Hi Cari,
              > Yes, I have
              > • The Gnostic Gospels, Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas by Elaine Pagels
              > • The Gnostic Bible by Willis Barnstone
              > • The Gospel of Mary Magdalene by Jean-Yves Leloup
              > • Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the… by Timothy Freke
              > • If You Could See What I See: The Tenets of Novus Spiritus by Sylvia Browne
              > • The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth by John Marco Allegro
              > • The Nature of Good and Evil (Journey of the Soul Series,… by Sylvia Browne
              > • Holy Blood Holy Grail by Michael beignet Richard Leigh & Henry Lincoln
              > • Illustrated Bloodline of the Holy Grail by Laurence Gardner
              > • The Gospel of Thomas: Annotated & Explained (Skylight Illuminations,) by Steven L. Davies and Andrew Harvey
              > • If You Could See What I See: The Tenets of Novus Spiritus
              > • Complete set for teaching a Sylvia Brown study Group plus 10 or more of her books and tapes of her sermons.
              > Thanks,
              > Rose

              Rose, thank you for the list. It is very helpful. You have a range of approaches reflected in your reading list. Of course, for the purposes of our group, we focus on historical Gnosticism, rather than modern interpretations such as those espoused by Sylvia Brown or Holy Blood, Holy Grail speculations.

              I asked about the conception of God you mentioned, that being "God is Love," mainly because there are many different understandings of the ultimate source or god prevalent today, even though using the same label of "gnostic". It's not that love is not important, so much as the ancient Gnostics did not equate god or source solely with love. The ultimate source basically was an unknown, and ineffable, and infinite. I'm not sure if that was your meaning or not.

              As example, in the Gnostic Bible, which you own, you can find an attempt to describe this indescribable One, starting on page 139 (The Secret Book of John). For comparison and more literature there are other compendiums of Gnostic writings, such as those by Bentley Layton and James Robinson. You can also find more texts online, too:
              http://www.gnosis.org/library.html
              http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/index.html

              Now, as far as "love" specifically, that can be seen as one aspect of the source or "Father", such as described in A Valentinian Exposition:
              http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/valex.html

              Love is an emanation from the source in The Secret Book of John.

              In Eugnostos the Blessed, "Love Sophia" is the fifth name given to the feminine aspect of one of six revealed androgynous spiritual beings.

              Also, as example, there is mention of "love" throughout The Gospel of Truth.

              Rose, I'll stop here and let you and others contribute more examples and ideas to this discussion.

              Cari
            • Brian
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 11, 2009
                Hello chris! In my opinion,I would read everything I could find the time to read. There is a good chance that ten years from now you won't be as interested in this text as you are today,but who's to say that one small piece of it will stick with you to later open a door that you couldn't have done so without it? (In my opinion) you've got to dig deep,especially at first. You may disregaurd half of what you come across, but you may find that one thing that relates to you and opens the next door. I think that would be more important than wondering how it relates to nag hammadi. How it relates to you and your path seems to be your goal,in my opinion! --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "chris_heading" <chris_heading@...> wrote:

                > Hi All…
                >
                > Does anyone know anything about this Gnostic movement? I haven't been able to find very much on it and wondered if anyone has studied it. It has a strong Gnostic basis similar to Nag Hammadi, but seem much more modern and human based in it's approach. It focuses a lot on choice and self-empowerment in steps towards transcendence and looks like it is shared in story/parable form interweaving various forms of gnosis.
                >
                > Here's the page that compares their Gnosis with other forms of gnosis. They have a book they follow called the Song of God which was written by a man named Azrael Ondi-Ahman over a 28 year period. The site also has some interesting videos on creating your own reality.
                >
                > http://www.truegnosticchurch.org/basic_beliefs.html
                >
                > I emailed the site, but have yet to get a response. I'd like to get any advice feedback before I purchase the book.
                >
                > I'm pretty intrigued and any help would be greatly appreciated.
                >
                > Thanks,

              • Rosalie Shelton
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 11, 2009
                  Hi Cari,
                  Thanks for the info and references. I copied it and I will be interested to follow those readings.
                  I just watched a video at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5783057043188740843

                  Alan Steinfeld of New Realities interviews author JJ Hurtak about his book Pistis Sophia. He also wrote the Keys of Enoch.
                  He explains Gnosticism as "A pathway seeking Divine experience to knowledge".

                  "New Realities host Alan Steinfeld interviews the legendary J.J. Hurtak, bestselling author of "The Book of Knowledge: The Keys of Enoch®", doctor, and president of The Academy For Future Science. In this interview, James J. Hurtak discusses his book The Pistis Sophia, Text and Commentary (co-authored with his wife, Desiree), which is a translation and commentary of a special collection of 2,000 year old Gnostic Coptic manuscripts, derived from ancient Egyptian-Coptic Christian Codexes."

                  Here is another helpful link to the Pistis Sophia I found on Nag Hammadi Library website: http://www.gnosis.org/library/pistis-sophia/ps005.htm
                  Gnostic Scriptures and Fragments

                  Pistis Sophia
                  Translated by G. R. S. Mead

                  Thanks,
                  Rose
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 12, 2009
                    Thank you, Rose. I'll check out that interview.

                    Cari

                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Rosalie Shelton" <rosashelton@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Cari,
                    > Thanks for the info and references. I copied it and I will be interested to follow those readings.
                    > I just watched a video at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5783057043188740843
                    >
                    > Alan Steinfeld of New Realities interviews author JJ Hurtak about his book Pistis Sophia. He also wrote the Keys of Enoch.
                    > He explains Gnosticism as "A pathway seeking Divine experience to knowledge".
                    >
                    > "New Realities host Alan Steinfeld interviews the legendary J.J. Hurtak, bestselling author of "The Book of Knowledge: The Keys of Enoch®", doctor, and president of The Academy For Future Science. In this interview, James J. Hurtak discusses his book The Pistis Sophia, Text and Commentary (co-authored with his wife, Desiree), which is a translation and commentary of a special collection of 2,000 year old Gnostic Coptic manuscripts, derived from ancient Egyptian-Coptic Christian Codexes."
                    >
                    > Here is another helpful link to the Pistis Sophia I found on Nag Hammadi Library website: http://www.gnosis.org/library/pistis-sophia/ps005.htm
                    > Gnostic Scriptures and Fragments
                    >
                    > Pistis Sophia
                    > Translated by G. R. S. Mead