Re: Is God and His works perfect?

    Message 1 of 78 , May 10 9:38 PM
      Hey DL

      >>>I have noted that Gnostic sites have people with a variety of Gnostic beliefs. Perhaps as many different types of Gnostics as there are Christian sects.<<<

      This site is a bit different from other sites in that we deal specifically with "Gnosticism" in the historical/academic sense of the word. It doesn't really have anything to do with being a freethinker or not, but simply whether one is interested to learn about the ancient Gnostics or not. You know, some people think biology is interesting while others yawn... I guess it would be the same with Gnostic history.

      Just like you, we are not here to forward any specific belief about God. Our personal views on the subject aren't the focus here.... though sometimes we do talk about whether we agree or disagree with some aspect of the ancient Gnostic systems.

      Hope that helps.
      Message 78 of 78 , May 29 3:01 PM
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <brbenjaminassisi@...> wrote:

        > > DL, you are certainly entitled to your beliefs. If you should choose to compare or contrast them to others' beliefs, however, it would a good idea to try to understand how the others interpreted their words, as Gerry mentioned. Their own words.
        > >
        > > Cari
        > >
        > Hi Cari...
        >
        > you could easily cite besides philip and sophia of Jesus regardign this subject...
        >
        > the "contradictory" nature of texts such as Thunder perfect...
        >
        > Which I think all point to a very "Gnostic truth",
        >
        > those that know do not speak
        > those that speak do not know
        >
        > for the Gnostics clearly treated their cosmological ideas as merely means to end... like staring at the sun, if you dont wear sun glasses or redirect the light through something else...and stare directly into it... you will be blinded.
        >
        > For somneone like DL new to Gnosticism and any kind of mystical insight (this may be innaccurate, however his ideas seem to scream this as a "truth")it can be very difficult to see through the illogical logic of Gnosticism and any simliar ideas..or ideas that work by making one see through the surface to a "greater idea/s"
        >
        > Of course its really easy really, as thomas says all that is hidden will be revealed....
        >
        > When is a door not a door?
        > When it is ajar...

        Truth is, Ben, I'm happy for DL and others to read any writings by the Gnostics with metaphorical glasses.