Re: Is God and His works perfect?

  • justafools
    Message 1 of 78 , May 10, 2009

      > Hey DL
      >
      > So your answer in basic....

      > I had already gathered that you don't see the universe as flawed, so this doesn't actually answer my question. My question is how you see this view in relation to the subject of this forum... i.e., Gnosticism. You talk about literalism in modern reading of "scripture". Do you think that the Gnostics intended their mythology in the same way, and therefore see their notion of "flaw" as related to modern Christianity in some way? I am mostly trying to have any thoughts about these things pertaining to the focus of this forum.
      >
      > PMCV

      I have noted that Gnostic sites have people with a variety of Gnostic beliefs. Perhaps as many different types of Gnostics as there are Christian sects. Everything from literal readers of Gnostic Gospels, quoted as truth, to more liberal free thinking Gnostics who are irreverent to all Gnostics. My view or what I am looking for is the type of Gnosticism of the Gnostic Christian variety. I take this to mean, as the old Gnostic saying goes about their relationship to the old Orthodox Church, they read white while we read black. This means that we debate the same basic scriptures but understand them differently. IE., Where they see Genesis as the fall of man, I, and this type of Gnostic will see Genesis as man succeeding in God's plan.

      The Church today and some Gnostics see the universe and man as flawed, while I see all as perfection in evolution. To me God cannot fail at anything He does, including creation.

      If free thinkers are not welcome here then I will probably not last long as a member.

      When I was a non believer with a motivated spiritual side that wanted to know the truth of our existence, I developed a theory of what had to be and this theory helped me find God from a personal and real experience and made me a believer.

      I wish to share what I know but do not try to push my God on anyone because I have no more tangible proof than anyone else has for their God, including Gnostics.

      Regards
      DL
      Message 78 of 78 , May 29, 2009
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <brbenjaminassisi@...> wrote:

        > > DL, you are certainly entitled to your beliefs. If you should choose to compare or contrast them to others' beliefs, however, it would a good idea to try to understand how the others interpreted their words, as Gerry mentioned. Their own words.
        > >
        > > Cari
        > >
        > Hi Cari...
        >
        > you could easily cite besides philip and sophia of Jesus regardign this subject...
        >
        > the "contradictory" nature of texts such as Thunder perfect...
        >
        > Which I think all point to a very "Gnostic truth",
        >
        > those that know do not speak
        > those that speak do not know
        >
        > for the Gnostics clearly treated their cosmological ideas as merely means to end... like staring at the sun, if you dont wear sun glasses or redirect the light through something else...and stare directly into it... you will be blinded.
        >
        > For somneone like DL new to Gnosticism and any kind of mystical insight (this may be innaccurate, however his ideas seem to scream this as a "truth")it can be very difficult to see through the illogical logic of Gnosticism and any simliar ideas..or ideas that work by making one see through the surface to a "greater idea/s"
        >
        > Of course its really easy really, as thomas says all that is hidden will be revealed....
        >
        > When is a door not a door?
        > When it is ajar...

        Truth is, Ben, I'm happy for DL and others to read any writings by the Gnostics with metaphorical glasses.