The Gospel of Mary all Weekend Long on Aeon Byte!!!

  • miguelconner
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2009
      It is the only extant Gnostic Scripture we have with a woman's name on it and giving her a true centerpiece. The Gospel of Mary gives us insights into the importance of Mary Magdalene as the main Apostle, the consort of the Logos, and a Marian movement in the early days of Christianity that revered women's importance. In addition, our guest grants us her views on other Gnostic works like the Gospel of Judas and The Secret Book of John. And she explains why Gnosticism is an outdated term that serves no purpose in our modern idiom.

      Astral Guest—Karen King, author of `The Gospel of Mary Magdala: Jesus and the First Woman Disciple', `What is Gnosticism' & `Reading Judas: The Gospel of Judas and the Shaping of Christianity'.

      Topics Discussed:

      --The history of how this important document was discovered.
      --Understanding the inner and outer message of the Gospel of Mary Magdalene.
      --How this Scripture represented an early Christian schism as well as a Marian cult following.
      --Gnosticism: Outdated term about a bunch of dead weird Christians that should be replaced with the more politically correct `Alternative Christianity'?
      --How the view that the Gnostics didn't believe in a fleshy Jesus is mostly a fable (whatever). Yet the radical way they interpreted the crucifixion of the Christ.
      --Karen King discusses her research on `The Secret Book of John' and `The Gospel of Judas' including allegations her scholarship was erroneous along with National Geographic.

      And much more! There's just something about Mary.

      Just go to http://www.thegodabovegod.com/. The program is broadcast all weekend long. Listen to it at your convenience.

      All past shows of Aeon Byte are available at http://www.thegodabovegod.com/shop/. Digital or CD copies in bulk can also be purchased through our homepage.

      Abraxas
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2009
        Miguel, thanks for offering this interview again. Looking at my
        haphazard notes, could you help clarify something for me, if you're
        around?

        During the section of your interview concerning Karen King's opinions
        about the terms, "Gnostic" and "Gnosticism",... ouch..., did you ask
        her or did she offer any discussion about the validity of emphasis on
        soteriological function of Gnosis as a reason for the categorical
        designation in the first place, regardless of what people might have
        called themselves? I might have missed something there.

        Also, when discussing what happened to "alternative Christians", she
        said that to a large degree their ideas are still there (in modern
        Christianity). She specifically mentioned the goodness of God, emphasis
        on the spiritual, Jesus' teachings as salvific. What about Gnosis as
        salvific? I don't see that one generally emphasized in modern
        'orthodoxy'. Actually, it was a hot topic even in ancient times.

        She also said that the idea of God as not being the creator has been
        eliminated. THAT is a BIGGIE, Miguel! :-) ...even if other notions
        like physical resurrection, etc. are debated.

        Thanks for humoring me. I'll stop now. *lol*

        Cari

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "miguelconner" <miguelconner@...>