Gnostic Miracles

  • fratermaui
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2009
      Hello Everyone

      My name is Samuel Robinson aka Frater Maui

      My scholastic knowledge of Gnosticism is quite poor so I thought perhaps this list was the perfect place to ask..

      Could anyone please tell me if there exist a definative list of all the miracles or magical happenings attributed to the Gnostic scriptures?

      I recently read 'Hermetic Magic' which compared for example one of the Egyptian Magical Papyri discussing a particular ritual, in it for example a hawk descends to 'initiate' the theurgist. It was supposed to drop a stone to be later used as a talisman. This was compared with the descending dove of Christ at the baptism. Another example of what I am looking for was another Gnostic miracle (the name escapes me now, I think it was about Simon) who saw fire descend into the waters during his baptism.. Does anyone know of such a list?

      Im referencing this in relation to the Generation of Wonders (initiatory confirmations) used by older Rosicrucian currents, such as how Elu Cohens utilised the 'passes' or miraculous occurances as signs of spiritual progression through the Kabbalistic grades..

      But like I said, Im a poor scholar when it comes to references.

      Hope someone can help me out. Sincerely, in LVX Samuel
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2009
        Hey Samuel.

        Im not aware of any list, and Gnostic texts don't seem to focus so much on the kinds of material "miracles" that one finds in the Gospels. As for the more ritual magical events like the ones you talk about, the Gnostic texts tend to deal with ritual in vague ways. They tell us just enough to know there the ritual existed, but usually not enough to know what happened in the ritual. To this day scholars disagree concerning what happens in the Bridal Chamber, for instance.

        PMCV

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "fratermaui" <fratermaui@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone
        >
        > My name is Samuel Robinson aka Frater Maui
        >
        > My scholastic knowledge of Gnosticism is quite poor so I thought perhaps this list was the perfect place to ask..
        >
        > Could anyone please tell me if there exist a definative list of all the miracles or magical happenings attributed to the Gnostic scriptures?
        >
        > I recently read 'Hermetic Magic' which compared for example one of the Egyptian Magical Papyri discussing a particular ritual, in it for example a hawk descends to 'initiate' the theurgist. It was supposed to drop a stone to be later used as a talisman. This was compared with the descending dove of Christ at the baptism. Another example of what I am looking for was another Gnostic miracle (the name escapes me now, I think it was about Simon) who saw fire descend into the waters during his baptism.. Does anyone know of such a list?
        >
        > Im referencing this in relation to the Generation of Wonders (initiatory confirmations) used by older Rosicrucian currents, such as how Elu Cohens utilised the 'passes' or miraculous occurances as signs of spiritual progression through the Kabbalistic grades..
        >
        > But like I said, Im a poor scholar when it comes to references.
        >
        > Hope someone can help me out. Sincerely, in LVX Samuel

      • Frater Maui
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2009
          Bridal Chamber

          Could you please share more about this?

          What are the speculations and perhaps some references to it in Gnostic text??

          Thanks for the lead, in LVX Samuel

        • mowthpeece@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2009
            The bridal chamber is the quintessential union of the male and female polarities, which equals unity and thus represents god completed; the ultimate goal both spiritually and physically. Some call it mystical union or uniting with the shechinah or hieros gamos or the gopis running to krishna...among other things. But its all the same thing.

            Peace
            Anna

            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2009
              Hey Samuel

              >>>Could you please share more about this?

              What are the speculations and perhaps some references to it in Gnostic text??<<<

              The Bridal Chamber is a Valentinian Rite, and it can be found mentioned in passing in a number of Valentinian texts of the Nag Hammadi library. Part of the imagery seems to be about the rejoining of the Sophia and the Logos, and the integration of the two into the individual. Some sources suggest that there was a sort of spiritual marriage invloved between two people as well, and that this was meant to be an ascetic partnership (with the heresiologists stating that the ideal was often not lived up to). Most historians that I have read agree that perhaps there was a sort of "wedding" that was celibate, but there are a few (like April DeConick) who suggest a sort of erotic initiation/sacred sex was practiced.

              PMCV
            • Frater Maui
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2009
                Thank you very much, a humble helper indeed..

                This looks like its going to be a fine forum to me.

                Blessings to your work, in LVX Samuel

                What are the speculations and perhaps some references to it in Gnostic text??<<<

                The Bridal Chamber is a Valentinian Rite, and it can be found mentioned in passing in a number of Valentinian texts of the Nag Hammadi library. Part of the imagery seems to be about the rejoining of the Sophia and the Logos, and the integration of the two into the individual. Some sources suggest that there was a sort of spiritual marriage invloved between two people as well, and that this was meant to be an ascetic partnership (with the heresiologists stating that the ideal was often not lived up to). Most historians that I have read agree that perhaps there was a sort of "wedding" that was celibate, but there are a few (like April DeConick) who suggest a sort of erotic initiation/sacred sex was practiced.

                PMCV

              • Ben
                Message 7 of 7 , May 11, 2009
                  --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, mowthpeece@... wrote:

                  > The bridal chamber is the quintessential union of the male and female polarities, which equals unity and thus represents god completed; the ultimate goal both spiritually and physically. Some call it mystical union or uniting with the shechinah or hieros gamos or the gopis running to krishna...among other things. But its all the same thing.
                  >
                  > Peace
                  > Anna

                  union of opposites... to form a virgin to give birth to Christ..

                  its prestty much the same thing as the rosicrucian vault, which I assume would be more to your understanding