Re: The Gnostic #1

  • smithandp
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2009

      > Thank you, Andrew. I used to enjoy the magazine Gnosis before it ended
      > publication years ago. I notice a mix of ancient and modern focus in
      > your journal that could prove to be interesting.
      >
      > Cari

      Thanks, Cari. Yes, I wanted a blend of material--scholarship, both amateur and academic, modern Gnosticism, creative people influenced by Gnostic ideas... Plus there's room to go off in various tangents.

      I would say that it's more focused on Gnosticism proper than Gnosis was, plus it's very much a small-press venture. Funnily enough, I just sent a comp copy to Richard Smoley today, ex-editor of Gnosis and one of my editors at Quest.

      Best Wishes,

      Andrew
    • Gnostic Ken
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
        --- On Mon, 3/30/09, smithandp <andrew@...> wrote:

        > The Gnostic #1 is finally available.
        > It includes an interview with John Turner, an expert on
        > Sethian Gnosticism, a new translation of the Gospel of
        > Judas, a whirlwind tour of the alternative Judas, and a note
        > on translational issues in the Gospel of Thomas.
        > Gnostic-influenced writers are featured heavily with a long
        > interview with Alan Moore, and an excerpt from a prose work
        > inspired by William Blake, and articles on William Burroughs
        > and Philip K. Dick. The more adventurous scholarly articles
        > include Will Parker's examination of the magical worldview,
        > a look at the figure of Judas outside of the New Testament,
        > and an examination of Paul's attitude to Moses. Jeremy
        > Puma's regular column looks at the pivotal topic of Gnosis
        > itself. Plus reviews of more than a dozen books. Oh, and an
        > excerpt from Freke and Gandy's Gospel of the Second Coming.
        > And more.
        >
        > Scott Finch, John Coulthart and Eddie Campbell provide
        > visuals.
        >
        > The easiest way to purchase it is through Amazon:
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1906834024/thegospeoftho-20
        >
        > It's also available through amazon.co.uk, most other online
        > bookstores and eventually in selected brick-and-mortar
        > bookstores. Comp copies are on their way to contributors.

        Do you mind if I forward this to GnosticThought?

        Ken
      • smithandp
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Gnostic Ken <gnostic_ken@...> wrote:

          > Do you mind if I forward this to GnosticThought?
          >
          > Ken

          Ken and everyone else, please forward it to anyone who might be interested. The Gnostic has a lot of potential and a lot of good people are contributing to it, but it would be nice to actually sell some copies too!
        • smithandp
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
            The Gnostic #1 is being discounted by Amazon, selling at $10.80 instead of $12. It qualifies for super saver shipping, so is you buy $14.20 worth of other books you get free shipping.

            I don't know how long the discounting will last.

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1906834024/thegospeoftho-20