The Gnostic #1

  • smithandp
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2009
      The Gnostic #1 is finally available.
      It includes an interview with John Turner, an expert on Sethian Gnosticism, a new translation of the Gospel of Judas, a whirlwind tour of the alternative Judas, and a note on translational issues in the Gospel of Thomas. Gnostic-influenced writers are featured heavily with a long interview with Alan Moore, and an excerpt from a prose work inspired by William Blake, and articles on William Burroughs and Philip K. Dick. The more adventurous scholarly articles include Will Parker's examination of the magical worldview, a look at the figure of Judas outside of the New Testament, and an examination of Paul's attitude to Moses. Jeremy Puma's regular column looks at the pivotal topic of Gnosis itself. Plus reviews of more than a dozen books. Oh, and an excerpt from Freke and Gandy's Gospel of the Second Coming. And more.

      Scott Finch, John Coulthart and Eddie Campbell provide visuals.

      The easiest way to purchase it is through Amazon:

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1906834024/thegospeoftho-20

      It's also available through amazon.co.uk, most other online bookstores and eventually in selected brick-and-mortar bookstores. Comp copies are on their way to contributors.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2009

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "smithandp" <andrew@...> wrote:

        > The Gnostic #1 is finally available.
        > It includes an interview with John Turner, an expert on Sethian Gnosticism, a new translation of the Gospel of Judas, a whirlwind tour of the alternative Judas, and a note on translational issues in the Gospel of Thomas. Gnostic-influenced writers are featured heavily with a long interview with Alan Moore, and an excerpt from a prose work inspired by William Blake, and articles on William Burroughs and Philip K. Dick. The more adventurous scholarly articles include Will Parker's examination of the magical worldview, a look at the figure of Judas outside of the New Testament, and an examination of Paul's attitude to Moses. Jeremy Puma's regular column looks at the pivotal topic of Gnosis itself. Plus reviews of more than a dozen books. Oh, and an excerpt from Freke and Gandy's Gospel of the Second Coming. And more.
        >
        > Scott Finch, John Coulthart and Eddie Campbell provide visuals.
        >
        > The easiest way to purchase it is through Amazon:
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1906834024/thegospeoftho-20
        >
        > It's also available through amazon.co.uk, most other online bookstores and eventually in selected brick-and-mortar bookstores. Comp copies are on their way to contributors.

        Thank you, Andrew.  I used to enjoy the magazine Gnosis before it ended publication years ago.  I notice a mix of ancient and modern focus in your journal that could prove to be interesting.

        Cari

      • smithandp
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2009

          > Thank you, Andrew. I used to enjoy the magazine Gnosis before it ended
          > publication years ago. I notice a mix of ancient and modern focus in
          > your journal that could prove to be interesting.
          >
          > Cari

          Thanks, Cari. Yes, I wanted a blend of material--scholarship, both amateur and academic, modern Gnosticism, creative people influenced by Gnostic ideas... Plus there's room to go off in various tangents.

          I would say that it's more focused on Gnosticism proper than Gnosis was, plus it's very much a small-press venture. Funnily enough, I just sent a comp copy to Richard Smoley today, ex-editor of Gnosis and one of my editors at Quest.

          Best Wishes,

          Andrew
        • Gnostic Ken
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
            --- On Mon, 3/30/09, smithandp <andrew@...> wrote:

            > The Gnostic #1 is finally available.
            > It includes an interview with John Turner, an expert on
            > Sethian Gnosticism, a new translation of the Gospel of
            > Judas, a whirlwind tour of the alternative Judas, and a note
            > on translational issues in the Gospel of Thomas.
            > Gnostic-influenced writers are featured heavily with a long
            > interview with Alan Moore, and an excerpt from a prose work
            > inspired by William Blake, and articles on William Burroughs
            > and Philip K. Dick. The more adventurous scholarly articles
            > include Will Parker's examination of the magical worldview,
            > a look at the figure of Judas outside of the New Testament,
            > and an examination of Paul's attitude to Moses. Jeremy
            > Puma's regular column looks at the pivotal topic of Gnosis
            > itself. Plus reviews of more than a dozen books. Oh, and an
            > excerpt from Freke and Gandy's Gospel of the Second Coming.
            > And more.
            >
            > Scott Finch, John Coulthart and Eddie Campbell provide
            > visuals.
            >
            > The easiest way to purchase it is through Amazon:
            >
            > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1906834024/thegospeoftho-20
            >
            > It's also available through amazon.co.uk, most other online
            > bookstores and eventually in selected brick-and-mortar
            > bookstores. Comp copies are on their way to contributors.

            Do you mind if I forward this to GnosticThought?

            Ken
          • smithandp
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Gnostic Ken <gnostic_ken@...> wrote:

              > Do you mind if I forward this to GnosticThought?
              >
              > Ken

              Ken and everyone else, please forward it to anyone who might be interested. The Gnostic has a lot of potential and a lot of good people are contributing to it, but it would be nice to actually sell some copies too!
            • smithandp
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1 4:16 AM
                The Gnostic #1 is being discounted by Amazon, selling at $10.80 instead of $12. It qualifies for super saver shipping, so is you buy $14.20 worth of other books you get free shipping.

                I don't know how long the discounting will last.

                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1906834024/thegospeoftho-20