Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Searching for knowledge

  • Br Benjamin Assisi
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2008
      well I'm not rewriting anything, I've just added alternatives/additions, to approx 1% of it....

      example, tom's work is in red here...the 1st paragraph...the rest is the work of south african  kabbalist, Jacobus Swart; and is not just copied from a kabbalah website or a book. I think this adds to the glossary as opposed to detracting from it, but still it is only 1% of the overall document

      Gematria is one of a number of methods which Kabbalists, and others I might add, employ to uncover "hidden meanings" in Hebrew words and expressions. Simply Gematria is the art of calculating the numerical value of a word by adding together the value of each letter. Once the numerical value of the word is known, words or combinations of words having the same value can be carefully scrutinized and compared. In this manner one number can become representative of several ideas, all of which are understood to be intrinsically related.

      A famous example often quoted by commentators and authors addressing this specific topic is Genesis 49:10 which reads "The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh, and unto him shall the gathering of the people be." By Gematria the words "until Shiloh" - y'voh Shiloh (Yod [10] + Bet [2] + Alef [1] + Shin [300] + Yod [10] + Lamed [30] + Heh [5] = 358), align with the Hebrew word for Messiah - Mashiach (Mem [40] + Shin  [300] + Yod [10] + Chet [8] = 358]). Hence, according to Kabbalah, there is a direct connection between the terms "until Shiloh" and "Messiah." Associated here is the Gematria of Numbers 21:9 which reads "And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the Serpent of brass, he lived." The serpent of brass is called Nachash (Nun [50] + Chet   [8] + Shin [300] = 358). So there is a connection between "Messiah," "until Shiloh," and the "Serpent of brass." Using this set of Gematria associations, Christian Kabbalists later assumed that the brazen serpent raised by Moses in the desert was a prefiguration of the Christian Saviour on the Cross. There are however other meanings such as the Nachash.

      Using Gematria, Kabbalists arrive at many remarkable Holy Names or the names of Angels, revealing the mysteries of the world of the Merkavah (the fiery Chariot Throne and the Angels). An example is that the Gematria of the entire verse of Song of Songs 6:16: "I have gone down into the nut garden," is equivalent to a verse in the Midrash (a Sacred Biblical Commentary) which reads "That is the depth of the chariot (Merkavah)."

      There is really no limit to what can be yielded by employing this simple Gematria method explained above, but over the years the application of this system became more and more complex, and many more ways of practising this art were devised. I certainly cannot go into all of them in this short missive, but I should mention that there are two schools of thought in Kabbalah regarding the use of Gematria. One favours it, the other uses it very rarely, however both of them used it, hence Gematria is a key system in the "Letter-number Mysticism" of Kabbalah.

      As said, Gematria became more and more complicated over the centuries. However, generally the most important types of Gematriot are:

      1. The numerical value of one wore is equal to another word. This is the method explained above. Another example is the word Gevurah [Severity] (Gimel [3] + Bet [2] + Vav [6] + Resh [200] + Heh [5] = 216). The Gematria of this word is equal to the word Aryeh [Lion] (Alef [1] + Resh [200] + Yod [10] + Heh [5] = 216). A connection is therefore recognized between the ideas of "Severity" and "Lion" in Hebrew.

      2.      The reduction of numbers to single units. For example the value of Shin (300) is reduced to 3 or Kaf (20) to 2.

      3.      The squared number is calculated by squaring the numerical values of each letter in a word. for example the Tetragrammaton YHVH squared equals (Yod) 102 ( Heh) 52 (Vav) 62 (Heh ) 52 which equals 186. This is in turn equated with the word Makom [Place] (Mem [40] + Kof [100] + Vav [6] + Mem [40] = 186). Makom is also a Divine Name.

      4.      Adding up the value of all letters preceding a letter in an alphabetical numerical series. For example, the letter Dalet is the fourth letter of the Hebrew letter-numbers (alphabet), and the use of this type of Gematria in this case, requires one to add the values of the letters preceding Dalet, thus 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10.

      5.     Then there is the method of Gematria termed Millui meaning "filling" or "spellings." In this method the values of the letters comprising the names of the individual letters are calculated. In Hebrew each letter is a word, and is spelled as follows:

      Alef Alef-Lamed- Peh [Feh]
      Bet
      — Bet-Yod- Tav
      Gimel
      Gimel-Mem- Lamed)
      Dalet
      Dalet- Lamed- Tav

      Heh can be spelled:
      Heh-Alef
          Heh
      -Heh
          Heh
      -Yod

      Vav can be spelled:
      Vav-Alef-Vav
          Vav-Yod-Vav
      Vav-Vav

      ZayinZayin-Yod-Nun
      Chet
      Chet-Yod-Tav
      Tet
      Tet-Yod-Tav
      Yod
      Yod-Vav-Dalet
      Kaf
      Kaf-Feh
      Lamed
      Lamed-Mem-Dalet
      Mem
      Mem-Mem
      Nun
      Nun-Vav-Nun
      Samech
      Samech-Mem-Kaf [ Chaf]
      AyinAyin-Yod-Nun
      PehPeh-Heh
      Tzadi
      Tzadi-Dalet-Yod
      Kof
      Kof-Vav-Peh [ Feh]
      ReshResh-Yod-Shin
      ShinShin-Yod-Nun
      TavTav-Vav

      Using this type of Gematria the value of Alef (Alef [1] + Lamed [30] + Feh [80]) = 111; Bet (Bet [2] + Yod [10] + Tav [400]) = 412, etcetera. These Millui or fillings are very important in the construction and permutation of Divine Names. Take for example the earlier mentioned  YHVH, in which the letter-numbers Heh and Vav have different fillings, that is different spellings. As indicated already, the letter Heh can be spelled Heh-AlefHeh-Heh or Heh-Yod, and Vav can be spelled Vav-Alef-Vav, Vav-Yod-Vav or Vav-Vav. So with these letters one can use three different kinds of fillings, traditionally called:

      Millui de-Alfin (Alef filling);
      Millui de-He'in (Heh filling); and
      Millui de-Yodin (Yod filling).

      Applying these to the Ineffable Name, YHVH, the Sacred Tetragrammaton can be varied accordingly to give the so-called "Forty-Five Letter Name of God," "Fifty-Two Letter Name of God," "Sixty-Three Letter Name of God," and "Seventy-Two Letter Name of God." In fact each of these names correspond to one of the Four Worlds of Kabbalah, respectively the worlds of Assiah, Yetzirah, Briah and Atzilut. This is done in the following manner:

      Yod-Vav-Dalet Heh-heh Vav-vav Heh-heh comprises the "Fifty-Two Letter Name of God," and in Gematria the word Ben (Bet [2] + Nun [50] = 52). The word Ben (son) is thus representative of the "Fifty-Two Letter Name of God."
      Yod-Vav-Dalet Heh-Alef Vav-Alef-Vav Heh-Alef comprises the "Forty-Five Letter Name of God," which corresponds in Gematria to the word Adam (Alef [1] + Dalet [4] + Mem [40] = 45). The word Adam (man) therefore symbolizes the "Forty-Five Letter Name of God."
      Yod-Vav-Dalet Heh-Yod Vav-Alef-Vav Heh-Yod comprises the "Sixty-Three Letter Name of God."
      Yod-Vav-Dalet Heh-Yod Vav-Yod-Vav Heh-Yod comprises the "Seventy-Two Letter Name of God," which according to some is related to what is called the "Name of Seventy-Two Names."

      Of course I have barely touched on this topic, and there are still a few Gematria techniques which I have not listed at all. This is purely because I am address more extensive details in this short message, but I hope I have been able to shed some light on this intriguing topic.

      mainly I'm adding links (which some exist, others dont.....ie a like to a wiki article on goats etc etc etc), to make it not so flat....and the occasional picture

      Tom's work is indeed partially yours...but it has expanded far beyond that

      is there a problem ?

      On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:43 PM, pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Hey Ben

      >>>theres always tom saunder's Gnostic glossary also which is online
      in vasrious places, I am currently working on a version myself,
      probably much to tom's disgust<<<

      I do want to point out that most of Tom's glossary is actually mine,
      and he says so on the page you link. Not only rewriting the
      definitions, but even including some of the terms in the context of a
      Gnosticism list could create copyright problems so it could be good to
      talk to me about it. I am generally pretty free with usage as long as
      I get some word on how it is used.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:gnosticism2-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:gnosticism2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Better than one thousand verses
      Where no profit wings the word,
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2008
        Ben

        >>>well I'm not rewriting anything, I've just added
        alternatives/additions, to approx 1% of it....

        mainly I'm adding links (which some exist, others dont.....ie a like
        to a wiki article on goats etc etc etc), to make it not so
        flat....and the occasional picture

        Tom's work is indeed partially yours...but it has expanded far
        beyond that

        is there a problem ?<<<

        Tom did expand on my lexicon...... with my permission. Some of the
        terms have nothing to do with me at all, and as long as you asked
        Tom and he gave permission then I have no problem with anything you
        do to his sections of the lexicon.