Re: Tri-Part Anthropology

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2008
      Hey Mark

      >>>I am seeking some help with regards to the origin of the three
      part human being: body - soul - spirit. I know this is a part of
      historical Gnosticism. If anyone could provide some references as to
      where this concept originated and where it is discussed in some
      Gnostic texts (or other texts), I would appreciate it.<<<

      Although Lady Cari has already delt with the issue, I would like to
      add a couple of things for the group in case there is anyone here
      who is completely unfamiliar with the idea (thanks for bringing it
      up, Mark).

      The Gnostic "tripartite" notion of human existance is generally the
      same as that found in later Platonism. As Mark states, the outline
      is usually translated "body, soul, and spirit". In Gnostic texts you
      will most often see these termed "hylic, psychic, and pneumatic"
      respectively.... though some texts may mix terms around a little
      (you can find outlines of these terms in the lexicon posted in our
      links section).

      The interesting thing about these terms is that they seem to not
      only deal with parts of the individual, but also the foci of
      individuals personally. For instance, the hylic may be the body of a
      person, but it is also a person who has a focus on the body. That is
      to say, you may be a person with a hyle, but you can also be a hylic
      person. They can be initiatory levels, not only functions of the
      person.

      One interesting version of this is in the Gospel of Philip, where
      the terms Hylic, Psychic, and Pneumatic have been given the monikers
      Gentile, Hebrew, and Christian.