Tri-Part Anthropology

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2008
      I am seeking some help with regards to the origin of the three part
      human being: body - soul - spirit. I know this is a part of historical
      Gnosticism. If anyone could provide some references as to where this
      concept originated and where it is discussed in some Gnostic texts (or
      other texts), I would appreciate it.

      Thanks,
      Mark
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2008

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <larockpitts@...> wrote:

        > I am seeking some help with regards to the origin of the three part
        > human being: body - soul - spirit. I know this is a part of historical
        > Gnosticism. If anyone could provide some references as to where this
        > concept originated and where it is discussed in some Gnostic texts (or
        > other texts), I would appreciate it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mark

        Hello, Mark.  Well, as background, we certainly see the idea of a tripartite soul in Plato's works,

        http://www.iep.utm.edu/p/plato.htm#SH6d

        and some would attribute the doctrine of tripartite soul to the Pythagoreans.

        http://www.iep.utm.edu/p/pythagor.htm

        For starters, you can scroll down in the following link to Part II about the creation of material humanity in the Tripartite Tractate to read about spiritual, psychic, and material substances:

        http://www.webcom.com/gnosis/naghamm/tripart.htm

        Perhaps you or others have more passages to share about a Gnostic version of tripartite humans.

        Cari

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2008
          Cari,

          Thank you for this. Very helpful.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2008
            Hey Mark

            >>>I am seeking some help with regards to the origin of the three
            part human being: body - soul - spirit. I know this is a part of
            historical Gnosticism. If anyone could provide some references as to
            where this concept originated and where it is discussed in some
            Gnostic texts (or other texts), I would appreciate it.<<<

            Although Lady Cari has already delt with the issue, I would like to
            add a couple of things for the group in case there is anyone here
            who is completely unfamiliar with the idea (thanks for bringing it
            up, Mark).

            The Gnostic "tripartite" notion of human existance is generally the
            same as that found in later Platonism. As Mark states, the outline
            is usually translated "body, soul, and spirit". In Gnostic texts you
            will most often see these termed "hylic, psychic, and pneumatic"
            respectively.... though some texts may mix terms around a little
            (you can find outlines of these terms in the lexicon posted in our
            links section).

            The interesting thing about these terms is that they seem to not
            only deal with parts of the individual, but also the foci of
            individuals personally. For instance, the hylic may be the body of a
            person, but it is also a person who has a focus on the body. That is
            to say, you may be a person with a hyle, but you can also be a hylic
            person. They can be initiatory levels, not only functions of the
            person.

            One interesting version of this is in the Gospel of Philip, where
            the terms Hylic, Psychic, and Pneumatic have been given the monikers
            Gentile, Hebrew, and Christian.