Re: Taxonomy of Gnostic, Proto-Gnostic, Semi-Gnostic, Pseodo-Gnostic etc..

  • thalprin
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 25, 2008
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:

      > PMCV, I'd like to say that I think this is quite an admirable
      project
      > you're working on. I also understand the desire to be as
      > historically accurate and as comprehensive as is or can be
      possible,
      > and yes I suspect that that's no small feat. I thought perhaps at
      > the moment we might like to peruse/review, so I'm sending a few
      links
      > to subjects/sites and orgs which might help or begin to help us to
      > know/assure that we're being thorough.
      >
      > Regarding the timeline, I think I'd like to offer my assistance to
      > illustrate the timeline in Photoshop - if you send me your list and
      > tell me what, specifically, you have in mind. It's not a problem,
      > think I'd enjoy to help.
      >
      > Now I'll have a look back at the list and see what we've gathered
      > thus far, and give some thought to what I might like to suggest we
      > add (if anything).
      >
      > Thalprin
      >

      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_of_Alexandria
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestorius
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenouda_the_Archimandrite
      >
      > http://www.stshenouda.com/stshenda/shenvita.htm
      > (Check out that 3rd category,)
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theopaschite_controversy
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_Christianity
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church_of_Jerusalem
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Orthodox_Churches
      >

      > Some Codex:
      > (I saw a Codex exhibit just awhile back - I was so impressed, these
      > are really such exceptional works,)
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alexandrinus
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Amiatinus
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Bezae
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Calixtinus
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Ephraemi_Rescriptus
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Sinaiticus
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_Codex
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Codex
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novgorod_Codex
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossano_Gospels
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinope_Gospels
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Genesis

      Just a little note to add; it's amazing how some of these Codex we
      have we have a/o survived because of the Cotton Library:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_library

      > http://www.vetuslatina.org/
      >
      > http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/
      >
      > http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook2.html#conc2
      >
      > http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/index.html
      >

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Thalprin (and anyone else), I am trying to work on this
      chart.
      > > Any other specific groups you would like to see included?
      > >
      > > Also, I have the timeline pretty well worked out but I am still
      > > having a hard time finding a program that will give me the
      graphic
      > > tools I need (or maybe my skill with the programs I have is what
      is
      > > lacking). Anyone want to help?
      > >
      > > PMCV
      > >
      > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking
      > > around,
      > > > I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to
      see/consider
      > > > making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the
      > family
      > > > tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins
      a/o
      > > > relatives.
      > > >
      > > > I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
      > > > affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by,
      partly
      > > > adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might
      be
      > > > most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
      > > > philosophical sense.
      > > >
      > > > Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?
      > > >
      > > > Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are
      > > > great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you
      > > do
      > > > so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good
      examples.

      > > > Thalprin

    • George
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
        Since no one has furthered this thread, I thought I would
        make minor comments about things that could be very important
        later.

        I mentioned my thoughts favorable to Josephus originating out
        of a Sadducee family.

        PMCV's response was "I have heard some recent speculation about that
        possibility but Josephus himself speaks of the Sadducees in negative
        terms and doesn't seem to include himself amongst their number."

        This is much like someone who went to parochial (Catholic) school
        and then grew up to join a Protestant denomination. Negative
        comments would be expected. As to "speculation", it is almost
        certain that Josephus was Sadducee, since it is not a CHOICE
        to become a Sadducee, and he was quite specific about trying
        the three main Jewish "schools". In his work LIFE (books 10-12),
        he discusses the Pharisees and the Essenes in detail. But
        there is no comment about him being a Sadducee.

        This leaves us with the simple conclusion that he didn't need
        to: he was RAISED a Sadduccee (there really wasn't any other
        way to become one - - other than by marriage one supposes).

        In reference to Dositheus, PMCV writes:
        "Several heresiological sources state that he was a Samaritan, and
        the Dosithean sect is referred to as a form of Samaritanism in both
        Jewish and Arabic accounts."

        Regards,

        George
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 14, 2008
          George

          >>>Since no one has furthered this thread, I thought I would
          make minor comments about things that could be very important
          later.

          <snipped for brevity>

          This leaves us with the simple conclusion that he didn't need
          to: he was RAISED a Sadduccee (there really wasn't any other
          way to become one - - other than by marriage one supposes).<<<

          Certianly one of a number of possibilities that scholars debate.
          Obviously neither the Sadducees nor Josephus were Gnostics, but since
          we are dealing with that time period perhaps they will come up now and
          again.

          >>>In reference to Dositheus, PMCV writes:
          "Several heresiological sources state that he was a Samaritan, and
          the Dosithean sect is referred to as a form of Samaritanism in both
          Jewish and Arabic accounts."<<<

          I was a little confused by your quoting me above. It doesn't seem to
          relate to your point above, so I am wondering if you intended to add a
          response and maybe forgot?