Re: A fresh start

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008

      Brother George and Brother Ben,

      Since the focus of this forum is the decision of its moderators, I feel inclined to briefly interject my thoughts here.

      You both have been members here for a while, so I find this conversation rather puzzling.  Not only do new members receive a letter specifically discussing our focus, but we also provide a statement on our homepage that you might want to review, which serves to further remind members and readers of our focus.

      That said, regarding your query, George:

      Indeed, I had worked under the assumption that we were looking
      for what was the central CORE of these various groups, rather
      than an historical view of who, and what, and where.

      I presume I was in error?

      And Ben's reply:

      in this group yes,

      Ben, I disagree.  I do not view any of these subjects George lists as mutually exclusive, as long as members remember that we discuss such matters and any modern day comparisons and interests in direct relation to the context of these historical groups of the Late Antiquities.  We offer a focus with the understanding that this provides but one important aspect and perspective within the huge subject of spirituality.

      We have had umpteen discussions and complaints about focus in this group.  I imagine I am not the only one who is tired of these recurring conversations.

      Therefore, I suggest that if you are interested in a subject appropriate to our group, please feel free to start a thread and we moderators will step in to guide if the subject gets too far off base.

      If anyone has any problems with our focus, then no one is twisting their arm to enter conversation.  It's that simple.

      Thank you.

      Cari

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
        >>>Therefore, I suggest that if you are interested in a subject
        appropriate to our group, please feel free to start a thread and we
        moderators will step in to guide if the subject gets too far off
        base.<<<

        It seems that Lady Cari has pointed to the obvious next step, so I
        will leave it at that and move from this conversation to the two that
        do relate to our focus. Thanks for keeping us on track, Lady Cari.

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008

          > […]
          >
          > We have had umpteen discussions and complaints about focus in this
          > group. I imagine I am not the only one who is tired of these recurring
          > conversations.
          >

          > Cari

          Only umpteen?  Geez!  Strange how it has seemed more like a gazillion, innit.

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
            Hey George

            a more modern period?<<<

            If I recall the Messina definition simply states "the Late
            Antiquities" as an attribute of the "Gnosticism" category (up to about
            500 C.E. was the common date). However, since that time it seems most
            scholars have dealt with the issue more on the front of specific
            belief systems. This is probably more reasonable since if we found a
            text by a Sethian sect still existing in the Medieval era we would
            have to include it.

            The more important attributes that scholars generally look at as
            definitive include cosmology/cosmogeny, soteriology, and a specific
            cultural origin (Hellenistic/"Biblical" syncratism).

            PMCV
          • Mark
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 25, 2008
              "a bit like a muslim studying catholicism"

              No, more like a modern gnostic studying his (or her) roots in
              historical Gnosticism. Many things are useful to a point--and the
              point is often knowing that point. The flaw may be in your
              expectations and not in the purpose of this list.

              Mark