Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: A fresh start

  • Br Benjamin Assisi
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
      in this group yes,

      this group is very much just a study/history group...

      interesting I guess...but flawed, a bit like a muslim studying catholicism

      useful to a point.

      Arguing at the AGCA??? We are discussing a central core, well I am trying to attempt one, Personally It think there are few "universals" in Gnosticism unknowable god, illusion, no dogma etc.  I dont find any problem in seeing that out side "Gnosticism" either... But I realize in this group and others, its mostly an exercise in separation, putting that substance in a centrifuge and seeing what you get.  So I am here to lurk mostly...

      On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 3:02 PM, George <historynow2002@...> wrote:
      Brother Benjamin:

      Indeed, I had worked under the assumption that we were looking
      for what was the central CORE of these various groups, rather
      than an historical view of who, and what, and where.

      I presume I was in error?

      Regards,

      George

      --
      Better than one thousand verses
      Where no profit wings the word,
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008

        Brother George and Brother Ben,

        Since the focus of this forum is the decision of its moderators, I feel inclined to briefly interject my thoughts here.

        You both have been members here for a while, so I find this conversation rather puzzling.  Not only do new members receive a letter specifically discussing our focus, but we also provide a statement on our homepage that you might want to review, which serves to further remind members and readers of our focus.

        That said, regarding your query, George:

        Indeed, I had worked under the assumption that we were looking
        for what was the central CORE of these various groups, rather
        than an historical view of who, and what, and where.

        I presume I was in error?

        And Ben's reply:

        in this group yes,

        Ben, I disagree.  I do not view any of these subjects George lists as mutually exclusive, as long as members remember that we discuss such matters and any modern day comparisons and interests in direct relation to the context of these historical groups of the Late Antiquities.  We offer a focus with the understanding that this provides but one important aspect and perspective within the huge subject of spirituality.

        We have had umpteen discussions and complaints about focus in this group.  I imagine I am not the only one who is tired of these recurring conversations.

        Therefore, I suggest that if you are interested in a subject appropriate to our group, please feel free to start a thread and we moderators will step in to guide if the subject gets too far off base.

        If anyone has any problems with our focus, then no one is twisting their arm to enter conversation.  It's that simple.

        Thank you.

        Cari

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
          >>>Therefore, I suggest that if you are interested in a subject
          appropriate to our group, please feel free to start a thread and we
          moderators will step in to guide if the subject gets too far off
          base.<<<

          It seems that Lady Cari has pointed to the obvious next step, so I
          will leave it at that and move from this conversation to the two that
          do relate to our focus. Thanks for keeping us on track, Lady Cari.

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008

            > […]
            >
            > We have had umpteen discussions and complaints about focus in this
            > group. I imagine I am not the only one who is tired of these recurring
            > conversations.
            >

            > Cari

            Only umpteen?  Geez!  Strange how it has seemed more like a gazillion, innit.

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
              Hey George

              a more modern period?<<<

              If I recall the Messina definition simply states "the Late
              Antiquities" as an attribute of the "Gnosticism" category (up to about
              500 C.E. was the common date). However, since that time it seems most
              scholars have dealt with the issue more on the front of specific
              belief systems. This is probably more reasonable since if we found a
              text by a Sethian sect still existing in the Medieval era we would
              have to include it.

              The more important attributes that scholars generally look at as
              definitive include cosmology/cosmogeny, soteriology, and a specific
              cultural origin (Hellenistic/"Biblical" syncratism).

              PMCV
            • Mark
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 25, 2008
                "a bit like a muslim studying catholicism"

                No, more like a modern gnostic studying his (or her) roots in
                historical Gnosticism. Many things are useful to a point--and the
                point is often knowing that point. The flaw may be in your
                expectations and not in the purpose of this list.

                Mark