The Ancient Communities Categorized as "Gnostic"

  • George
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 23 11:59 AM
      Perhaps I had forgotten, or perhaps I never realized,
      that the focus on the group was on the ancient groups.

      a more modern period?

      Regards,

      George
    • George
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 23 12:02 PM
        Brother Benjamin:

        Indeed, I had worked under the assumption that we were looking
        for what was the central CORE of these various groups, rather
        than an historical view of who, and what, and where.

        I presume I was in error?

        Regards,

        George
      • Br Benjamin Assisi
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 24 7:04 AM
          in this group yes,

          this group is very much just a study/history group...

          interesting I guess...but flawed, a bit like a muslim studying catholicism

          useful to a point.

          Arguing at the AGCA??? We are discussing a central core, well I am trying to attempt one, Personally It think there are few "universals" in Gnosticism unknowable god, illusion, no dogma etc.  I dont find any problem in seeing that out side "Gnosticism" either... But I realize in this group and others, its mostly an exercise in separation, putting that substance in a centrifuge and seeing what you get.  So I am here to lurk mostly...

          --
          Better than one thousand verses
          Where no profit wings the word,
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 24 10:21 AM

            Brother George and Brother Ben,

            Since the focus of this forum is the decision of its moderators, I feel inclined to briefly interject my thoughts here.

            You both have been members here for a while, so I find this conversation rather puzzling.  Not only do new members receive a letter specifically discussing our focus, but we also provide a statement on our homepage that you might want to review, which serves to further remind members and readers of our focus.

            That said, regarding your query, George:

            Indeed, I had worked under the assumption that we were looking
            for what was the central CORE of these various groups, rather
            than an historical view of who, and what, and where.

            I presume I was in error?

            And Ben's reply:

            in this group yes,

            Ben, I disagree.  I do not view any of these subjects George lists as mutually exclusive, as long as members remember that we discuss such matters and any modern day comparisons and interests in direct relation to the context of these historical groups of the Late Antiquities.  We offer a focus with the understanding that this provides but one important aspect and perspective within the huge subject of spirituality.

            We have had umpteen discussions and complaints about focus in this group.  I imagine I am not the only one who is tired of these recurring conversations.

            Therefore, I suggest that if you are interested in a subject appropriate to our group, please feel free to start a thread and we moderators will step in to guide if the subject gets too far off base.

            If anyone has any problems with our focus, then no one is twisting their arm to enter conversation.  It's that simple.

            Thank you.

            Cari

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 24 1:28 PM
              >>>Therefore, I suggest that if you are interested in a subject
              appropriate to our group, please feel free to start a thread and we
              moderators will step in to guide if the subject gets too far off
              base.<<<

              It seems that Lady Cari has pointed to the obvious next step, so I
              will leave it at that and move from this conversation to the two that
              do relate to our focus. Thanks for keeping us on track, Lady Cari.

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 24 2:25 PM

                > […]
                >
                > We have had umpteen discussions and complaints about focus in this
                > group. I imagine I am not the only one who is tired of these recurring
                > conversations.
                >

                > Cari

                Only umpteen?  Geez!  Strange how it has seemed more like a gazillion, innit.

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 24 4:00 PM
                  Hey George

                  a more modern period?<<<

                  If I recall the Messina definition simply states "the Late
                  Antiquities" as an attribute of the "Gnosticism" category (up to about
                  500 C.E. was the common date). However, since that time it seems most
                  scholars have dealt with the issue more on the front of specific
                  belief systems. This is probably more reasonable since if we found a
                  text by a Sethian sect still existing in the Medieval era we would
                  have to include it.

                  The more important attributes that scholars generally look at as
                  definitive include cosmology/cosmogeny, soteriology, and a specific
                  cultural origin (Hellenistic/"Biblical" syncratism).

                  PMCV
                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 25 3:55 PM
                    "a bit like a muslim studying catholicism"

                    No, more like a modern gnostic studying his (or her) roots in
                    historical Gnosticism. Many things are useful to a point--and the
                    point is often knowing that point. The flaw may be in your
                    expectations and not in the purpose of this list.

                    Mark