Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: A fresh start

  • Br Benjamin Assisi
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
      I think the focus of the forum is largely one sided, dry and imbalanced

      BUT

      I wouldnt be here if I didnt see any value in it

      On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 7:41 PM, pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Ben

      >>>isnt that heresy in this group? lol<<<

      Do you support the focus of this forum within the context of this
      forum?

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:gnosticism2-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:gnosticism2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Better than one thousand verses
      Where no profit wings the word,
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
        yes that rule seems rather silly

        like going to a grocer, buying a pound of apples and refusing to eat them

        but its your group..if you wish it to be divorced that is your choice
        On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 7:59 PM, pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Let me be the first to point out that my own path is also not
        technically Gnostic (in the historic sense of the word), and I don't
        talk about it here. If I, one of the mods, am not allowed to blather
        on about my own path here.... don't you think that rule applies to
        others as well?

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
          Ben

          >>>yes that rule seems rather silly like going to a grocer, buying a
          pound of apples and refusing to eat them but its your group..<<<

          Just because we don't jump to the floor and eat our apples right
          there in the produce section does not mean we don't know what an
          apple can be. You seem to imply that a scientist who is looking at
          the botanical nature of an apple is somehow unable to enjoy the
          flavor. Be careful about the assumptions you make.

          >>>if you wish it to be divorced that is your choice<<<

          Yes, thank you, it is our choice. Not only that, even if you don't
          understand it there could be a good reason for it. The only thing
          you have to figure out is whether you can support it or not.

          >>>I think the focus of the forum is largely one sided, dry and
          imbalanced BUT I wouldnt be here if I didnt see any value in it<<<

          Good, then foster that value rather than undermining it.

          PMCV
        • George
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 23, 2008
            Perhaps I had forgotten, or perhaps I never realized,
            that the focus on the group was on the ancient groups.

            a more modern period?

            Regards,

            George
          • George
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 23, 2008
              Brother Benjamin:

              Indeed, I had worked under the assumption that we were looking
              for what was the central CORE of these various groups, rather
              than an historical view of who, and what, and where.

              I presume I was in error?

              Regards,

              George
            • Br Benjamin Assisi
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
                in this group yes,

                this group is very much just a study/history group...

                interesting I guess...but flawed, a bit like a muslim studying catholicism

                useful to a point.

                Arguing at the AGCA??? We are discussing a central core, well I am trying to attempt one, Personally It think there are few "universals" in Gnosticism unknowable god, illusion, no dogma etc.  I dont find any problem in seeing that out side "Gnosticism" either... But I realize in this group and others, its mostly an exercise in separation, putting that substance in a centrifuge and seeing what you get.  So I am here to lurk mostly...

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008

                  Brother George and Brother Ben,

                  Since the focus of this forum is the decision of its moderators, I feel inclined to briefly interject my thoughts here.

                  You both have been members here for a while, so I find this conversation rather puzzling.  Not only do new members receive a letter specifically discussing our focus, but we also provide a statement on our homepage that you might want to review, which serves to further remind members and readers of our focus.

                  That said, regarding your query, George:

                  Indeed, I had worked under the assumption that we were looking
                  for what was the central CORE of these various groups, rather
                  than an historical view of who, and what, and where.

                  I presume I was in error?

                  And Ben's reply:

                  in this group yes,

                  Ben, I disagree.  I do not view any of these subjects George lists as mutually exclusive, as long as members remember that we discuss such matters and any modern day comparisons and interests in direct relation to the context of these historical groups of the Late Antiquities.  We offer a focus with the understanding that this provides but one important aspect and perspective within the huge subject of spirituality.

                  We have had umpteen discussions and complaints about focus in this group.  I imagine I am not the only one who is tired of these recurring conversations.

                  Therefore, I suggest that if you are interested in a subject appropriate to our group, please feel free to start a thread and we moderators will step in to guide if the subject gets too far off base.

                  If anyone has any problems with our focus, then no one is twisting their arm to enter conversation.  It's that simple.

                  Thank you.

                  Cari

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
                    >>>Therefore, I suggest that if you are interested in a subject
                    appropriate to our group, please feel free to start a thread and we
                    moderators will step in to guide if the subject gets too far off
                    base.<<<

                    It seems that Lady Cari has pointed to the obvious next step, so I
                    will leave it at that and move from this conversation to the two that
                    do relate to our focus. Thanks for keeping us on track, Lady Cari.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008

                      > […]
                      >
                      > We have had umpteen discussions and complaints about focus in this
                      > group. I imagine I am not the only one who is tired of these recurring
                      > conversations.
                      >

                      > Cari

                      Only umpteen?  Geez!  Strange how it has seemed more like a gazillion, innit.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
                        Hey George

                        a more modern period?<<<

                        If I recall the Messina definition simply states "the Late
                        Antiquities" as an attribute of the "Gnosticism" category (up to about
                        500 C.E. was the common date). However, since that time it seems most
                        scholars have dealt with the issue more on the front of specific
                        belief systems. This is probably more reasonable since if we found a
                        text by a Sethian sect still existing in the Medieval era we would
                        have to include it.

                        The more important attributes that scholars generally look at as
                        definitive include cosmology/cosmogeny, soteriology, and a specific
                        cultural origin (Hellenistic/"Biblical" syncratism).

                        PMCV
                      • Mark
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 25, 2008
                          "a bit like a muslim studying catholicism"

                          No, more like a modern gnostic studying his (or her) roots in
                          historical Gnosticism. Many things are useful to a point--and the
                          point is often knowing that point. The flaw may be in your
                          expectations and not in the purpose of this list.

                          Mark