Re: A fresh start

  • George
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008
      Br. Assisi:

      What are my views? Well, that is a wide open question, yes?

      I would say that my principle view is that the various ancient
      Christian and/or Jewish groups that we group together as gnostics
      are a SUB-set of all Gnostic schools.

      While elements such as "Aeons" are shared amongst these ancient
      groups, they are not the defining element for gnosticism.

      For me, the defining element is that by coming to know the
      great source of all life and mind, one no longer needs
      the shell of mortal body - - whether this is discovered while still
      in a mortal body, or as some sort of spirit after leaving
      the body.

      Regards,

      George

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Br Benjamin Assisi"
      <brbenjaminassisi@...> wrote:

      > what are your views?
      >
      > On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:35 PM, George <historynow2002@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Time has passed, passions have cooled, so I thought I might
      > > join in discussion once again.
      > >
      > > Are there any questions about my views that members feel I need
      > > to address before I start introducing a new topic here or there?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >

      > > George
      > >

      > --
      > Better than one thousand verses
      > Where no profit wings the word,
      > Is one solitary stanza
      > Bringing peace of mind when heard.

    • Br Benjamin Assisi
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
        hi George, so are you saying, the mechanics of the spiritual practises of these groups are more important than the history in defining them?

        isnt that heresy in this group? lol

        maybe I misunderstand

        <brbenjaminassisi@...> wrote:

        > what are your views?
        >
        > On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:35 PM, George <historynow2002@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Time has passed, passions have cooled, so I thought I might
        > > join in discussion once again.
        > >
        > > Are there any questions about my views that members feel I need
        > > to address before I start introducing a new topic here or there?
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >

        > > George
        > >

        > --
        > Better than one thousand verses
        > Where no profit wings the word,
        > Is one solitary stanza
        > Bringing peace of mind when heard.

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mailto:gnosticism2-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mailto:gnosticism2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
          George

          >>>What are my views? Well, that is a wide open question, yes?<<<

          Not so wide, since the focus of this forum is quite specific. In
          that context the real question would have to be.... what are your
          views as they pertain to the focus of this forum? ;)

          >>>I would say that my principle view is that the various ancient
          Christian and/or Jewish groups that we group together as gnostics
          are a SUB-set of all Gnostic schools.<<<

          For the sake of this forum we use the disambiguation more generally
          accepted in the academic community. This is simply to refine a
          shared lingo for the sake of conversation. I believe we are all
          aware of the old maxim that a good teacher knows how to speak in the
          language of the community being spoken to, so I am sure you are
          making every attempt to genuinely learn our vocabulary. In this
          forum, the capitol "G" Gnosticism refers specifically to the
          category of traditional groups defined in the field of Nag Hammadi
          studies. I state this because I was unsure whether the fact that you
          switched the common noun and the proper noun in your sentence above
          was intentional or just a typo.

          As I stated previously, we can adjust terms slightly here and there
          for the sake of conversation but the base method needs to remain the
          same. After all, this is one of the last forums on the entire net
          that keeps this focus. Disregarding our focus in conversation here
          trolling as Br Joseph states in one of Ben's forums.

          Like the Mandaeans, we are an endangered group. I'm sure you would
          rather foster our focus rather than attempt to destroy our identity.

          PMCV
        • Br Benjamin Assisi
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
            how on earth do you see the golden dawn related to the focus of this group?

            On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:25 PM, pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            George

            >>>What are my views? Well, that is a wide open question, yes?<<<

            Not so wide, since the focus of this forum is quite specific. In
            that context the real question would have to be.... what are your
            views as they pertain to the focus of this forum? ;)

            >>>I would say that my principle view is that the various ancient
            Christian and/or Jewish groups that we group together as gnostics
            are a SUB-set of all Gnostic schools.<<<

            For the sake of this forum we use the disambiguation more generally
            accepted in the academic community. This is simply to refine a
            shared lingo for the sake of conversation. I believe we are all
            aware of the old maxim that a good teacher knows how to speak in the
            language of the community being spoken to, so I am sure you are
            making every attempt to genuinely learn our vocabulary. In this
            forum, the capitol "G" Gnosticism refers specifically to the
            category of traditional groups defined in the field of Nag Hammadi
            studies. I state this because I was unsure whether the fact that you
            switched the common noun and the proper noun in your sentence above
            was intentional or just a typo.

            As I stated previously, we can adjust terms slightly here and there
            for the sake of conversation but the base method needs to remain the
            same. After all, this is one of the last forums on the entire net
            that keeps this focus. Disregarding our focus in conversation here
            trolling as Br Joseph states in one of Ben's forums.

            Like the Mandaeans, we are an endangered group. I'm sure you would
            rather foster our focus rather than attempt to destroy our identity.

            Religion & Beliefs/Gnosticism: 'Spiritual Awakening' explores the World of Spirit...

            Golden-Dawn-Forum-World-Wide (52 common members)
            Religion & Beliefs/Mysticism: The ultimate group for serious classical Golden Da...

            DharmaGnosis (45 common members)
            Religion & Beliefs/Gnosticism: on a quest to learn, and to unlearn to find resona...

            TheDivineGroundOfBeing (41 common members)
            Religion & Beliefs/Radhasoami: This is a group for souls interested in God, Medit...

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
              Ben

              >>>isnt that heresy in this group? lol<<<

              Do you support the focus of this forum within the context of this
              forum?

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
                Ben

                >>>how on earth do you see the golden dawn related to the focus of
                this group?<<<

                I don't.

                More specifically (and we do like to be specific here), if you were
                literally asking how the focus of this forum could be "related" to the
                Golden Dawn, then I guess one could argue that they are both esoteric
                systems. On the other hand, if you were asking whether extended
                conversation about the Golden Dawn is welcome here.... no, it isn't.
                Not unless it is done explicitely to compare/contrast it to
                traditional Gnostic ideas.

                Let me be the first to point out that my own path is also not
                technically Gnostic (in the historic sense of the word), and I don't
                talk about it here. If I, one of the mods, am not allowed to blather
                on about my own path here.... don't you think that rule applies to
                others as well?

                PMCV
              • Br Benjamin Assisi
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
                  I think the focus of the forum is largely one sided, dry and imbalanced

                  BUT

                  I wouldnt be here if I didnt see any value in it

                  Ben

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
                    yes that rule seems rather silly

                    like going to a grocer, buying a pound of apples and refusing to eat them

                    but its your group..if you wish it to be divorced that is your choice

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
                      Ben

                      >>>yes that rule seems rather silly like going to a grocer, buying a
                      pound of apples and refusing to eat them but its your group..<<<

                      Just because we don't jump to the floor and eat our apples right
                      there in the produce section does not mean we don't know what an
                      apple can be. You seem to imply that a scientist who is looking at
                      the botanical nature of an apple is somehow unable to enjoy the
                      flavor. Be careful about the assumptions you make.

                      >>>if you wish it to be divorced that is your choice<<<

                      Yes, thank you, it is our choice. Not only that, even if you don't
                      understand it there could be a good reason for it. The only thing
                      you have to figure out is whether you can support it or not.

                      >>>I think the focus of the forum is largely one sided, dry and
                      imbalanced BUT I wouldnt be here if I didnt see any value in it<<<

                      Good, then foster that value rather than undermining it.

                      PMCV
                    • George
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 23, 2008
                        Perhaps I had forgotten, or perhaps I never realized,
                        that the focus on the group was on the ancient groups.

                        a more modern period?

                        Regards,

                        George
                      • George
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 23, 2008
                          Brother Benjamin:

                          Indeed, I had worked under the assumption that we were looking
                          for what was the central CORE of these various groups, rather
                          than an historical view of who, and what, and where.

                          I presume I was in error?

                          Regards,

                          George
                        • Br Benjamin Assisi
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
                            in this group yes,

                            this group is very much just a study/history group...

                            interesting I guess...but flawed, a bit like a muslim studying catholicism

                            useful to a point.

                            Arguing at the AGCA??? We are discussing a central core, well I am trying to attempt one, Personally It think there are few "universals" in Gnosticism unknowable god, illusion, no dogma etc.  I dont find any problem in seeing that out side "Gnosticism" either... But I realize in this group and others, its mostly an exercise in separation, putting that substance in a centrifuge and seeing what you get.  So I am here to lurk mostly...

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008

                              Brother George and Brother Ben,

                              Since the focus of this forum is the decision of its moderators, I feel inclined to briefly interject my thoughts here.

                              You both have been members here for a while, so I find this conversation rather puzzling.  Not only do new members receive a letter specifically discussing our focus, but we also provide a statement on our homepage that you might want to review, which serves to further remind members and readers of our focus.

                              That said, regarding your query, George:

                              Indeed, I had worked under the assumption that we were looking
                              for what was the central CORE of these various groups, rather
                              than an historical view of who, and what, and where.

                              I presume I was in error?

                              And Ben's reply:

                              in this group yes,

                              Ben, I disagree.  I do not view any of these subjects George lists as mutually exclusive, as long as members remember that we discuss such matters and any modern day comparisons and interests in direct relation to the context of these historical groups of the Late Antiquities.  We offer a focus with the understanding that this provides but one important aspect and perspective within the huge subject of spirituality.

                              We have had umpteen discussions and complaints about focus in this group.  I imagine I am not the only one who is tired of these recurring conversations.

                              Therefore, I suggest that if you are interested in a subject appropriate to our group, please feel free to start a thread and we moderators will step in to guide if the subject gets too far off base.

                              If anyone has any problems with our focus, then no one is twisting their arm to enter conversation.  It's that simple.

                              Thank you.

                              Cari

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
                                >>>Therefore, I suggest that if you are interested in a subject
                                appropriate to our group, please feel free to start a thread and we
                                moderators will step in to guide if the subject gets too far off
                                base.<<<

                                It seems that Lady Cari has pointed to the obvious next step, so I
                                will leave it at that and move from this conversation to the two that
                                do relate to our focus. Thanks for keeping us on track, Lady Cari.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008

                                  > […]
                                  >
                                  > We have had umpteen discussions and complaints about focus in this
                                  > group. I imagine I am not the only one who is tired of these recurring
                                  > conversations.
                                  >

                                  > Cari

                                  Only umpteen?  Geez!  Strange how it has seemed more like a gazillion, innit.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
                                    Hey George

                                    a more modern period?<<<

                                    If I recall the Messina definition simply states "the Late
                                    Antiquities" as an attribute of the "Gnosticism" category (up to about
                                    500 C.E. was the common date). However, since that time it seems most
                                    scholars have dealt with the issue more on the front of specific
                                    belief systems. This is probably more reasonable since if we found a
                                    text by a Sethian sect still existing in the Medieval era we would
                                    have to include it.

                                    The more important attributes that scholars generally look at as
                                    definitive include cosmology/cosmogeny, soteriology, and a specific
                                    cultural origin (Hellenistic/"Biblical" syncratism).

                                    PMCV
                                  • Mark
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 25, 2008
                                      "a bit like a muslim studying catholicism"

                                      No, more like a modern gnostic studying his (or her) roots in
                                      historical Gnosticism. Many things are useful to a point--and the
                                      point is often knowing that point. The flaw may be in your
                                      expectations and not in the purpose of this list.

                                      Mark