Gnosticism and Syncretism this Week on CCG!!!

  • miguelconner
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2008
      Syncretism and Gnosticism. Although Gnosticism traditionally borrowed
      from various faiths, mythologies and philosophies, is it possible to
      be a modern Gnostic and still be true to its ancient, syncretic
      tenets? Does drawing upon other religions hinder or help the Gnostic
      revival? When do we draw the line between adhering to another dogma
      and selling out Gnostic principles? Our guest reveals the perils and
      opportunities of combining ideologies. He also claims that it's
      natural to be both a Catholic and Gnostic; there is actually less of a
      divide than ever imagined. We also take a look at how modern
      Gnosticism has not been loyal to the Gnosticism practice in the First
      and Second Century.

      Astral Guest--Jesse Christopher, cofounder of The Palm Tree Garden and
      writer for the new 'The Gnostic Magazine'.

      Topics Discussed:

      --Jesse's evolution from Catholic, atheist and finally a
      Catholic/Gnostic (and how be balances it out)
      --Why Gnosticism lends itself to easily borrowing from other faiths
      and traditions.
      --How Catholicism and Gnosticism sprouted from the same tradition,
      albeit with different interpretations.
      --The fable that women held high positions in Gnosticism.
      --When does taking from other religions compromise Gnosticism?
      --Sin and Satan…not in Nag Hammadi Library…think again.
      --How faith is almost as important as gnosis itself.
      --Mistakes modern Gnostics make by ignoring historical facts.

      And much more! Catholic propaganda or the real steak and potatoes?
      We blaspheme, you decide.

      As always to access the show:

      --Go to my homepage http://www.thegodabovegod.com/
      --Scroll down until you see the Stickam screen (the eye with the
      bloody tear).
      --Click the music icon and voila…'Coffee, Cigarettes & Gnosis #89—
      Gnosticism and Syncretism' will appear in its entirety!

      Our rebroadcast is `CCG #43-- Gnostic Influence in the Middle Ages'.
      Our guest was Richard Smoley, author of 'Forbidden Faith: The Gnostic
      Legacy', 'Inner Christianity: A Guide to the Esoteric Tradition',
      'Hidden Wisdom: A Guide to the Western Inner Traditions' and editor of
      Quest Books and former editor of Gnosis.

      Gnosticism, despite its savage suppression, has played an important
      role in the development of Western ideas, from the Renaissance to the
      esoteric revivals of the 19th and 20th century. We take an efficient
      outing of the Gnostic legacy in history.

      Topics Discussed:

      --How a Gnostic spark was essential in bringing about the Renaissance.
      --The influence of the Kabbalah and Hermetical ideals that shaped
      Christian and loosened Christian theology into the Enlightenment Period.
      --How beans (yes beans) point to the fact that all mystery religions
      originated in Egypt.
      --We revisit the Troubadours and their revival of Romantic Love that
      changed Western Civilization (for better or worse).
      --A look into the origins of the Rosicrucians and their Christian gnosis.
      --How many enlightenment figures were actually influence by the
      Hermetical Ideals as much as rationality (just one is example Des
      Cartes, who was a Rosicrucian).
      --We comb through the various secret societies like the Freemasons and
      how their Hermetical Ideals broke the back of The Church.
      --How the discovery of the Pistis Sophia gave birth to the occult
      movements of the 19th century including the rise of the Theosophical
      Society.
      --Elaine Pagels--more important than the Nag Hammadi Library in
      resuscitating Gnosticism?

      -And much, much more! Richard does not play around with his keen
      scholarship.

      There are over eighty-five shows for download at our homepage on all
      things Gnostic and its brethren in the Esoterica. We have over forty
      of the leading scholars and Gnostic sages of our days including
      Stephan Hoeller, Timothy Freke, Philip Gardiner, John Turner, Karen
      King, Marvin Meyer, Margaret Starbird, Bart Ehrman, Bierger Pearson,
      Acharya S., and Robert Price, just to name a few.

      Also, shows can now be purchased on CD at half the price and twice the
      quality. And you can download files in bulk digital audio for an even
      better price. Information is on my homepage
      http://www.thegodabovegod.com/.

      Donations are always appreciated. Support the Gnostic Media and the
      only show out there dealing with Gnosticism, the Gnostics and Gnosis.
      I make no substantial profit but simply re-invest in equipment,
      software, Korean midgets, studio rent and all sort of Demiurgic stuff.
      This is one Gnostic who isn't quitting his day job.

      And like I've always said, if you've got holes in your pockets let me
      know and I'll send you shows for no cost at all.

      Abraxas