Re: Taxonomy of Gnostic, Proto-Gnostic, Semi-Gnostic, Pseodo-Gnostic etc..

  • thalprin
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 16, 2008
    • thalprin
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 16, 2008
        PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking around,
        I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to see/consider
        making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the family
        tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins a/o
        relatives.

        I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
        affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by, partly
        adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might be
        most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
        philosophical sense.

        Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?

        Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are a
        great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you to do
        so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good examples.

        Thalprin
      • George
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 16, 2008
          PMCV:

          What a great idea ! To develop a taxonomy... naturally
          this is subject to exactly how gnosticism is defined.

          But let's say we get a definition that everyone (or most
          everyone) finds adequate.

          What I have seen is that an inspirational idea like gnosticism
          leap-frogs from one community to another.

          Whether a gnostic system is raw or fully matured, there is leader
          or community that becomes influenced by just reading about it, and
          maybe even puts a new spin on it.

          And there you have yet another gnostic group.

          It's very much like Protestantism. Once you had a vigorous
          tradition of religion not controlled by the pope, ideas just
          lept from one part of the world to another... based on readings
          or personal meetings.

          If Billy Graham sells 50,000 tapes of his ideas and his preachings,
          there are 50,000 possibilities that the person who receives the
          tape will be inspired to do something ALMOST LIKE Billy Graham.

          If he's on the East coast, and the new community is on the
          West coast, who would know there was a connection, especially
          if the new community has added an important (or not so important)
          element to its theology or practice.

          Conclusion?

          While it may be difficult to build a FULL taxonomy, it should
          be quite possible to build a CHRONOLOGY of gnostic communities!

          I would be delighted if we could just tell what the predecessor
          is to the one existing Gnostic community we have left: the Mandaens.
          What was the immediate ancestor or cousin of the Mandaeans?

          Regards,

          George
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 16, 2008
            Hey George

            >>>What a great idea ! To develop a taxonomy... naturally
            this is subject to exactly how gnosticism is defined.

            But let's say we get a definition that everyone (or most
            everyone) finds adequate.<<<

            Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I am still trying to work on the other
            taxonomy that Thalprin suggests, as well as the timeline.

            As for the definition of Gnosticism (and in this forum we are
            talking about Gnosticism with a capital "G", not gnosticism with the
            small "g"), we are open to some tweeking and discussion.... but...
            the fact that we will attempt to maintain the more
            academic/historical definition as the base is frankly not open to
            debate.

            Think of it another way; if "everyone" (in other forums)
            believed "existentialism" was about any beliefs
            concerning "existance", but there was one last forum dealing only
            with "Existentialism" (the philosophical school)... why should that
            Existentialist forum bow to "everybody" and try to redefine itself
            to talk about the "existentialism" of common understanding? Doesn't
            the Existentialist forum have a right to maintain its study of
            Existentialism with a capitol "E"?

            Public opinion has a place, but this forum is the final refuge for
            those who prefer disambiguation in their study of classical
            Gnosticism.

            PMCV
          • Br Benjamin Assisi
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008

              While it may be difficult to build a FULL taxonomy, it should
              be quite possible to build a CHRONOLOGY of gnostic communities!

              I would be delighted if we could just tell what the predecessor
              is to the one existing Gnostic community we have left: the Mandaens.
              What was the immediate ancestor or cousin of the Mandaeans?

              Regards,

              George

              dositheans , simon, ..with some islam, yes?
              .
            • Sean
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
                I agree.

                All definitions of Gnosticism, gnostism work and all do not work. For me it is like trying to
                define the wind. We know what the wind can do but does that define the wind.

                Pax!

                Sean

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 20, 2008
                  Hey George and Ben

                  George states: >>>I would be delighted if we could just tell what
                  the predecessor is to the one existing Gnostic community we have
                  left: the Mandaens. What was the immediate ancestor or cousin of the
                  Mandaeans?<<<

                  Ben answeres: >>>dositheans , simon, ..with some islam, yes?<<<

                  Although the question of whether Mandaeans are technically "Gnostic"
                  is in debate, they certainly have some attributes in common
                  (especially mythological ones) and they are of interest to those who
                  study classical Gnosticism. I have not personally taken a side in
                  that debate, but I do see why the pros and cons are important.

                  As far as Dositheus and his movement (if it existed), we have so
                  little genuine evidence of who they may have been and obviously some
                  of what we hear is wrong. We have mention of him being the origin of
                  the Saduccees, and mention of him being a follower of John the
                  Baptist. There is no way to reconcile tidbits like thisÂ….. both
                  can't be true at the same time. If we don't know who they were, we
                  can't seriously speculate as to how they could have influenced any
                  particular group.

                  Simon? I have to assume that is Simon Magus, not Simon Peter or some
                  other Simon. Some scholars believe the Mandaeans actually predate
                  this era, but it is hard to say (I have some doubts). However, what
                  we have about Simon's movement is that it was heavily Hellenistic...
                  which the Mandaeans are not. It seems an unlikely origin.

                  Islam? Obviously not an "immediate ancestor" (as per George's
                  question) since the Mandaeans predate Islam. A cousin to Islam?
                  Hmmmm... that may depend on how we make the analogy and how far
                  removed (1st cousin, 6th cousin?). To this day, Mandaean belief
                  states that Islam is "unclean". The literature also talks about
                  Mohammed as the son of the demon "Bizbat" and it is forbidden to
                  accept food or water from Moslems. It is true, however, that there
                  appears to have been a move to appeal to Islamic leaders so as to be
                  accepted as "people of the book", but that need not imply
                  theological influence from Islam.

                  Dr Rudolph points out a number of Ugaritic/Hebrew elements, as well
                  as Persian elements. Lupieri mentions these also, as well as some
                  interesting connections/disagreements with Manichaeism that could
                  imply similar origins or the kind of interaction and rejection that
                  could help shape both movements. Take, for instance, the opposing
                  view between Mani and the Mandaeans about the "living water". It is
                  as if they are both dealing with an identical idea in different
                  ways. So much so that it almost looks like two diverging views
                  within a single cultural venue.

                  PMCV
                • George
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 23, 2008
                    I have no trouble with Dositheus originating out of the
                    Sadducees. I think Josephus was of a Sadducee family
                    as well.

                    This should help in harmonizing a Sadducee origin AND of
                    later being a follower of John the Baptist.

                    Regards,

                    George
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 24, 2008
                      George

                      >>>I think Josephus was of a Sadducee family
                      as well.<<<

                      I have heard some recent speculation about that possibility but
                      Josephus himself speaks of the Sadducees in negative terms and
                      doesn't seem to include himself amongst their number.

                      Anyway, more important to our subject....

                      >>>I have no trouble with Dositheus originating out of the
                      Sadducees.<<<

                      You don't quote me, but since your post relates to my recent post on
                      the same subject I am guessing you may be answering my response to
                      Ben.

                      The source I was pointing to (pseudo-Tertullian) does not state that
                      Dositheus originated out of the Sadducees, but that they originated
                      out of him. In other words, he created the Sadducees. I find this
                      very unlikely, but if it were true he would be long dead by the time
                      of John. Your idea that he instead came from the Sadducees is
                      obviously far more possible.

                      To some extent it simply boils down to which accounts seem more
                      reliable. Several heresiological sources state that he was a
                      Samaritan, and the Dosithean sect is referred to as a form of
                      Samaritanism in both Jewish and Arabic accounts. In these
                      descriptions of the Dositheans they do not appear to be in any way
                      related to the Simonians the way some heresiologists relate, nor do
                      they look to be very Gnostic.

                      Outside of that, I'm not really aware of any evidence linking the
                      Dositheans and the Mandaeans. Perhaps Ben had a specific source in
                      mind when he presented the possible connection? If so, maybe he can
                      shed some light on the subject.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 24, 2008
                        Hey Thalprin (and anyone else), I am trying to work on this chart.
                        Any other specific groups you would like to see included?

                        Also, I have the timeline pretty well worked out but I am still
                        having a hard time finding a program that will give me the graphic
                        tools I need (or maybe my skill with the programs I have is what is
                        lacking). Anyone want to help?

                        PMCV

                        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:

                        > PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking
                        around,
                        > I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to see/consider
                        > making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the family
                        > tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins a/o
                        > relatives.
                        >
                        > I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                        > affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by, partly
                        > adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might be
                        > most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                        > philosophical sense.
                        >
                        > Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?
                        >
                        > Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are a
                        > great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you to
                        do
                        > so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good examples.
                        >

                        > Thalprin

                      • thalprin
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 25, 2008
                          PMCV, I'd like to say that I think this is quite an admirable project
                          you're working on. I also understand the desire to be as
                          historically accurate and as comprehensive as is or can be possible,
                          and yes I suspect that that's no small feat. I thought perhaps at
                          the moment we might like to peruse/review, so I'm sending a few links
                          to subjects/sites and orgs which might help or begin to help us to
                          know/assure that we're being thorough.

                          Regarding the timeline, I think I'd like to offer my assistance to
                          illustrate the timeline in Photoshop - if you send me your list and
                          tell me what, specifically, you have in mind. It's not a problem, I
                          think I'd enjoy to help.

                          Now I'll have a look back at the list and see what we've gathered
                          thus far, and give some thought to what I might like to suggest we
                          add (if anything).

                          Thalprin

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_of_Alexandria

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestorius

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenouda_the_Archimandrite

                          http://www.stshenouda.com/stshenda/shenvita.htm
                          (Check out that 3rd category,)

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theopaschite_controversy

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_Christianity

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church_of_Jerusalem

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Orthodox_Churches

                          Some Codex:
                          (I saw a Codex exhibit just awhile back - I was so impressed, these
                          are really such exceptional works,)

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alexandrinus

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Amiatinus

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Bezae

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Calixtinus

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Ephraemi_Rescriptus

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Sinaiticus

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_Codex

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Codex

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novgorod_Codex

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossano_Gospels

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinope_Gospels

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Genesis

                          http://www.vetuslatina.org/

                          http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/

                          http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook2.html#conc2

                          http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/index.html

                          > Hey Thalprin (and anyone else), I am trying to work on this chart.
                          > Any other specific groups you would like to see included?
                          >
                          > Also, I have the timeline pretty well worked out but I am still
                          > having a hard time finding a program that will give me the graphic
                          > tools I need (or maybe my skill with the programs I have is what is
                          > lacking). Anyone want to help?
                          >
                          > PMCV
                          >
                          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking
                          > around,
                          > > I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to see/consider
                          > > making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the
                          family
                          > > tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins a/o
                          > > relatives.
                          > >
                          > > I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                          > > affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by, partly
                          > > adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might be
                          > > most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                          > > philosophical sense.
                          > >
                          > > Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?
                          > >
                          > > Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are a
                          > > great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you to
                          > do
                          > > so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good examples.
                          > >

                          > > Thalprin

                        • thalprin
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 25, 2008
                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:

                            > PMCV, I'd like to say that I think this is quite an admirable
                            project
                            > you're working on. I also understand the desire to be as
                            > historically accurate and as comprehensive as is or can be
                            possible,
                            > and yes I suspect that that's no small feat. I thought perhaps at
                            > the moment we might like to peruse/review, so I'm sending a few
                            links
                            > to subjects/sites and orgs which might help or begin to help us to
                            > know/assure that we're being thorough.
                            >
                            > Regarding the timeline, I think I'd like to offer my assistance to
                            > illustrate the timeline in Photoshop - if you send me your list and
                            > tell me what, specifically, you have in mind. It's not a problem,
                            > think I'd enjoy to help.
                            >
                            > Now I'll have a look back at the list and see what we've gathered
                            > thus far, and give some thought to what I might like to suggest we
                            > add (if anything).
                            >
                            > Thalprin
                            >

                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_of_Alexandria
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestorius
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenouda_the_Archimandrite
                            >
                            > http://www.stshenouda.com/stshenda/shenvita.htm
                            > (Check out that 3rd category,)
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theopaschite_controversy
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_Christianity
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church_of_Jerusalem
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Orthodox_Churches
                            >

                            > Some Codex:
                            > (I saw a Codex exhibit just awhile back - I was so impressed, these
                            > are really such exceptional works,)
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alexandrinus
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Amiatinus
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Bezae
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Calixtinus
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Ephraemi_Rescriptus
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Sinaiticus
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_Codex
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Codex
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novgorod_Codex
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossano_Gospels
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinope_Gospels
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Genesis

                            Just a little note to add; it's amazing how some of these Codex we
                            have we have a/o survived because of the Cotton Library:

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_library

                            > http://www.vetuslatina.org/
                            >
                            > http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/
                            >
                            > http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook2.html#conc2
                            >
                            > http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/index.html
                            >

                            > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hey Thalprin (and anyone else), I am trying to work on this
                            chart.
                            > > Any other specific groups you would like to see included?
                            > >
                            > > Also, I have the timeline pretty well worked out but I am still
                            > > having a hard time finding a program that will give me the
                            graphic
                            > > tools I need (or maybe my skill with the programs I have is what
                            is
                            > > lacking). Anyone want to help?
                            > >
                            > > PMCV
                            > >
                            > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking
                            > > around,
                            > > > I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to
                            see/consider
                            > > > making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the
                            > family
                            > > > tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins
                            a/o
                            > > > relatives.
                            > > >
                            > > > I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                            > > > affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by,
                            partly
                            > > > adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might
                            be
                            > > > most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                            > > > philosophical sense.
                            > > >
                            > > > Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?
                            > > >
                            > > > Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are
                            > > > great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you
                            > > do
                            > > > so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good
                            examples.

                            > > > Thalprin

                          • George
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
                              Since no one has furthered this thread, I thought I would
                              make minor comments about things that could be very important
                              later.

                              I mentioned my thoughts favorable to Josephus originating out
                              of a Sadducee family.

                              PMCV's response was "I have heard some recent speculation about that
                              possibility but Josephus himself speaks of the Sadducees in negative
                              terms and doesn't seem to include himself amongst their number."

                              This is much like someone who went to parochial (Catholic) school
                              and then grew up to join a Protestant denomination. Negative
                              comments would be expected. As to "speculation", it is almost
                              certain that Josephus was Sadducee, since it is not a CHOICE
                              to become a Sadducee, and he was quite specific about trying
                              the three main Jewish "schools". In his work LIFE (books 10-12),
                              he discusses the Pharisees and the Essenes in detail. But
                              there is no comment about him being a Sadducee.

                              This leaves us with the simple conclusion that he didn't need
                              to: he was RAISED a Sadduccee (there really wasn't any other
                              way to become one - - other than by marriage one supposes).

                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 14, 2008
                                George

                                >>>Since no one has furthered this thread, I thought I would
                                make minor comments about things that could be very important
                                later.

                                <snipped for brevity>

                                This leaves us with the simple conclusion that he didn't need
                                to: he was RAISED a Sadduccee (there really wasn't any other
                                way to become one - - other than by marriage one supposes).<<<

                                Certianly one of a number of possibilities that scholars debate.
                                Obviously neither the Sadducees nor Josephus were Gnostics, but since
                                we are dealing with that time period perhaps they will come up now and
                                again.

                                >>>In reference to Dositheus, PMCV writes:
                                "Several heresiological sources state that he was a Samaritan, and
                                the Dosithean sect is referred to as a form of Samaritanism in both
                                Jewish and Arabic accounts."<<<

                                I was a little confused by your quoting me above. It doesn't seem to
                                relate to your point above, so I am wondering if you intended to add a
                                response and maybe forgot?