Re: Taxonomy of Gnostic, Proto-Gnostic, Semi-Gnostic, Pseodo-Gnostic etc..

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 6, 2008
      Hey Thalprin

      >>>Yes, I'd like to see that, I think that'd be interesting.
      Perhaps would you include such as time line a/o location?<<<

      I actually tried to create a timeline some years back, but I ran into
      some problems (partly basic computer problems). In any event, I think
      these charts would have to be unconnected. A timeline would not follow
      a taxonomy in this case. I'll play with some programs and see how I
      may best present this kind of chart on this forum. Any suggestions
      would be helpful.

      PMCV
    • thalprin
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 7, 2008
        Sounds good PMCV and thanks, this taxonomy could be very interesting I
        think - I'll look forward to seeing it. If any suggestions come to
        mind I'll certainly pass them along.

        Thalprin

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 13, 2008
          Hey Thalprin

          Ok, I finally got the categorical graph done. It is in the "Files"
          section of our home page.

          http://tinyurl.com/ypvla3

          I was trying to play with some family tree programs and some better
          graphics programs, but in the end I realized that if I was ever
          going to get it done I needed to keep it simple. Even though I call
          this a "family tree", it is meant to show categorical relations
          rather than cause and effect. For instance, obviously Sethianism and
          Valentinianism are FORMS of Gnosticism, rather than something that
          grew out of Gnosticism. On the other hand, Kabbalah likely actually
          grew out of Merkabah.

          I should point out that some scholars (like Birger Pearson) believe
          that Hermetism actually does contain Biblical elements. If this is
          true, the chart would need to be adjusted accordingly.

          Anyone have thoughts, questions, points, etc?

          PMCV

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:

          > Sounds good PMCV and thanks, this taxonomy could be very
          interesting I
          > think - I'll look forward to seeing it. If any suggestions come
          > mind I'll certainly pass them along.
          >
          > Thalprin
          >

          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey Thalprin

          > > Perhaps would you include such as time line a/o location?<<<
          > >
          > > I actually tried to create a timeline some years back, but I ran
          into
          > > some problems (partly basic computer problems). In any event, I
          think
          > > these charts would have to be unconnected. A timeline would not
          > follow
          > > a taxonomy in this case. I'll play with some programs and see
          how I
          > > may best present this kind of chart on this forum. Any
          suggestions
          > > would be helpful.
          > >
          > > PMCV

        • thalprin
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 14, 2008
            It's nice PMCV, I like this graph.

            Something does come to mind, but I'm not sure what that is as yet.
            Today I have a busy plate, tomorrow I'll see if I can figure out what
            I'm feeling/thinking, or what's catching my eye.

            Thalprin

            > Hey Thalprin
            >
            > Ok, I finally got the categorical graph done. It is in the "Files"
            > section of our home page.
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/ypvla3
            >
            > I was trying to play with some family tree programs and some better
            > graphics programs, but in the end I realized that if I was ever
            > going to get it done I needed to keep it simple. Even though I call
            > this a "family tree", it is meant to show categorical relations
            > rather than cause and effect. For instance, obviously Sethianism
            and
            > Valentinianism are FORMS of Gnosticism, rather than something that
            > grew out of Gnosticism. On the other hand, Kabbalah likely actually
            > grew out of Merkabah.
            >
            > I should point out that some scholars (like Birger Pearson) believe
            > that Hermetism actually does contain Biblical elements. If this is
            > true, the chart would need to be adjusted accordingly.
            >
            > Anyone have thoughts, questions, points, etc?
            >
            > PMCV
            >

            > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sounds good PMCV and thanks, this taxonomy could be very
            > interesting I
            > > think - I'll look forward to seeing it. If any suggestions come
            > > mind I'll certainly pass them along.
            > >
            > > Thalprin
            > >

            > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hey Thalprin

            > > > Perhaps would you include such as time line a/o location?<<<
            > > >
            > > > I actually tried to create a timeline some years back, but I
            ran
            > into
            > > > some problems (partly basic computer problems). In any event, I
            > think
            > > > these charts would have to be unconnected. A timeline would not
            > > follow
            > > > a taxonomy in this case. I'll play with some programs and see
            > how I
            > > > may best present this kind of chart on this forum. Any
            > suggestions
            > > > would be helpful.
            > > >
            > > > PMCV

          • Michael Leavitt
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 14, 2008
              pmcvflag wrote:
              > I should point out that some scholars (like Birger Pearson) believe
              > that Hermetism actually does contain Biblical elements. If this is
              > true, the chart would need to be adjusted accordingly.
              >
              > Anyone have thoughts, questions, points, etc.

              Pmvc,

              What biblical elements are in Hermeticism, and where.
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 14, 2008
                Hey Michael

                >>>What biblical elements are in Hermeticism, and where.<<<

                I don't remember the details (it isn't my theory... I just wanted to
                give equal time for Pearson because I think his point is interesting),
                but if I recall it is in Pearson's book "Gnosticism, Judaism, and
                Egyptian Christianity". I don't believe he argues this
                for "Hermeticism" (as you state) but for "Hermetism" (there is an
                important difference). Either way, his point has been one of the
                stronger reasons to connect Sethianism with Hermetism... in my view.

                Still, there is a reason I did not include this view in my graph.

                It would be very easy to change the chart to reflect his basic point.
                Would you like me to do that? I will not lie, I don't think we should
                do so just yet.

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 15, 2008
                  I actually had typed more on that post, but I was editing and I left
                  some things off on accident *lol*. I meant to add that the reason I
                  didn't want to change the graph right away is that I hoped a number
                  of people would have some points or questions dealing with the
                  categories that we could use to create a larger graph. Maybe some
                  people even have been thinking of the categories in a very different
                  way, or even disagree with this chart for some reason.

                  I was also trying to do the timeline, but I just can't seem to make
                  it look readable.

                  > Hey Michael

                  > I don't remember the details (it isn't my theory... I just wanted
                  > give equal time for Pearson because I think his point is
                  interesting),
                  > but if I recall it is in Pearson's book "Gnosticism, Judaism, and
                  > Egyptian Christianity". I don't believe he argues this
                  > for "Hermeticism" (as you state) but for "Hermetism" (there is an
                  > important difference). Either way, his point has been one of the
                  > stronger reasons to connect Sethianism with Hermetism... in my
                  view.

                  > Still, there is a reason I did not include this view in my graph.
                  >
                  > It would be very easy to change the chart to reflect his basic
                  point.
                  > Would you like me to do that? I will not lie, I don't think we
                  should
                  > do so just yet.
                  >
                  > PMCV

                • Michael Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 15, 2008
                    i AGREE.

                    pmcvflag wrote:
                    > Hey Michael

                    > I don't remember the details (it isn't my theory... I just wanted to
                    > give equal time for Pearson because I think his point is interesting),
                    > but if I recall it is in Pearson's book "Gnosticism, Judaism, and
                    > Egyptian Christianity". I don't believe he argues this
                    > for "Hermeticism" (as you state) but for "Hermetism" (there is an
                    > important difference). Either way, his point has been one of the
                    > stronger reasons to connect Sethianism with Hermetism... in my view.
                    >
                    > Still, there is a reason I did not include this view in my graph.
                    >
                    > It would be very easy to change the chart to reflect his basic point.
                    > Would you like me to do that? I will not lie, I don't think we should
                    > do so just yet.
                    >
                    > PMCV
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • thalprin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 16, 2008
                    • thalprin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 16, 2008
                        PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking around,
                        I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to see/consider
                        making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the family
                        tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins a/o
                        relatives.

                        I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                        affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by, partly
                        adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might be
                        most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                        philosophical sense.

                        Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?

                        Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are a
                        great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you to do
                        so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good examples.

                        Thalprin
                      • George
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 16, 2008
                          PMCV:

                          What a great idea ! To develop a taxonomy... naturally
                          this is subject to exactly how gnosticism is defined.

                          But let's say we get a definition that everyone (or most
                          everyone) finds adequate.

                          What I have seen is that an inspirational idea like gnosticism
                          leap-frogs from one community to another.

                          Whether a gnostic system is raw or fully matured, there is leader
                          or community that becomes influenced by just reading about it, and
                          maybe even puts a new spin on it.

                          And there you have yet another gnostic group.

                          It's very much like Protestantism. Once you had a vigorous
                          tradition of religion not controlled by the pope, ideas just
                          lept from one part of the world to another... based on readings
                          or personal meetings.

                          If Billy Graham sells 50,000 tapes of his ideas and his preachings,
                          there are 50,000 possibilities that the person who receives the
                          tape will be inspired to do something ALMOST LIKE Billy Graham.

                          If he's on the East coast, and the new community is on the
                          West coast, who would know there was a connection, especially
                          if the new community has added an important (or not so important)
                          element to its theology or practice.

                          Conclusion?

                          While it may be difficult to build a FULL taxonomy, it should
                          be quite possible to build a CHRONOLOGY of gnostic communities!

                          I would be delighted if we could just tell what the predecessor
                          is to the one existing Gnostic community we have left: the Mandaens.
                          What was the immediate ancestor or cousin of the Mandaeans?

                          Regards,

                          George
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 16, 2008
                            Hey George

                            >>>What a great idea ! To develop a taxonomy... naturally
                            this is subject to exactly how gnosticism is defined.

                            But let's say we get a definition that everyone (or most
                            everyone) finds adequate.<<<

                            Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I am still trying to work on the other
                            taxonomy that Thalprin suggests, as well as the timeline.

                            As for the definition of Gnosticism (and in this forum we are
                            talking about Gnosticism with a capital "G", not gnosticism with the
                            small "g"), we are open to some tweeking and discussion.... but...
                            the fact that we will attempt to maintain the more
                            academic/historical definition as the base is frankly not open to
                            debate.

                            Think of it another way; if "everyone" (in other forums)
                            believed "existentialism" was about any beliefs
                            concerning "existance", but there was one last forum dealing only
                            with "Existentialism" (the philosophical school)... why should that
                            Existentialist forum bow to "everybody" and try to redefine itself
                            to talk about the "existentialism" of common understanding? Doesn't
                            the Existentialist forum have a right to maintain its study of
                            Existentialism with a capitol "E"?

                            Public opinion has a place, but this forum is the final refuge for
                            those who prefer disambiguation in their study of classical
                            Gnosticism.

                            PMCV
                          • Br Benjamin Assisi
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008

                              While it may be difficult to build a FULL taxonomy, it should
                              be quite possible to build a CHRONOLOGY of gnostic communities!

                              I would be delighted if we could just tell what the predecessor
                              is to the one existing Gnostic community we have left: the Mandaens.
                              What was the immediate ancestor or cousin of the Mandaeans?

                              Regards,

                              George

                              dositheans , simon, ..with some islam, yes?
                              .
                            • Sean
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
                                I agree.

                                All definitions of Gnosticism, gnostism work and all do not work. For me it is like trying to
                                define the wind. We know what the wind can do but does that define the wind.

                                Pax!

                                Sean

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 20, 2008
                                  Hey George and Ben

                                  George states: >>>I would be delighted if we could just tell what
                                  the predecessor is to the one existing Gnostic community we have
                                  left: the Mandaens. What was the immediate ancestor or cousin of the
                                  Mandaeans?<<<

                                  Ben answeres: >>>dositheans , simon, ..with some islam, yes?<<<

                                  Although the question of whether Mandaeans are technically "Gnostic"
                                  is in debate, they certainly have some attributes in common
                                  (especially mythological ones) and they are of interest to those who
                                  study classical Gnosticism. I have not personally taken a side in
                                  that debate, but I do see why the pros and cons are important.

                                  As far as Dositheus and his movement (if it existed), we have so
                                  little genuine evidence of who they may have been and obviously some
                                  of what we hear is wrong. We have mention of him being the origin of
                                  the Saduccees, and mention of him being a follower of John the
                                  Baptist. There is no way to reconcile tidbits like thisÂ….. both
                                  can't be true at the same time. If we don't know who they were, we
                                  can't seriously speculate as to how they could have influenced any
                                  particular group.

                                  Simon? I have to assume that is Simon Magus, not Simon Peter or some
                                  other Simon. Some scholars believe the Mandaeans actually predate
                                  this era, but it is hard to say (I have some doubts). However, what
                                  we have about Simon's movement is that it was heavily Hellenistic...
                                  which the Mandaeans are not. It seems an unlikely origin.

                                  Islam? Obviously not an "immediate ancestor" (as per George's
                                  question) since the Mandaeans predate Islam. A cousin to Islam?
                                  Hmmmm... that may depend on how we make the analogy and how far
                                  removed (1st cousin, 6th cousin?). To this day, Mandaean belief
                                  states that Islam is "unclean". The literature also talks about
                                  Mohammed as the son of the demon "Bizbat" and it is forbidden to
                                  accept food or water from Moslems. It is true, however, that there
                                  appears to have been a move to appeal to Islamic leaders so as to be
                                  accepted as "people of the book", but that need not imply
                                  theological influence from Islam.

                                  Dr Rudolph points out a number of Ugaritic/Hebrew elements, as well
                                  as Persian elements. Lupieri mentions these also, as well as some
                                  interesting connections/disagreements with Manichaeism that could
                                  imply similar origins or the kind of interaction and rejection that
                                  could help shape both movements. Take, for instance, the opposing
                                  view between Mani and the Mandaeans about the "living water". It is
                                  as if they are both dealing with an identical idea in different
                                  ways. So much so that it almost looks like two diverging views
                                  within a single cultural venue.

                                  PMCV
                                • George
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 23, 2008
                                    I have no trouble with Dositheus originating out of the
                                    Sadducees. I think Josephus was of a Sadducee family
                                    as well.

                                    This should help in harmonizing a Sadducee origin AND of
                                    later being a follower of John the Baptist.

                                    Regards,

                                    George
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 24, 2008
                                      George

                                      >>>I think Josephus was of a Sadducee family
                                      as well.<<<

                                      I have heard some recent speculation about that possibility but
                                      Josephus himself speaks of the Sadducees in negative terms and
                                      doesn't seem to include himself amongst their number.

                                      Anyway, more important to our subject....

                                      >>>I have no trouble with Dositheus originating out of the
                                      Sadducees.<<<

                                      You don't quote me, but since your post relates to my recent post on
                                      the same subject I am guessing you may be answering my response to
                                      Ben.

                                      The source I was pointing to (pseudo-Tertullian) does not state that
                                      Dositheus originated out of the Sadducees, but that they originated
                                      out of him. In other words, he created the Sadducees. I find this
                                      very unlikely, but if it were true he would be long dead by the time
                                      of John. Your idea that he instead came from the Sadducees is
                                      obviously far more possible.

                                      To some extent it simply boils down to which accounts seem more
                                      reliable. Several heresiological sources state that he was a
                                      Samaritan, and the Dosithean sect is referred to as a form of
                                      Samaritanism in both Jewish and Arabic accounts. In these
                                      descriptions of the Dositheans they do not appear to be in any way
                                      related to the Simonians the way some heresiologists relate, nor do
                                      they look to be very Gnostic.

                                      Outside of that, I'm not really aware of any evidence linking the
                                      Dositheans and the Mandaeans. Perhaps Ben had a specific source in
                                      mind when he presented the possible connection? If so, maybe he can
                                      shed some light on the subject.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 24, 2008
                                        Hey Thalprin (and anyone else), I am trying to work on this chart.
                                        Any other specific groups you would like to see included?

                                        Also, I have the timeline pretty well worked out but I am still
                                        having a hard time finding a program that will give me the graphic
                                        tools I need (or maybe my skill with the programs I have is what is
                                        lacking). Anyone want to help?

                                        PMCV

                                        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:

                                        > PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking
                                        around,
                                        > I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to see/consider
                                        > making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the family
                                        > tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins a/o
                                        > relatives.
                                        >
                                        > I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                                        > affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by, partly
                                        > adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might be
                                        > most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                                        > philosophical sense.
                                        >
                                        > Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?
                                        >
                                        > Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are a
                                        > great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you to
                                        do
                                        > so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good examples.
                                        >

                                        > Thalprin

                                      • thalprin
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 25, 2008
                                          PMCV, I'd like to say that I think this is quite an admirable project
                                          you're working on. I also understand the desire to be as
                                          historically accurate and as comprehensive as is or can be possible,
                                          and yes I suspect that that's no small feat. I thought perhaps at
                                          the moment we might like to peruse/review, so I'm sending a few links
                                          to subjects/sites and orgs which might help or begin to help us to
                                          know/assure that we're being thorough.

                                          Regarding the timeline, I think I'd like to offer my assistance to
                                          illustrate the timeline in Photoshop - if you send me your list and
                                          tell me what, specifically, you have in mind. It's not a problem, I
                                          think I'd enjoy to help.

                                          Now I'll have a look back at the list and see what we've gathered
                                          thus far, and give some thought to what I might like to suggest we
                                          add (if anything).

                                          Thalprin

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_of_Alexandria

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestorius

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenouda_the_Archimandrite

                                          http://www.stshenouda.com/stshenda/shenvita.htm
                                          (Check out that 3rd category,)

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theopaschite_controversy

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_Christianity

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church_of_Jerusalem

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Orthodox_Churches

                                          Some Codex:
                                          (I saw a Codex exhibit just awhile back - I was so impressed, these
                                          are really such exceptional works,)

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alexandrinus

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Amiatinus

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Bezae

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Calixtinus

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Ephraemi_Rescriptus

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Sinaiticus

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_Codex

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Codex

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novgorod_Codex

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossano_Gospels

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinope_Gospels

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Genesis

                                          http://www.vetuslatina.org/

                                          http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/

                                          http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook2.html#conc2

                                          http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/index.html

                                          > Hey Thalprin (and anyone else), I am trying to work on this chart.
                                          > Any other specific groups you would like to see included?
                                          >
                                          > Also, I have the timeline pretty well worked out but I am still
                                          > having a hard time finding a program that will give me the graphic
                                          > tools I need (or maybe my skill with the programs I have is what is
                                          > lacking). Anyone want to help?
                                          >
                                          > PMCV
                                          >
                                          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking
                                          > around,
                                          > > I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to see/consider
                                          > > making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the
                                          family
                                          > > tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins a/o
                                          > > relatives.
                                          > >
                                          > > I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                                          > > affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by, partly
                                          > > adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might be
                                          > > most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                                          > > philosophical sense.
                                          > >
                                          > > Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?
                                          > >
                                          > > Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are a
                                          > > great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you to
                                          > do
                                          > > so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good examples.
                                          > >

                                          > > Thalprin

                                        • thalprin
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 25, 2008
                                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:

                                            > PMCV, I'd like to say that I think this is quite an admirable
                                            project
                                            > you're working on. I also understand the desire to be as
                                            > historically accurate and as comprehensive as is or can be
                                            possible,
                                            > and yes I suspect that that's no small feat. I thought perhaps at
                                            > the moment we might like to peruse/review, so I'm sending a few
                                            links
                                            > to subjects/sites and orgs which might help or begin to help us to
                                            > know/assure that we're being thorough.
                                            >
                                            > Regarding the timeline, I think I'd like to offer my assistance to
                                            > illustrate the timeline in Photoshop - if you send me your list and
                                            > tell me what, specifically, you have in mind. It's not a problem,
                                            > think I'd enjoy to help.
                                            >
                                            > Now I'll have a look back at the list and see what we've gathered
                                            > thus far, and give some thought to what I might like to suggest we
                                            > add (if anything).
                                            >
                                            > Thalprin
                                            >

                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_of_Alexandria
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestorius
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenouda_the_Archimandrite
                                            >
                                            > http://www.stshenouda.com/stshenda/shenvita.htm
                                            > (Check out that 3rd category,)
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theopaschite_controversy
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_Christianity
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church_of_Jerusalem
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Orthodox_Churches
                                            >

                                            > Some Codex:
                                            > (I saw a Codex exhibit just awhile back - I was so impressed, these
                                            > are really such exceptional works,)
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alexandrinus
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Amiatinus
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Bezae
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Calixtinus
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Ephraemi_Rescriptus
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Sinaiticus
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_Codex
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Codex
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novgorod_Codex
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossano_Gospels
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinope_Gospels
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Genesis

                                            Just a little note to add; it's amazing how some of these Codex we
                                            have we have a/o survived because of the Cotton Library:

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_library

                                            > http://www.vetuslatina.org/
                                            >
                                            > http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/
                                            >
                                            > http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook2.html#conc2
                                            >
                                            > http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/index.html
                                            >

                                            > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hey Thalprin (and anyone else), I am trying to work on this
                                            chart.
                                            > > Any other specific groups you would like to see included?
                                            > >
                                            > > Also, I have the timeline pretty well worked out but I am still
                                            > > having a hard time finding a program that will give me the
                                            graphic
                                            > > tools I need (or maybe my skill with the programs I have is what
                                            is
                                            > > lacking). Anyone want to help?
                                            > >
                                            > > PMCV
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking
                                            > > around,
                                            > > > I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to
                                            see/consider
                                            > > > making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the
                                            > family
                                            > > > tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins
                                            a/o
                                            > > > relatives.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                                            > > > affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by,
                                            partly
                                            > > > adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might
                                            be
                                            > > > most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                                            > > > philosophical sense.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are
                                            > > > great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you
                                            > > do
                                            > > > so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good
                                            examples.

                                            > > > Thalprin

                                          • George
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
                                              Since no one has furthered this thread, I thought I would
                                              make minor comments about things that could be very important
                                              later.

                                              I mentioned my thoughts favorable to Josephus originating out
                                              of a Sadducee family.

                                              PMCV's response was "I have heard some recent speculation about that
                                              possibility but Josephus himself speaks of the Sadducees in negative
                                              terms and doesn't seem to include himself amongst their number."

                                              This is much like someone who went to parochial (Catholic) school
                                              and then grew up to join a Protestant denomination. Negative
                                              comments would be expected. As to "speculation", it is almost
                                              certain that Josephus was Sadducee, since it is not a CHOICE
                                              to become a Sadducee, and he was quite specific about trying
                                              the three main Jewish "schools". In his work LIFE (books 10-12),
                                              he discusses the Pharisees and the Essenes in detail. But
                                              there is no comment about him being a Sadducee.

                                              This leaves us with the simple conclusion that he didn't need
                                              to: he was RAISED a Sadduccee (there really wasn't any other
                                              way to become one - - other than by marriage one supposes).

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 14, 2008
                                                George

                                                >>>Since no one has furthered this thread, I thought I would
                                                make minor comments about things that could be very important
                                                later.

                                                <snipped for brevity>

                                                This leaves us with the simple conclusion that he didn't need
                                                to: he was RAISED a Sadduccee (there really wasn't any other
                                                way to become one - - other than by marriage one supposes).<<<

                                                Certianly one of a number of possibilities that scholars debate.
                                                Obviously neither the Sadducees nor Josephus were Gnostics, but since
                                                we are dealing with that time period perhaps they will come up now and
                                                again.

                                                >>>In reference to Dositheus, PMCV writes:
                                                "Several heresiological sources state that he was a Samaritan, and
                                                the Dosithean sect is referred to as a form of Samaritanism in both
                                                Jewish and Arabic accounts."<<<

                                                I was a little confused by your quoting me above. It doesn't seem to
                                                relate to your point above, so I am wondering if you intended to add a
                                                response and maybe forgot?